Nick O\'Toole
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beholder: Master Aberration reads:
When this die is the first assigned to attack, you may use each of the Basic Actions on their-non burst face as if you had rolled them this turn.

Doctor Strange: Master of the Mystic Arts reads:
While Doctor Strange is active, whenever you use an Action he deals 2 damage to an opponent or character.

So what do we reckon? Does Beholder trigger Strange? Better yet, does Beholder trigger Strange 4 times? Because that could be loads of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Beholder couldn't be clearer with the last few words, "as if you rolled them" being part of the effect. There should be no question at all that yes, Beholder triggers Dr. Strange. And you have to resolve those effects one-at-a-time, which I believe means Strange will indeed shoot for 8 damage.

Mind you, this is a combo that requires one 6-cost die and one 7-cost die both be fielded at the same time. I think you deserve the big blast for all that effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick O\'Toole
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As happens any time I ask a question about rulings, it's because I think I'm right about how it goes and I'm just hoping nobody comes along with an official ruling and saying "No you fool this cool thing doesn't work that way".
I should probably just start trusting myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would still recommend asking on the WizKids Rules Forum if you're in doubt. But if I were your TO, I'd have let that bird fly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
To theory craft the build a bit...

Why not make your two actions Power Bolt and Magic Missile? That's 12 damage to your opponent.

You need PXG to even have a chance of making the Beholder and Strange purchasable.

Since you're attacking, why not combine with Blue Dragon - Lesser Dragon
While Active, whenever you use an action die's ability, deal 1 damage to all characters. Sure, everyone takes 4, but that's basically a clear field. Beholder and Strange can attack and do the other 8 to your opponent, (Beholder and Strange are both 4 attack on Level 1.) So that's 20.

Might be too slow to compete with Ice Man super bolt team, but I think it's playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason gardner
msg tools
I wonder if the 4th post in this thread would apply here http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=44...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fox

Michigan
msg tools
mb
jasongardner wrote:
I wonder if the 4th post in this thread would apply here http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=44...

This surely applies. "Using" an action (for the purposes of Dr. Strange) is when you move the die from your reserve to wherever it is going. No dice are being moved for Beholder, so Dr. Strange doesn't trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Andrews
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Foxman9815 wrote:
jasongardner wrote:

This surely applies. "Using" an action (for the purposes of Dr. Strange) is when you move the die from your reserve to wherever it is going. No dice are being moved for Beholder, so Dr. Strange doesn't trigger.

As stated above, though, the card says 'as if you had rolled them'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked a followup on the rules forum. Hopefully we'll know in a week or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick O\'Toole
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What'dwe reckon for actions that physically use the die, such as Mirror Wall? How does that work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wood
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Trainer Nick wrote:
What'dwe reckon for actions that physically use the die, such as Mirror Wall? How does that work?

I think nothing happens in that situation. You treat it 'as if you had rolled them', but you don't have a physical die to place on an opposing character. Because of this, the ability wouldn't do anything.

I'd welcome a WizKids' ruling that says otherwise though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olly James
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I was under the impression that if u use an action dice for it's energy you weren't using the 'action' thus not triggering Dr Strange?? Like everyone else, I'd love to be wrong, really wanna do something with the good Dr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OllyBeard wrote:
I was under the impression that if u use an action dice for it's energy you weren't using the 'action' thus not triggering Dr Strange?? Like everyone else, I'd love to be wrong, really wanna do something with the good Dr

If the transcript of the Dr's ability in the first post is correct, it states that you need to use an action, not an action die. So using an action die that landed on one of its resource faces is not relevant to the ability. All actions come from action dice, but an action die doesn't always generate an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.