Popular Tags: [View All]
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the weakest parts of Posthuman, in my opinion, is the gameplay of a mutant - the posthuman itself.

Once a player becomes a mutant, they get a handful of cards that they can play when certain conditions are met and their primary focus is to play cards that match the players territories to slow human players down.

I think that this is a problem. Human gameplay is interesting as it is a rough journey through ever-increasing difficult environment.

But a player turning into a mutant will make them first of all a near-omnipresent and nothing more than a AI deck controlled by the mutant players.

Here's what I think would improve greatly both the theme and gameplay for both humans and mutants once a player becomes a mutant.

• Players can camp, but they can camp only if they are no more than one distance from one another on the world map.
• Player can be attacked by mutant in the same way: when they are only one distance from the world map.
• Mutant player does not need to do encounters when exploring (but they can if they want to). Essentially they can go through areas easier, catching up with the players ahead of them on the world map to get in range to attack human players.

What this does is that it adds an actual chase element to the game which makes thematic sense as well. If one player has gotten a lead of some kind on the world map, then they get a turn or two of extra time to get away from the range of mutant players. Since the environment and challenges become tougher, the player already has plenty of challenges.

This fixes one of my main problems with the game, I dislike the idea that mutant players can do everything no matter where they are, just because they have a matching card with the player.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that ideia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
great idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe A
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like it as well! Balanced so the mutants are weaker than the human, they get killed and sent back to beginning with a new mutation! Give the humans an option to run away like normal and give the mutants less actions per turn. Lets the humans delay strategically. There's a lot more things that can come out of this. The AI deck doesn't look fun imo.

Seems more useful in a solo game as a bot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gordon calleja
Malta
Siggiewi
Malta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Please have a look at the Ks comments page for my take on this.

Regards,

Gordon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would so much better if you copy/paste those comments here it would be so much better... Trying to find a specific reply in the KS comments is not that easy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Brajer
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
Aspiring Game Designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
It would so much better if you copy/paste those comments here it would be so much better... Trying to find a specific reply in the KS comments is not that easy

Here you go!

"Regarding mutant play, it's great to see so much debate about it but it's not really possible to get a sense for how this plays out until you get a chance to try it in context with the mutant actions and cards.
I addressed the issue with the chase mechanic yesterday, namely that keeping the mutant on the journey track would mean players who fall back do not have the satisfaction of ditching their human selves and jumping right back into the action. Instead one compounds the problem by having the mutant player change but can still end up lagging behind the ones in the lead. This makes the game really boring for that player for the rest of the game.
Regarding camping only when they are close, it ends up reducing player interaction which is something I ve strived for months to increase and improve and is finally at a place which works.
The mutants are not just a different faction that plays the same. They have a whole different worldview and way of being and I want this to be reflected in the game. Aside from this remember that the the two factions aren't level teams you choose from but something you may or may not turn into. It's up to the individual to resist turning and playing mutant or embrace it.
I have wrestled with mutation for close to a year and have gone through three other systems, testing and honing along the way. The current one works really well. We ve tested the current mutant system extensively with various groups of experienced to non experienced gamers of mixed genders and it's worked really well and has generated a lot of excitement.
Until I see that the mutant system is broken from actual playtest sessions I am not sure I ll be changing it. Whilst I understand where you guys are coming from about this, please remember this is a game with strong emergent properties where every card and rule effects others considerably, as does the context within which that matrix of relations occurs (which part of the game, level 1,2 or 3 is it happening? How many mutant players are there? Distance between players on the journey track, character builds in play and so on). So it's close to impossible to predict how the system will work just from the rule book and the video playthrough.
Having said that I ll give more focus to the mutation part of the game in upcoming test sessions to make sure it's not just my wishful thinking .
Thanks!
Gordon"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dessieman wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:

Here you go!

"Regarding mutant play, it's great to see so much debate about it but it's not really possible to get a sense for how this plays out until you get a chance to try it in context with the mutant actions and cards.
I addressed the issue with the chase mechanic yesterday, namely that keeping the mutant on the journey track would mean players who fall back do not have the satisfaction of ditching their human selves and jumping right back into the action. Instead one compounds the problem by having the mutant player change but can still end up lagging behind the ones in the lead. This makes the game really boring for that player for the rest of the game.
Regarding camping only when they are close, it ends up reducing player interaction which is something I ve strived for months to increase and improve and is finally at a place which works.
The mutants are not just a different faction that plays the same. They have a whole different worldview and way of being and I want this to be reflected in the game. Aside from this remember that the the two factions aren't level teams you choose from but something you may or may not turn into. It's up to the individual to resist turning and playing mutant or embrace it.
I have wrestled with mutation for close to a year and have gone through three other systems, testing and honing along the way. The current one works really well. We ve tested the current mutant system extensively with various groups of experienced to non experienced gamers of mixed genders and it's worked really well and has generated a lot of excitement.
Until I see that the mutant system is broken from actual playtest sessions I am not sure I ll be changing it. Whilst I understand where you guys are coming from about this, please remember this is a game with strong emergent properties where every card and rule effects others considerably, as does the context within which that matrix of relations occurs (which part of the game, level 1,2 or 3 is it happening? How many mutant players are there? Distance between players on the journey track, character builds in play and so on). So it's close to impossible to predict how the system will work just from the rule book and the video playthrough.
Having said that I ll give more focus to the mutation part of the game in upcoming test sessions to make sure it's not just my wishful thinking .
Thanks!
Gordon"

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.