Popular Tags: [View All]
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what are the rules differences?

One question I have as the rules do not seem that different is that Dé states that it takes 2 hours and D takes 1 hour. Why?

Help,
William
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Times are the same for both games, regardless of what's listed the box. Very few rules revisions, mostly only black die value changes and the addition of Street Race rules.

Times are highly dependent on # in group playing, and proficiency with the rules.

~Will

It takes us 2 hours to do 2 lap races with 3 people running 2 cars each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers. I thought that was the case. Maybe Dé had more laps per race typically?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Formula De tracks cost a lot more !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Herring
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the base games come with the same tracks? Obviously D comes with the street track, but what about the other? I own De, but love the gear boxes on D but would hate pay to "upgrade" just for the gearboxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Huntington
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other side of the D track is Monaco. I'm own both versions, but I'm not at home to see if the tracks are identical or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dé also came in a couple of different versions, so a bit hard to answer some of those questions. Dé came with pre-made sheets for car setups for both 1, 2 and 3-lap races, as well as ones you could just fill out yourself (it was a pen-and-paper system, unlike the pegs-in-cardboard system in D).

I own both, but it really is the same game. We just like the dashboards from the D and the extra car minis for variety, but still use the advanced rules from Dé (with some extra additions, as we play in a league format).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Monaco has one slight track difference (between De and D) in one area near the end between the last 2 corners I believe. One is shorter by a space or two.

We do the same thing... we play with the Gear Boxes from D.

Coming at it from the Aesthetic view, I find the older hand painted tracks to be a bit more interesting, attractive and full of character...much more so than the new ones. That's not to say I have any issues with the new ones at all, they just feel a bit more cut & paste samey with the scenery. Your mileage may very.

~Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raynovich wrote:
Thanks for the answers. I thought that was the case. Maybe Dé had more laps per race typically?

You may be right on the times listed based on a # of lap assumptions. Like the new D could be saying that time for 1 lap (which is the basic game). De' times could be based on the average 2 lap race.

But to be clear both games are designed around the 1/2/3 lap races.

~Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Floydski wrote:

Coming at it from the Aesthetic view, I find the older hand painted tracks to be a bit more interesting, attractive and full of character...much more so than the new ones. That's not to say I have any issues with the new ones at all, they just feel a bit more cut & paste samey with the scenery. Your mileage may very.

Dé tracks were designed by artists laugh
D tracks were designed by an intern with Photoshop skills yuk

Tracks: both have the Monaco track, Dé had Zandvoort Part 1 on the back, D has the street track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I had read someplace that the artwork of the De tracks was considered to be too "Cartoony", while the artwork on the "D" tracks is intended to present a more realistic feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are slight rules differences. In De you roll for pole and 1 goes first, in D a 20 goes first. In De if you cause another car to crash out then you automatically take a body point of damage. This auto damage rule is not in D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The car's characteristics are also different. For instance, in De the car has a "fuel" characteristic. In D, I think that's been replaced by a "Gearbox" with slightly different rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

I had read someplace that the artwork of the De tracks was considered to be too "Cartoony", while the artwork on the "D" tracks is intended to present a more realistic feel.

I like the cartoony style much more than the realistic one. and nice to see a step back to the old style with the new expansion #6

A Formula D track is basically just a wiggly grey band divided into small spaces. Approximately 75-80% of the board isn't neccessary for the game at all, hence filled with a nice background picture.

The usual set of parking lot, pit lane, stands, grassland and safety zones is very much alike from track to track. So filling it with small "easter eggs" or country-specific features is a good idea to fill the spare board space. Tintin rocket and french fries in Spa, Dragon and Castle at Nürburgring, areoplanes in Silverstone.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would I be right to assume D expansion tracks are compatible with De?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elucidarian wrote:

I see no reason they are not. Some of the special rules might not make total sense, but yes, they can be played interchangeably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the tracks have the same size spaces on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Kjær
Denmark
Malling
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
raynovich wrote:
elucidarian wrote:

I see no reason they are not. Some of the special rules might not make total sense, but yes, they can be played interchangeably.

You can use any Formula De track as Formula D also and vice-versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerrin 2
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, I have the older Formula de and I use the newer Formula D tracks with no problems.

I'm actually glad for the newer D tracks being produced as they give me new variety in playing the game as years ago I only bought a couple of the Formula de expansion tracks when they were first available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elucidarian wrote:

Absolutely, 100%. Both ways, and from any edition of the game. The newer expansions sometimes have some "special rules" on the street race side, but you can easily ignore those if you want to. And "The Docks" is just a bad track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I just made a trade for the 1991 English edition, glad to finally have a go at it. (He got my FF Star Wars Card game plus Edge of Darkness expansion, which I think is pretty equitable.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Formula De' but like the rules for the easy game mode in Formula D. So I printed out the easy Formula D rules and use them with my Formula De' copy (18 general damage).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.