Recommend
38 
 Thumb up
 Hide
144 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Web Based Skirmish Team Builder (updated) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I spent the day hacking together a web based skirmish team builder. I'm just getting started with the skirmish side of the game and I thought this would be helpful in allowing me to ponder some team combinations while at my desk at work. Thought I'd share it here incase anyone else finds it useful.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3781820/ia-squads/index....
http://ia-armies.com/

Currently hosted on dropbox but may move it somewhere more permanent if people find it handy.

If you spot anything odd, or can think of anything to improve it let me know!


UPDATE 2015/04/13:

Added in permalinks and command cards. I will try to improve the UI and add more features like "Recent Squads" when I get the time. Site is now permanently hosted at http://ia-armies.com.

The army permalink pages are responsive so are optimised for smartphones, but the builder is currently desktop only as I haven't figured out a smartphone friendly interface for it yet.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Web Based Skirmish Team Builder
Nice and pleasant to use.

I wouldn't mind a command deck builder too.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Web Based Skirmish Team Builder
Nice!! The command cards definitely would be a great addition.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Brook
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Web Based Skirmish Team Builder
Thanks this is amazing.

Adding command cards is a must and how hard would it be to add away to save squads via logging in to google or Facebook? Also adding a way to print/save the text/save link.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Brook
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Web Based Skirmish Team Builder
Elite Trooper costs 9 not 6.
Mak acc is surge based
Gideon's focus is surge based
Elite nexu cleave 2 is not surge based.

Han and chewie's text gets covered up by their health,defense, and arrack icons.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Web Based Skirmish Team Builder
Impressive.... Most impressive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Re: Web Based Skirmish Team Builder
jonnyb815 wrote:
Elite Trooper costs 9 not 6.
Mak acc is surge based
Gideon's focus is surge based
Elite nexu cleave 2 is not surge based.

Han and chewie's text gets covered up by their health,defense, and arrack icons.


Nicely spotted! Everything was transcribed from the cards so there are probably a few more errors in there. Cheers
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Re: Web Based Skirmish Team Builder
Hipsu wrote:
Nice and pleasant to use.

I wouldn't mind a command deck builder too.


Cormitt wrote:
Nice!! The command cards definitely would be a great addition.


This seems to be a popular opinion It's definitely something I hope to add in the future.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Brook
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Web Based Skirmish Team Builder
jeemusu wrote:
jonnyb815 wrote:
Elite Trooper costs 9 not 6.
Mak acc is surge based
Gideon's focus is surge based
Elite nexu cleave 2 is not surge based.

Han and chewie's text gets covered up by their health,defense, and arrack icons.


Nicely spotted! Everything was transcribed from the cards so there are probably a few more errors in there. Cheers

Yup the Royal Guard has the wrong ability it should be

Vengeance: When an adjacent friendly figure is defeated, you become Focused.

Also the Elite Troopers need 5 health not 3
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Brook
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Web Based Skirmish Team Builder
So I played with the builder a lot last night it really works well and is very simple. I know I pmed you my ideas before I had a chance to play with it.

It does need a way to save the link,Print or save the text other wise I am not sure it will get used a lot. If it has command cards the volume of users will go up but some how saving the squads and going back to them at a later date is what will make the squad builder amazing. I have all the command cards in a excel file if you want them.

Its a great tool right now but not sure how much I would use it without the things above added in the long run.

Thanks
again

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Web Based Skirmish Team Builder
Nice tool to use. I'd love to see a way to export, save, and print. Adding a way to select command cards would also be nice. Thanks for your work!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Brook
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Web Based Skirmish Team Builder
Luke is just Force User not a brawler/Force User.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Gallagher
United States
Fort Lee
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Web Based Skirmish Team Builder
What tool/SDK/language did you develop this in? I've been wanting to get into building web apps like this and never thought of using DropBox as a hosting method.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Re: Web Based Skirmish Team Builder
gallaghertm wrote:
What tool/SDK/language did you develop this in? I've been wanting to get into building web apps like this and never thought of using DropBox as a hosting method.


I used HTML/CSS/JavaScript .If your looking to get started Codeacademy is a good place to pick up the basics.

Dropbox is great for hosting any small HTML projects, just dump the files in your public folder

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Web Based Skirmish Team Builder
Just a heads up, I couldn't get permission to use reproductions of the cards from Lucasfilm for my Windows-based army builder (and I did ask about including only the text). Hopefully they'll never care enough to do anything about the type of recreations you're making.

You can see the response I got in the comments here.

Incidentally, if you do start allowing saving and loading of armies, perhaps we should collaborate on a format so the same file can be used for both tools.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fong
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Re: Web Based Skirmish Team Builder
There are two cards names Temporary Alliance.

the first is a empire card that allows two mercenaries and the second is a mercenary card that allows two rebels.

the card that comes up in the display is the imperial one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Re: Web Based Skirmish Team Builder
EBWonder wrote:
There are two cards names Temporary Alliance.

the first is a empire card that allows two mercenaries and the second is a mercenary card that allows two rebels.

the card that comes up in the display is the imperial one.


Cheers Brian, should be fixed on the new version just about to add a post about it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Re: Web Based Skirmish Team Builder
Clipper wrote:
Just a heads up, I couldn't get permission to use reproductions of the cards from Lucasfilm for my Windows-based army builder (and I did ask about including only the text). Hopefully they'll never care enough to do anything about the type of recreations you're making.

You can see the response I got in the comments here.

Incidentally, if you do start allowing saving and loading of armies, perhaps we should collaborate on a format so the same file can be used for both tools.


I don't think I'm going to bother with an import feature for the web tool, but I would be more than happy to add a feature to allow users to export their army to your tool. If you pass me an example of a file that can be imported into your system I will add an export option.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Re: Web Based Skirmish Team Builder
I was able to add a new virtual host to one of my existing servers so I have now permanently parked it at http://ia-armies.com/

Updated the tool with command cards including the new ones from the Ally & Villans packs. I've also added a save feature that creates a permalink that can be used to share the army with people online or bookmark it for later use.

An Example of a permalink page
http://ia-armies.com/army/EqLWl0Mv

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Brook
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
balance of the force doesn't work. It doesn't give you an extra 3 pts if you want to save.

I would add a way so you know how many command cards you have left to add because I get annoyed having to count every time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
jonnyb815 wrote:
balance of the force doesn't work. It doesn't give you an extra 3 pts if you want to save.

I would add a way so you know how many command cards you have left to add because I get annoyed having to count every time.


Thanks Jon, Balance of the Force should be working now, I overlooked that one.

Added in a counter for command cards, which makes it a bit easier to know how many are currently in your hand.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm loving the simple and clean aesthetics of your builder. Very pleasing to the eye.

I have some suggestions though. These might require way more work than I realize but it's up to you, I'm just suggesting.

1. You might want to prevent or notify the user if they are about to misuse the Temporary Alliance. Mainly: one cannot include out of faction "Skirmish Upgrade" cards with the TA. So no Rebel units for the Empire by chaining TAs, no Devious Scheme for the Empire, and no Balance of the Force for the Mercenaries.

This was clarified in page 1 of the FAQ and I can guarantee many people will miss it.

2. Perhaps "Skirmish Upgrades" should be another color altogether and not elite-red.

3. What if the deck building started with choosing a faction. If you choose the Empire it would only show the Empire cards and THEN if the player adds the Temporary Alliance it would show all the Mercenary unit cards as well but not any Mercenary Skirmish Upgrade cards. And the Command deck builder wouldn't show any Rebel/Mercenary cards either but more on that below.

4. I'd like the Command cards to filter out, or grey-out and sort to the bottom, all the useless cards that don't make sense in the deck I've made. So if I made a Rebel Trooper only deck (don't ask), I don't want to wade through Imperial/Mercenary cards, named figure cards, or in fact any keyword cards that are not either blank, Trooper, or Any Figure. Otherwise it's only going the get worse the more expansions we get.

Or if you don't want to make it a smart filter, then maybe some checkbox system for factions and keywords. Named unit-only cards probably need to be clumped up into a single keyword, else there'll be too many checkboxes...

5. Maybe make the card browsing easier with the keyboard arrows. Currently they scroll the bar, but I'd like them to select the next/previous card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Brook
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I would like a way to see just 3 pt cards, 2, 1, 0.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Brook
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Hipsu wrote:
I'm loving the simple and clean aesthetics of your builder. Very pleasing to the eye.

I have some suggestions though. These might require way more work than I realize but it's up to you, I'm just suggesting.

1. You might want to prevent or notify the user if they are about to misuse the Temporary Alliance. Mainly: one cannot include out of faction "Skirmish Upgrade" cards with the TA. So no Rebel units for the Empire by chaining TAs, no Devious Scheme for the Empire, and no Balance of the Force for the Mercenaries.

This was clarified in page 1 of the FAQ and I can guarantee many people will miss it.

2. Perhaps "Skirmish Upgrades" should be another color altogether and not elite-red.

3. What if the deck building started with choosing a faction. If you choose the Empire it would only show the Empire cards and THEN if the player adds the Temporary Alliance it would show all the Mercenary unit cards as well but not any Mercenary Skirmish Upgrade cards. And the Command deck builder wouldn't show any Rebel/Mercenary cards either but more on that below.

4. I'd like the Command cards to filter out, or grey-out and sort to the bottom, all the useless cards that don't make sense in the deck I've made. So if I made a Rebel Trooper only deck (don't ask), I don't want to wade through Imperial/Mercenary cards, named figure cards, or in fact any keyword cards that are not either blank, Trooper, or Any Figure. Otherwise it's only going the get worse the more expansions we get.

Or if you don't want to make it a smart filter, then maybe some checkbox system for factions and keywords. Named unit-only cards probably need to be clumped up into a single keyword, else there'll be too many checkboxes...

5. Maybe make the card browsing easier with the keyboard arrows. Currently they scroll the bar, but I'd like them to select the next/previous card.

I think your over thinking the Upgrade cards. I do agree having them limited per faction could be nice. Some type of command filter for deployment cards seems like a topic a lot of people want.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard B
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
www.nine2fivestudios.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to say thanks for the lovely tool and continued support and upgrades.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.