Subject: Best add-on Heros rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Duiker
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
I am new to the game so I am pledging the hero and modules, but looking at the heros available...are there any that are a must have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Walsh
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
I think the skald is the most interesting and unique. If you need more beef in your party then the spriggan would be the way to go. Apparently whatever the alchemist is that they'll potentially show off during the JM KS will be most similar to the trickster if you aren't too interested in that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WarlikeHerkimer wrote:
I am new to the game so I am pledging the hero and modules, but looking at the heros available...are there any that are a must have?

No, not really. None of them are universally loved, although neither are they universally hated. The trickster and spriggan are KS exclusive, if you care about such things. The skald can always be picked up at retail later.

The trickster is tough to get up and running with the right cards. He might be better after the 2.0 patch, but he's always going to be a very acquired taste.

The spriggan makes its own gear, so is kind of an odd duck in that the loot drops in Myth don't really make a difference to it. It's supposedly very strong early game, but without all the sweet loot drops, it doesn't get very much stronger (until JM obviously).

The skald is all about party buffs and debuffs, so you might consider how many players you're likely to play with. She'll be a lot more useful in larger groups than in a small group of 2 or 3 heroes.

Don't forget that you're already getting the monk for free, (which will have a similar loot-independence as the spriggan...although the similarities end there) and that we will eventually also get the alchemist for free (which will likely also be heavily dependent on specific cards and thus a more acquired taste to play, like the trickster).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
WarlikeHerkimer wrote:

If you add the Over the Top add-on, you will get some extra heros (Spriggan, Skald (female and male), and Trickster (male and female) for the base-level game (plus a whole lot of other cool stuff). Then you could get the Journeyman versions in separate add-ons.

Here is what comes in the Over the Top add-on:

5 Alt gender Novice Heroes
2 Trickster Novice Hero (alt gender, cards provided with 2nd ed stuff)
1 Orcneas boss + 12 cards
1 Urulok boss + 11 cards
1 Keesi & Og mini-boss + 1 cards
1 Etrus the Last mini-boss + 1 cards
6 Lairs
6 Traps
10 Tailless minions + 1 card (completes Rise of the Huranii module)
2 Rath captain + 1 card (completes Rise of the Huranii module)
1 Rat King boss + 14 cards
10 Iathi minions + 3 cards (completes Four Pillar of Creation module)
2 Ios captain + 1 card (completes Four Pillar of Creation module)
Realm Tile expansion (10 unique tiles)
Quest expansion #1
10 Sycline minions + 1 card
2 Sycleech captains + 1 card
1 Syclopt boss + 12 cards

* 1 treasure bag
* 1 Ia boss + 12 cards
* 10 Sycline minions
* 2 Sycleech captains
* Quest expansion #2
* Item expansion #1
* 6 Lairs
* Tile Supplement #1
* Slaughterfield Supplement Pack (5 unique tiles, 40 cards)
* 3 Agents + 6 cards
* 2 Skald Novice Hero (alt gender, cards provided with 2nd ed stuff)
* 1 Spriggan Novice Hero

* (This was add-on content in Kickstarter 1 that NOT included with Captain's Pledge or stretch goals)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're playing 3 characters or more the Skald is a good character. Not sure I'd want him with just 2.

The trickster was very useful especially if he has his green equipment. The updated cards make getting some of his traps easier to get into play. He also has some useful crowd control and movement traps. I really enjoyed him.

The Spriggan was just okay. Once you conjure all his items he's a good tank, but nowhere near the damage of a warrior. But he can take a lot of damage because the items take damage instead of him. If you can keep his threat up, he can draw attention, but I could never do that. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't pay extra for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
kerskine wrote:
If you're playing 3 characters or more the Skald is a good character. Not sure I'd want him with just 2.

The trickster was very useful especially if he has his green equipment. The updated cards make getting some of his traps easier to get into play. He also has some useful crowd control and movement traps. I really enjoyed him.

The Spriggan was just okay. Once you conjure all his items he's a good tank, but nowhere near the damage of a warrior. But he can take a lot of damage because the items take damage instead of him. If you can keep his threat up, he can draw attention, but I could never do that. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't pay extra for him.

The base Skald is a "her"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Duiker
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanks for your input that helped a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.