Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Michaels
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a warm up game with some friends so that they could learn the rules. It went pretty well.

Starting positions were basically at the four corners of the board. While people got control of the villages in respective Fiefs, they didn't want to spend the money for the titles so soon. Plus many villages had one troop in them, and the tense non-aggression pact didn't seem like it was going to hold.

White, in Sigy, had the land of the two fiefs near him and plays some cards to get a big cash infusion. But next turn got hit with a plague and Famines...and his fortunes turned. Up North, Pink and Green bought their titles...and soon, while not official, alliances seem to form. Pink and Green wouldn't attack each other. Yellow and White in the south agreed they needed to get on the board, so they decided to work together too. No marriages were possible though.

It's all tied at one, and Pink builds a 2nd stronghold, and could have bought his second title, but buys troops instead. There was no pope, and the vote for King purposely tied as to not give it to anyone.

A massive battle to place in the East, but Green's D'Arc proved the day. It was looking bad for yellow. They swung their forces, along with White, to attack a soft spot in Pink. They were a space away from the home Fort, with one troop defending.

Next turn, a quick deal is made between Yellow/White. White votes for Yellow for his second Bishop. Still no Pope, but Yellow throws his votes to White for King. We have a KING! In the purchase phase, the King buys a stronghold on the 2-space fief next to Sigy (thanks to Tallaging an unclaimed fief) - and grants himself the fief title for free with his kingly powers. Uh oh, he's at three and not in an official alliance! We thought he was a non-factor...and now, in a position to win!

Now...the King is actually in the front lines...and can't really retreat. All players converge on his spot, hoping they can take him out in battle! A few other desperate moves toward White Forts to take a fief title (though, they'd need a secret passage card to have any luck!)

Yellow, the former "ally"..er, just friends --- was last in the turn order. Before he moves, he says "Welp, might as well try this first." Assassin card! We play (and I think this is right) - you need to play Secret Passage before the roll, not after. Anyways...the King didn't have it. The Roll? A 1!!! The king is dead! His fief title transfers, but White is back down to 2.

It was getting late...and felt this was a good place to stop. I think all the players got the rules, and were excited to play again...for real! Very much a "Uh Oh, he got a VP??? He must be taken down!!" type of game. Never trust your "friends"!!! I can see why you might delay getting at title, so that you're not a target.

We think there will be more diplomacy next game, since we can all value things properly now. And I quickly went over some expansion components...no one was too scared about it. I suggested go slow and add Tactics...and the group liked two extra types of units available to build. We'll use that for sure.

-A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Shafer
United States
Hedgies Hang
flag msg tools
designer
"It is a pity we so often succeed in our endeavors to deceive each other." -Empress Irene
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. Our first added expansion was Tactics also. It was easy to integrate and made for a lot of fun in battles. Next up will be politics and tactics together.

I think the crusades one will be last. It seems to add a lot of action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.