Brett Szudy
msg tools
I've seen scads of people say they would like more variable difficulty options, specifically being able to play with no timer but harder levels.

My suggestion:
Play on easy (no timer)
Make things harder yourself

when the app tells you to make the aliens deck out of thin men and sectoids, use cyberdiscs and mutons.
when the app tells you the starting panic levels, move each continent up 1, unless it puts one in the red.

I know it may feel too much like you have to homebrew it yourself, but there's the app breakdown posted here that you'll be able to use to replicate the app's difficulty level changes. It's also true that won't 100% replicate it, as there's app changes to the budget, # of crises, # of UFOs, etc. But I personally feel the panic levels and aliens used make up about 70% of the difficulty thresholds for the various levels.

cheers
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1336604/alter-time-limits-in...

szuderac wrote:
...there's app changes to the budget, # of crises


No to both. Only differences are timing, UFOs and alien types.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never understood why people wanted a game without the timer on the higher difficulty.

If you just do not like the timer, you can freely ignore it completely and play on whatever difficulty you want. The next step during the timed phase is shown only if you press "done". No matter how many hours you went overtime.

So playing impossible without a timer is already implemented in the game. Just ignore it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
Vardaine wrote:
The next step during the timed phase is shown only if you press "done". No matter how many hours you went overtime.

Only true for alien events, and every time you do this time for all remaining events is halved.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Szudy
msg tools
BruceLGL wrote:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1336604/alter-time-limits-in...

szuderac wrote:
...there's app changes to the budget, # of crises


No to both. Only differences are timing, UFOs and alien types.


? Pretty sure i read that the budget can be +/- 1 within the calculated value, meaning the app is changing at its discretion. But if not, even better; more of the controllable elements are within the player's discretion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
szuderac wrote:
? Pretty sure i read that the budget can be +/- 1 within the calculated value, meaning the app is changing at its discretion. But if not, even better; more of the controllable elements are within the player's discretion.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1336141/app-internal-rules-...

Standard: 12-14, less 1 for each continent not in yellow, limited to 3
Occupation: As above, then subtract a further 1-3 (random)

Yes it changes, but it is not related to the difficulty.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bangerter
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you hit the "menu" button, the game will be paused without eating into your time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.