Subject: What is the best version of Ticket to Ride? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] ttr [+] dow [+] [View All]
Mark Augustyniak
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Ticket to Ride: Marklin Edition yesterday. It was my first time playing any of the Ticket to Ride games and I did enjoy it.

I think many of my less hardcore gaming friends would enjoy the game and am wondering which version to buy.

With that, I ask which version my fellow geeks recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Marklin the most. But I did play them for the first time in order of release with months between initial plays. Marklin is newest, and I'm sure that has some affect on me.

If you were to buy only one, especially with the though of playing it with casual gamers, I'd suggest the original. Every version is a lot of fun and the familiarity of the map and elegence of design makes it be best for casual gamers in the U.S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find marklin to be the best. It has a little more depth than the others, but is hardly a heavy game and thus accessible to pretty much anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO its Europe, Marklin, any other game, then the original.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malloc wrote:

Me too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It all boils down to who you are playing with, and how often you are going to play.

If it's the occassional gamer that only plays once/month, maybe to original will do. Hopefully they are familiar with the maps, etc. Plus you can get a nice USA1910 expansion - available now to go with it.

TtR:Europe adds some depth with the train stations. Blocking is less of an issue, but you should play it often in order to figure out where all the cities are.

TtR Maerklin. I liked it, but had some feelings of "blah". Gets rid of the train stations, but adds passengers.

Overall, I am at the point where I play all three....and it all depends on who I am with. TtR Europe and the original see the most action, and Maerklin....maybe only once or twice per year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pulles
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malloc wrote:

Me too.

TtR:Europe has been played more at our Club than the other two combined... it just feels "right."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer the original, then Marklin. I don't care much for Europe. But, then again, I live in the US and prefer the US maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Noaceyet wrote:
TtR:Europe adds some depth with the train stations. Blocking is less of an issue, but you should play it often in order to figure out where all the cities are.

My (European) group had the opposite problem of being unable to locate American cities. I usually introduce new players to TtR:Europe first, as the map is likely to be more familiar. I'd love to give Marklin a few more tries, but one regular member of my group hates the passenger mechanic and refuses to play that edition!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasen Robillard
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hands down Marklin for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like the Switzerland map in the PC game myself. But, since this is BOARDGAMEgeek, I'd say Europe (haven't played Marklin yet.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your question is alot like asking which flavor of ice cream is the best. I prefer Europe because it's slightly more complex and cutthroat while still being a simple game. The first version is more friendly has less tension, and Marklin seems like it's trying to make Ticket to Ride more of a gamers' game for some reason (though I've never played Marklin). If I'm going to play a gamers' game I'm not going to reach for something with Ticket to Ride in the title.

Noaceyet wrote:
TtR:Europe adds some depth with the train stations. Blocking is less of an issue,

Blocking is actually more of an issue in Europe. Without train stations very few routes would ever be completed. TtR: America has so many available routes that I actually find it harder to block other players as compared to the Europe board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Original is the best, followed by Marklin, with Europe last. The Original is best because it's the simplest and Ticket to Ride is a relatively simple game. It's not meant to have added layers of complexity, and I think it's best when it doesn't add extra rules. That being said Marklin is interesting and changes the game most, but adds too much to keep the game as a good gateway game for non-gamers. Europe is my least favorite because it adds extra rules, but they don't add anything to the game in my opinion. The tunnels, ferries, and stations just add complexity without adding depth. I'd stick with the Original if I were you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Märklin is my favourite. It feels like it's the most strategic of the games (though I haven't actually played the original) and the cards are gorgeous.

I like the addition of 4+ locomotives and the further options you're faced with. Focus on completing missions or taking good routes with cities that have high scores. It's also great fun to see the greed played out when players are faced the dilemma of waiting for longer routes or taking high scores early in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Sparks
United States
Christiansburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our group the preference seems to go in inverse order of release: Marklin, Europe, US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on how often you plan to play it and with whom. The original is the simplest to teach therefore great for nongamers but, if you play it often (i.e. enough to know what most of the tickets are), you'll find that the games become repetitive as there is one style of play that is optimal and tends to win.

I find that there is more variety from game to game of TTR:Europe, in large part because of the way that the long and short tickets are kept separate and everyone is limited to one long ticket. While there are three extra rules (tunnels, ferries and stations), none of them are particularly difficult, and the stations add a level of forgiveness to the game for beginners while allowing more experienced players to be more ambitious about how many routes they'll attempt to claim.

I've only played Marklin once so my opinion may change on further plays but I'd suggest that, for playing with nongamers, it would be my third choice. (With gamers, it would be my second choice after Europe. That may change with further plays.) Unless you have a good grasp of German geography, the first couple of games will consist of a lot of squinting at the board trying to find the cities listed on your tickets. (As a point of reference, I play German maps regularly on the Railroad Tycoon PC game and I still spent a lot of time hunting for cities.) I realise that some Americans have this problem with Europe but at least most of the names will be familiar - Paris, London, Rome, Moscow, etc. Far fewer of the names on the Marklin map will be. If you want to play with kids, I'd actually recommend Europe or Marklin just for learning the approximate geography of a region they probably won't see in school too much.

Outside of that, I do like that Marklin splits the tickets into a long pile and a short pile, letting players choose what kind of tickets to aim for when they draw. The passengers aren't particularly difficult to play (though I'd probably leave out them and the passenger cards in a first game with nongamers) and the 4+ locomotives are a neat addition. I suspect this version has comparable replayability to TTR:Europe but the added complexity (without added forgiveness) would keep it at the bottom of my list to introduce to nongamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say get the original and the 1910 expansion and go from there. The original has U.S. geography so it's easier for casual gamers, plus the expansion adds some depth of strategy with new cards to spice it up for the gamers.

You can always branch out from there, although I'd go for Marklin second simply for the gorgeous card art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always play the original rules on the Marklin board, so that could get more playability from one board. If you are paying with people who don't know much about European Geography, then you might want to get the original.

Personally, I'm not that fond of the Europe map myself. The rules for ferries and tunnels are add some randomness, and the rules for the stations take away from that "Oh my god my routes got taken!" feeling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. USA
1. Europa
3. Märklin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Stever
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marklin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to play Europe, but I certainly want to give it a go. The original is the easiest one to grasp for sure. I am looking forward to trying 1910 and seeing what that adds to the original.

I like Marklin okay. The map to Marklin is so bland in comparison to the other games in the series, but the cards are great looking. I played Marklin after having played Canal Mania which I like a lot more. I guess I was underwhelmed by Marklin in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Marlin is my favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Augustyniak
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - thanks for all the responses!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Toups
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Marklin...that's the only one I've played though. I figure you can play the basic version with it anyway.

The real reason we picked it up was because we figured if we were going to get any version of the game, might as well get the most advanced one...especially at just $5 more. Seemed kinda silly to buy both.
-Zach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.