Vincent Darlage
United States
Columbus
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mei Ji Lao, Scourge of the China Seas, is the only Expedition Leader I haven't done a Solo session for (nor have I played her yet in any kind of game), so I decided to play another Solo game and see how she works out. She does have my favorite ship, though. She's strong on Skullduggery, but so many of the Encounters need Heroism, so I may want to focus on that for her Crew.

Once again, I set up the game per the rules. I used three Rest tokens, and set up the Drowned City of Atlantis as the Destination. My randomly chosen Consequence was Leadership Faltered.

Turns 1 & 2: Outfitting the Hei Long
Mei began with two Rest turns. Playing a String of Coins, Bribery, and three Marks of Credit, and Acquired a Paragon Captain, a Virtuous Lady, and a Clergy. She also acquired a Strange Tincture. Refreshed the Crew and drew five more Resources. On the second Rest turn, she Acquired a Navigator, an Automaton, and a Seer. She also acquired another Strange Tincture. I used a Strange Tincture in my hand to refresh my Navigator and then exhaust him to see one of the upcoming Locations - looks like we are heading Nowhere. All in all, a great two turns. Two Strange Tinctures, and two Crew with refresh abilities. Unfortunately, none of the Crew have Skullduggery higher than 3, so I won't get the hand size bonus offered by Mei Ji Lao.

Turn 3: Nowhere Man
The Hei Long moved into Nowhere, reducing our Resource hand. Ravenous Creatures were around us, and the Peril track moved up to 2. As we navigated around Nowhere, the ship caught Fire! All available Resources were discarded to keep the fire from spreading. Most of the Crew battled the blaze, leaving only the Clergy and Seer unexhausted. Once the fire was out, the Virtuous Lady refreshed the Captain. A key was located. Four more Resources were made available.

Turn 4: Two Encounters, Refreshed Crew
Mei Ji Lao administered two Strange Tinctures, which meant the entire Crew was refreshed (the Automaton self-refreshed). The Crew faced Dreams of Discovery. A Supernatural Encounter, we'd have to Face twice this turn to take the Key. The Clergy reduced the Difficulty. With four Heroism tokens, the Captain defeated the Dreams. The Virtuous Lady refreshed the Captain. The second defender of the Key was the Doom Clock. Again, the Clergy reduced the Difficulty. Mei Ji Lao had enough Skullduggery tokens to defeat the Doom Clock, and the Crew took the Key.

Turn 5: A Ravenous Shoggoth
Upon entering the Mouth of Hell, we got a glimpse at what was coming - a Shoggoth. We opted to Face it, but that decision had Unforeseen Consequences. The Peril track moved up to 5, and the new, second Consequence was Minds Were Broken (appropriate since we were facing a Shoggoth). Three random Resources from hand were sacrificed (two Marks of Credit and Notoriety). Mei Ji Lao played Reputation, and Clawed Our Way Back, pushing the Peril track to 4. That was the last Money Token she had, but she had two Skullduggery and one Heroism left. This could make clawing our way back difficult later. The Clergy weakened the Shoggoth, allowing the Clergy and Seer to defeat it - but the Ravenous Creatures Peril meant the Shoggoth ate the Seer before dying. There was no Key at the Mouth of Hell, so there was no reason to stay here. The Virtuous Lady refreshed the Clergy, and new Resources were drawn.

Turn 6: The Ghost of the Seer
The Hei Long moved into the Temple of the Sightless Gods, and was faced with Cramped Quarters (The Peril track moved to 6). Fortunately, the Hei Long was short a Crew, so no one had to be thrown overboard. While in the Temple, the Crew faced the Phantoms of the Lost, and the ghost of the Seer haunted us. The Clergy sacrificed himself to destroy the ghosts. A Key was in the Temple, and we faced a Legendary Beast, pressing forward without ending the Turn. Mei Ji Lao played a String of Coins and a Reputation. The Captain, Virtuous Lady and Navigator exhausted themselves battling the Creature, and it was Defeated, gaining the Crew some Heroism. The Virtuous Lady refreshed the Captain, and Mei Ji Lao gave a Strange Tincture to the Navigator and Virtuous Lady. The Key was gained.

Turn 7: Exploring Atlantis
The Hei Long moved into the Drowned City of Atlantis. Mei Ji Lao was so excited, the Crew realized that sometimes The Steady Hand Falters, raising the Peril track to 8. They faced Ominous Waters, giving the Captain the Curse of Nightmares. The Ominous Waters were defeated, using some Marks of Credit, the Captain, the Automaton, and a Bribery Resource. The Virtuous Lady refreshed the Captain and Mei Ji Lao used a Strange Tincture on the Automaton. The faced the Door of the Living Sacrifice. Mei Ji Lao sacrificed the Automaton. The Captain and a couple of Skullduggery tokens defeated the door... and Victory!

Conclusion
Mei Ji Lao was a pretty good Expedition Leader, but it really was the lucky Crew I drew more than her. While I had plenty of Skullduggery tokens, keeping up on Heroism tokens was a struggle (I couldn't get rid of all of them because of the Virtuous Lady). Interestingly, I managed to win with only the two Rest turns I took at the beginning. A strong Crew is a must in a solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Mei Ji Lao's ship is my favorite, too. When I play solo, I use that ship no matter which adventurer I am playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.