Popular Tags: [View All]
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I look at this game and read reviews, I think... really?

I own and love Crokinole. Is there anything here that Crokinole doesn't already satisfy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a very nice crokinole table that I LOVE. I also love Tumblin-Dice.

Strawberries and blueberries are both berries. That doesn't mean they don't taste different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are both great games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
The ability to derive scores by multiplication instead of addition?

I have and love my Crokinole boards.
I had and traded away my Tumblin-Dice board.

The part I just didn't like in TD was the "randomness" of the dice as it tumbled over the ledges for some random face up number of pips. This gaveme a loss of control that I didn't enjoy in this game.

I am sure the fans of the game will claim that with skill and practice there is more control then appears at first blush. Perhaps, with practice, one gets better by setting certain faces up and the like, but the differences between this game and Crokinole weren't sufficient in my mind to find out.

Happy with only Crokinole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:

The part I just didn't like in TD was the "randomness" of the dice

I have a weekend get-together with college buddies. I brought my crokinole board last year and nobody liked it because they couldn't beat me. With Tumblin-Dice, there's enough randomness to make it fun for everybody, regardless of skill. When playing crokinole, it's all about how good you are and people don't like to get trounced game after game after game. That's the reason I like Tumblin-Dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both.....entirely different games.

Tumblin-Dice is for some good laughter and kick back play. However, with my two brother-in-laws it's pretty cutthroat and some pretty amazing knock offs do occur. They can slide it with some pretty amazing accuracy. However, tons of times they/we goof and are consitent with our slides but same can be said with Crokinole. At least our skill level in Crokinole our consitency just isn't there. You see 20 shots like twice in a row and then see total miss shots right after..stuff like that.

Crokinole is much more skill required and more competitive. Sure there's some bursts or groans or what have you but not nearly as often as tumblin dice. It's a more quieter game by nature. I love both equally as they succeed equally well in what they're attempting to accomplish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay66 wrote:
I brought my crokinole board last year and nobody liked it because they couldn't beat me.

With new players I try to take it down a notch, maybe let the other team catch up a bit or even take the lead. Play a little cat & mouse to keep them interested. In the end though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes for Crokinole play a game and if it was a blowout definitely switch up the teams. It'll be SO MUCH better that way. Once my wife and I got blown out 3 games in a row and each win was a huge blowout too...yeah it was fun but nothing like having your ass handed to you 3 games in a row. Probably like the feeling of being locked up in prison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbass wrote:
yes for Crokinole play a game and if it was a blowout definitely switch up the teams. It'll be SO MUCH better that way. Once my wife and I got blown out 3 games in a row and each win was a huge blowout too...yeah it was fun but nothing like having your ass handed to you 3 games in a row. Probably like the feeling of being locked up in prison.

Yeah. There were 4 of us so I played 3 games so all 3 of my friends could be on my team once. The funny thing is, I don't play it that much and I hadn't played it much then. I just have a knack for it (same with darts) and I got tired of them going on and on about how they could be good too if they played 4 hours a day "Like Bailey does."

Needless to say I'm bringing Tumblin-Dice this year and leaving Crokinole at home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay66 wrote:
RPardoe wrote:

The part I just didn't like in TD was the "randomness" of the dice

I have a weekend get-together with college buddies. I brought my crokinole board last year and nobody liked it because they couldn't beat me. With Tumblin-Dice, there's enough randomness to make it fun for everybody, regardless of skill. When playing crokinole, it's all about how good you are and people don't like to get trounced game after game after game. That's the reason I like Tumblin-Dice.

Exactly. It's been a hit with just about everyone that had played it. Really, anyone can win. It's random the way the dice fall, but damn, it is fun. It's great when you land that six down on the 4X pad. It's still great when someone else lands a great shot. Lots of ooohs and aaaahs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the best part is launching a die and knocking your wife's dice off the x4 space on your last turn. And then she places another one there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.