Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to like this game, but haven't had any fun with 2 or 4 players. Gameboygeek suggests 3 players on the Dice Tower video and I'd be interested in other people's opinions.

I wanted to post a "review" in the "reviews" section, but my version (copied below) was deemed irrelevant as a review. Maybe it's more of a discussion topic? (It seems "reviews" here are much like product reviews and game overviews. I think video reviewers do a great job at showing how the game plays and looks, so I didn't include any of that in my writing and I'm not so interested to do so.)

Quote:

I really like the art in this game and I like the idea behind the game. Short, quick, bluffing, sounds good. I like other small games like Coup and BraveRats.

I feel like I'm missing something, so please feel free to leave comments about what that might be.

I played a game with 4 players and no one could figure out anything close to a strategy. I tried making obvious plays, the opposite of what I thought was an obvious play, a clever play, a completely random play, and by the end I tried just telling people what I was going to play. None of this seemed to matter. It all just seems random. Random can be fun, this type of seemingly complete randomness was not fun.

The 4 player game was random and I cannot imagine playing with more. Just as the game starts to show strategy, the round is over. The 2 player game felt the same way.

Feeling lost, and confused by the terribly ambiguous rules, I checked the rules online. I was playing correctly, but some people offered a "more strategic" way to play by keeping your hand and leaving discards in the discard pile between rounds. This didn't seem to add anything, in fact, it was probably worse for 2 players.

Diamonsters, I wanted to like you. I just don't understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is an okay review although i think bgg likes it when you explain the rules. I am suspecting you are not missing anything

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its just too light to really get played much in our group. And DO NOT play with 6 (like we did) - it just becomes tediously random.

I think it would be a good game for younger kids, maybe for complete non-gamers as a very light intro game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this with my six year old and he enjoyed it. I think it should have been marketed as more of a kids game. I do see potential in this game as a drinking game after the kids have gone to bed tho! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My nine-year old twins love this game. I think it is firmly a kids' game, and should be judged and treated as such. As following that, it's a pretty good game for kids and their parents to enjoy together, and a game the kids can win without the parents having to pull punches. No harm in that whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanady
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, it's like a lame version of the card game War. I mean my 11 year old really likes this game, but I honestly cannot figure out why. It ends up stalling halfway through every time as we keep ending up with the same hands. Bought this on clearance for like $7 and I honestly would rather have bought so many other games instead, if not for the fact that again, my 11 year old really likes this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xiong ie
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I personally find it more fun with 3 or 5, the problem with 2 or 4 is, it seems like people tend to clash a lot, and there's a lot of: take card back, play another card, oh tied, rinse and repeat. With 3 and 5 it seems to happen much much lesser. Do give it a try with that number instead. But of course if you are looking for anything heavier than Love Letters, you won't find it here, the fun value is about the same there (Love Letters require a solid 4 to be really fun)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Koenig
Taiwan
Dan Shui
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is light, no doubt about that. I brought it with me to Asia though, and people LOVE it here. You really have to "bring the fun" though. I will always pretend to get mad at people for playing the same card as me, or cheer when I am the only person left after everyone else tied.

Really the game is like advanced "rock, paper, scissors." Great for children, and non-native English players with a bit of strategy and a lot of luck/guessing. I like it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddy Haskill
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
I had this game on my shelf for a year or so before finally opening it up this weekend. I played with my wife, and we enjoyed it. It was fun learning it together and observing each other's strategies in order to subvert them. She trounced me the first couple of games, and I started to win consistently in the last two.

There are a lot of comparisons to Rock, Scissors, Paper, but in that game, players can play ANYTHING. In Diamonsters, since everyone starts with the same hand, the player who won has to place that card in her monster collection and draw back up. With five different monsters, she's unlikely to draw that same card, so that can influence the other player's strategy (especially if she won with a 1).

I can't predict the longevity of this one, but it was fun on a Sunday evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.