Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hipsu wrote:
I'm loving the simple and clean aesthetics of your builder. Very pleasing to the eye.

I have some suggestions though. These might require way more work than I realize but it's up to you, I'm just suggesting.

1. You might want to prevent or notify the user if they are about to misuse the Temporary Alliance. Mainly: one cannot include out of faction "Skirmish Upgrade" cards with the TA. So no Rebel units for the Empire by chaining TAs, no Devious Scheme for the Empire, and no Balance of the Force for the Mercenaries.

Incidentally, we couldn't chain both Temporary Alliance even before the FAQ. That would be including two unique cards with the same title in an army.

Quote:
2. Perhaps "Skirmish Upgrades" should be another color altogether and not elite-red.

I think the colour should match the card itself. It's possible that future Skirmish Upgrade cards may not be unique, so it might be possible to include multiple of the same card, and we will need to know if they are Regular or Elite. All current ones are Regular unique, so they should be Regular coloured in my opinion.

Quote:
3. What if the deck building started with choosing a faction. If you choose the Empire it would only show the Empire cards and THEN if the player adds the Temporary Alliance it would show all the Mercenary unit cards as well but not any Mercenary Skirmish Upgrade cards. And the Command deck builder wouldn't show any Rebel/Mercenary cards either but more on that below.

That's how SWIASAB (my Windows app) works. Having done that, I can say it's actually a bit harder than it looks to implement the feature, but it seems necessary if you want to only allow legal armies.

Quote:
4. I'd like the Command cards to filter out, or grey-out and sort to the bottom, all the useless cards that don't make sense in the deck I've made. So if I made a Rebel Trooper only deck (don't ask), I don't want to wade through Imperial/Mercenary cards, named figure cards, or in fact any keyword cards that are not either blank, Trooper, or Any Figure. Otherwise it's only going the get worse the more expansions we get.

This is something I do too in my app. Lightly greying out cards that aren't fully useful based on your army and blacking out cards that require units you don't have. I plan to get around to making the lists sortable by any column sometime soon too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
These are all great points, thanks for the feedback.

The colour of the Skirmish Upgrade cards was something I was mulling over while I was adding them in. I almost made them their own colour entirely, but your point about future expansions hits the nail on the head, who knows what kind of upgrade cards we will see in the future, so it's probably best to stick to the conventions of the game. I will change them to grey next update.

I will also add in a validation check for temporary alliance to stop them both being added.

Starting off choosing a faction wasn't something I considered when I started making it, so it would be pain to add in at this stage. I think in the future as more expansions get released I may have to look at re-writing the front to allow this.

Next big update will add in command card highlighting relevant to your deployment cards, I don't plan on making the tool too restrictive on what you can add to your command deck. I think for people who are unfamiliar with the cards it's really helpful if they can add more cards to their deck than possible (using it like a wish list), then later go through the deck and whittle it down to 15 cards within 15 points before saving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Johnson
United States
Beatrice
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the work you've done!

Just wanted to point out the Command card Hide in Plain Sight is a Spy card not a Vehicle card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeemusu wrote:
Next big update will add in command card highlighting relevant to your deployment cards, I don't plan on making the tool too restrictive on what you can add to your command deck. I think for people who are unfamiliar with the cards it's really helpful if they can add more cards to their deck than possible (using it like a wish list), then later go through the deck and whittle it down to 15 cards within 15 points before saving.

Here's how I do it in my app, in case that helps you add it to yours...

I store the following info about card needs with each Command Card (the field is "", the empty string, if there is no benefit or restriction for that card):

Affiliation
Named Cards
Traits (which may be in the text of the card rather than the box)
Attack Type (which only appears in the text of the card)

Then I run the following code on each Command Card:

valid = true
If Attack Type ≠ "" {
If there is no unit with that Attack Type in the army {
valid = false
}
}
If Affiliation ≠ "" {
If Named Card ≠ "" {
If Named Card with Affiliation is not in army {
valid = false
}
} Else If Traits is not empty {
If no unit in the Army with Affiliation has one of the listed Traits {
valid = false
}
} Else {
If no unit in the army has the appropriate Affiliation {
valid = false
}
}
} Else If Traits is not empty {
If no unit in the Army with Affiliation has one of the listed Traits {
valid = false
}
}

It's pretty obvious stuff really, but it might help. I use valid (and another availability variable that depends on if you own the card and whether you have already reached the limit for that card) to determine the background colour, but still allow any non-valid card to be included in the Command deck, as it is OK to construct such a deck, just odd (you might have first dibs on card conflicts and want to deny your opponent a good Vader card, perhaps?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeemusu wrote:

That's a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Haven't had time to get around to adding in card highlighting yet, but it's coming!

Added a few things in over the last few days including:

* Arbitrary keyboard controls. Use up and down arrows to scroll, and enter to add a card when a list is focused.

* Export your squad to clipper's excellent Star Wars Imperial ASsault Skirmish Army Builder Tool.

* A simple army list page. Can be used to browse through any armies created with the tool, and filter them by deployment cards. I will flesh this out a bit when I get a chance.

* Reinforcement costs and Weapon icons have been added to deployment cards.

* The colour of some cards has been fixed (unique rebel heroes, skirmish upgrade cards)

* Tidied up a lot of mistakes pointed out by hipsu, thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeemusu wrote:

Thanks for the plug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, it is a great tool... It would be helpful if the source (core, ally pack x, villian pack y) of the card added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bumayeo3o wrote:
Thanks, it is a great tool... It would be helpful if the source (core, ally pack x, villian pack y) of the card added.

Agreed. And expanding on that idea:

Some way to help me make an army that is compatible with my personal collection. So that I don't unwittingly include two regular Royal Guards when I only own one because I only own one Core.

Three suggestions on accomplishing that from the simplest to the most complicated:

1. Some kind of "products needed:" list somewhere that starts growing as I add more and more units in my list. For example when I add a regular Rebel Trooper to my army it would say "1x Core" (tokens, remember). But if I add an elite Rebel Trooper instead it would say "1x Rebel Troopers". If I made an army that contains 2 regulars and 1 elite then:
1x Core
2x Rebel Troopers

Although I don't know how it should behave when adding units that comes in two different products. 3 regular Stormtroopers can be achieved with either 2x Core or 1x Core + 1x upcoming Stormtroopers villain pack...

2. User inputs his collection somewhere and it's stored into a cookie. Fab's Unofficial X-Wing Squadron Generator works like that. Of course cookies are cookies and they get lost and stuff but at least I wouldn't have to input my collection every time. And of course I wouldn't have to do it at all if I simply didn't care about the collection feature.

Anyways. Let's say I input 2 Cores and nothing else. Now ideally I'd like to see little "available" numbers in the list next the card names. So a regular Royal Guard for example would have "2" next to it. If I added one to my army the number would change from "2" to "1" and finally to "0" if I added both. But it wouldn't stop me from adding more as long as it's clear to me that I'm building an army I don't have components for.

I admit I nicked the idea from my favorite X-wing builder where it works like that:

->
->

3. The above but with an actual Login system instead of relying on cookies.

(4. Some better system I didn't think of. I'm not actually a coder...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I received a squad per link, is it possible to cutomize it and safe as new squad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Mason
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, THANK YOU!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeemusu wrote:
* A simple army list page. Can be used to browse through any armies created with the tool, and filter them by deployment cards. I will flesh this out a bit when I get a chance.

One great addition to this would be if users could thumb-up builds they like. This way, people who are struggling with coming up with an effective team could browse community favorites and get inspiration. It can also be a great filler for the main page, showing featured teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Elizarov
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
James, thank you very much for the skirmish team builder. The clean UI is great. Thumbs up! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Capa
Canada
flag msg tools
I really like Miikka Sohlman's suggestion. It would make it a lot easier too if I could send a link to friends that would then automatically load up what cards I have available. That way they can come prepared with some army compositions for skirmish play. That won't prevent us both picking more copies than I have for a card, but one feature at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Hergl
Germany
Riemerling near Munich
flag msg tools
I give demos for the Star Wars LCG in Munich
badge
I give demos for the Star Wars LCG in Munich
mbmbmbmbmb
If the lists were printable/exportable that would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Bou Farhat
Germany
Grafenau Döffingen
BW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tool! Is it possible to print the Cards and using them as proxies for non tournament games ? that would be awesome...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
christizzz wrote:
Thanks for the tool! Is it possible to print the Cards and using them as proxies for non tournament games ? that would be awesome...

That would be great. I just take screenshots, paste to Word, resize them to about 60% and print out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As far as printing the individual cards, adding a function to do so would probably anger the FFG gods, so I will leave it out for now. There is a function to print a text version of your squad (just the names of the cards and total deployment points).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great stuff. Any chance of adding the set each command card comes in, though? Would make it easier to know what we have/missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I love your army builder. I think it's so great. Is it possible to get cards -- especially as they get spoiled for upcoming expansions -- but also for the Wave 2 stuff?

If you need someone to do transcription, I'd be happy to help.

When you do update, let me know (Geekmail, post here, etc.); I edit imperialpropaganda.com and I'd love to get the word out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivans Ivanovs
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That is an amazing tool! Thank you a LOT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gram
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love what you have done and use it all the time.
Are you going to add the new expansions or are you done working on this?
I know a few people that use this and at Gen-Con 2015 I recommend it to people playing.
Thank you for all your hard work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hijo de Cain
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Command cards / Filter on: Core

· Dirty Trick
· Merciless

Those cards don't belong to core box. Both comes on IG-88 expansion.

BR,
David.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Adwolf
msg tools
IA Team Builder is great. Well done my friend. Could you update it with the new stuff? Thanks for making such a handy website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Millett
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Need any help with the data entry for the new stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.