Subject: question regarding a 2-players variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First I would like to say that I did not read the rules (however I did light read them) and I have a question that keeps bothering me, not just for this game, but for all games that are "officialy" to 3 players minimum (however I don't want an answer regarding all these games... an answer for only this game would be fine). To the question: why (in a 2-player game) can't each player simply play two players? that way it's like a 4-players game, but with just 2 players. Is it realy makes a difference? and I'm talking about game-play difference, not "fun" difference. Tnx in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You CAN play that way, but it's not as fun. With this game, and a lot of other games, much of the fun is in the negotiation. There's a lot of metagaming going on, with statements like "If you don't work with me, I'm going to attack you," or "Let's agree to make these two hexes a demilitarized zone." When you're only playing with two players, you lose all that room for negotiation, because your targets are obvious, and won't ever change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were to play 2-players with each player controlling two, I'd certainly want to tweak the rules a bit. For example, you couldn't trade between your own players, but only with the other two races. And in a game which already tends to suffer from turtling, this might make it worse. I'd definitely arrange it so your two players are on opposite sides of the board, to minimize "safe borders."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.