Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have the specific drifter is front of me, but its the one that let's you claim two successive lodes (on either player's turn) at a cost of $8. Can you play this card if you are not claiming the first lode? If yes, do you a) steal both lodes or b) just the second?

My original interpretation, I believe that a player is only allowed to use this card when THEY are claiming the first lode. After listening to a logical argument from my wife, I was half leaning on b) above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Scott Starkey will give an official ruling, but I am quite certain that the intent of this drifter (Karl Vancouver) is that you must be the one claiming the first lode. That is, the prospecting roll indicated one of your camps.

This card would be way too powerful if you could steal a lode as well. (It would be only $2 more than the one that does allow you to steal a lode!) Your (b) option is also too advantageous, IMO. This drifter is expensive, but can easily pay for itself in several mines. Moreso, it can be used to cinch the game when you're leading by quickly closing the last location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was comparing the costs of the other drifters as well and came to the same conclusion. But, of course, my wife wants it in writing.

I used this drifter in our first game to grab a $20 lode, which resulted in a closed mine, which ended the game. She wasn't happy... and was just itching for payback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Starkey
United States
Dayton
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, from the rules: "Unless otherwise noted on the card, drifters may only be used on the owner's turn." So, since the card doesn't say you can use it on another player's turn, you can only use it on your own.

Thanks for the question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, Scott, this one does state that you can use it on another player's turn.

The question is whether you can use it when another player's camp is indicated by the prospecting roll (regardless of who made the prospecting roll). I'm still saying no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Starkey
United States
Dayton
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, I didn't look it up, and didn't realize it had that wording. Egads, I just looked at the wording of that card, and it really sucks. Someone, quick, slap the game designer.

My intention was this: If it's another player's turn, you get the second lode, but the main player gets the first lode.

Thanks. I'll put that in an errata somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.