Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
In my gaming group we have a "person", leaving out names and gender to protect the innocent, who I concider the noise maker. The reason I call him/her this is because he/she, awe screw this it is a guy (tired of typing he/she), is always making noises like for example when playing robo ralley he is always making the machine sound or the lazer sound. He also points his index fingers and puts them next to his head and snorts like a bull, or whatever the hell he calls himself doing. He breaks out in some 80's rap music from Run DMC, quotes lines from Saturday Night Live (the 80's-early 90's version). He is just a wierd guy, sometimes annoying and if you have to many players to play a certain game he is the first you want to go home.

Boy I hope he doesn't read this and get mad at me, because sometimes we need the extra player.

And to top it all off he wins quite often, this doesn't bother me so much as the above mentioned.

Please introduce us to your special gamer in your group that is walking the line of being psycho, I would like to hear your story.

Also, if you are the person that is the "weirdo" please explain why you think so.

This should get interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a "person", not in my immediate game group but he/she quite often comes to our game days. He/she is pretty obnoxious and loud, quite often smells terrible, curses a lot (even with children around), is always among the first to come and the last to leave, and .... gulp ... used to pick his nose in plain view!!!

I also have a guy in my immediate game group who is a Dallas Cowboy fan. That's just beyond freaky IMO. Weirdo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Did you throw in the Dallas Cowboy fan thing just because you saw my Micro Badge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcarvin wrote:
I also have a guy in my immediate game group who is a Dallas Cowboy fan.

I think I threw up in my mouth a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
Did you throw in the Dallas Cowboy fan thing just because you saw my Micro Badge?

LOL! I didn't even see that, that just makes it funnier!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Favre4MVP wrote:
jcarvin wrote:
I also have a guy in my immediate game group who is a Dallas Cowboy fan.

I think I threw up in my mouth a little.

See, that just wouldn't happen with those I game with. NO COWBOY FANS ALLOWED!!!

Period. It's bad enough I have to deal with Steeler fans, Rams fans and the one fan worse than a Cowboy fan. Well, actually Vikings fans are worse...but the rock bottom of the barrel are BEAR fans. Especially Bear fans when they are winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Gaming Groups and the quirky personalities you come acro
We have a strict no Yankee's fans policy. (Waived only if your from Japan)

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Onstad
United States
Donald
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently between groups right now, but I would say that I am most likely that guy. While I don't match what you have said, here are some of my symptoms:

Erratic Gameplay: I don't necessarily follow a strategy, or one that other people can see. I tend to frustrate people because while I can occasionally follow the "correct" path to victory, I sporadically won't, therefor when they most count on me not doing something incredibly stupid and suicidal in the game, I probably will. The reason for this is because I care more about having fun than winning, and sometimes taking the suicide option can be fun.

Sporadic Maniacal Laughter: Pretty much self explanatory. Again, not really related to the game per se. It's just plain giddiness. Being in such a good mood that it bubbles out of you. Okay yeah my laugh can be a little psychotic, and when it comes out of nowhere, it can be surprising. But it's honestly just being in a good mood.

Battle Cry/Sound effects: Yeah I do those. Cause sound effects enhance life. I mean, if you went to the movies, and didn't have the sound effects, they might get a little boring. So, in heroscape, you do a dalek "exterminate" when the robots are activated. And suchlike. Just to make it more real and exciting.

While nothing can justify quoting 80's rap songs...well allegedly misplaced quotes do sometimes escape before I can stop them. All I can say was that I was raised by a man who loved puns. And so my brain has been trained to make seemingly odd connections. So while others may not see how the quote is appropriate, it does make sense at least to me.

Don't think I have the smell problem, I am fairly certain that my wife would have mentioned it, or left me by now if I had.

Anyway, the best explanation to the "weirdness" (I really don't like that term by the way. not offended, just don't think it applies to me) is that my brain probably connects to reality at a different wavelength than others. And I am pretty much more governed by caprisousness than most people. Most of it is because I am having a good time, and letting my social gaurd down. I will say, however, that if asked to stop, I generally do my best to contain myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
xofour wrote:
I am currently between groups right now, but I would say that I am most likely that guy. While I don't match what you have said, here are some of my symptoms:

Erratic Gameplay: I don't necessarily follow a strategy, or one that other people can see. I tend to frustrate people because while I can occasionally follow the "correct" path to victory, I sporadically won't, therefor when they most count on me not doing something incredibly stupid and suicidal in the game, I probably will. The reason for this is because I care more about having fun than winning, and sometimes taking the suicide option can be fun.

Sporadic Maniacal Laughter: Pretty much self explanatory. Again, not really related to the game per se. It's just plain giddiness. Being in such a good mood that it bubbles out of you. Okay yeah my laugh can be a little psychotic, and when it comes out of nowhere, it can be surprising. But it's honestly just being in a good mood.

Battle Cry/Sound effects: Yeah I do those. Cause sound effects enhance life. I mean, if you went to the movies, and didn't have the sound effects, they might get a little boring. So, in heroscape, you do a dalek "exterminate" when the robots are activated. And suchlike. Just to make it more real and exciting.

While nothing can justify quoting 80's rap songs...well allegedly misplaced quotes do sometimes escape before I can stop them. All I can say was that I was raised by a man who loved puns. And so my brain has been trained to make seemingly odd connections. So while others may not see how the quote is appropriate, it does make sense at least to me.

Don't think I have the smell problem, I am fairly certain that my wife would have mentioned it, or left me by now if I had.

Anyway, the best explanation to the "weirdness" (I really don't like that term by the way. not offended, just don't think it applies to me) is that my brain probably connects to reality at a different wavelength than others. And I am pretty much more governed by caprisousness than most people. Most of it is because I am having a good time, and letting my social gaurd down. I will say, however, that if asked to stop, I generally do my best to contain myself.

Hey man thanks for being a good sport, and telling us your story. I started this post as light humor but there are some interesting people who play games, but all in all we are all GEEKS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Onstad
United States
Donald
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just hoping that my story will inspire the REALLY weird ones to come out. hehehehe <---random maniacal laughter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
In my gaming group we have a "person", leaving out names and gender to protect the innocent, who I concider the noise maker. The reason I call him/her this is because he/she, awe screw this it is a guy (tired of typing he/she), is always making noises like for example when playing robo ralley he is always making the machine sound or the lazer sound. He also points his index fingers and puts them next to his head and snorts like a bull, or whatever the hell he calls himself doing. He breaks out in some 80's rap music from Run DMC, quotes lines from Saturday Night Live (the 80's-early 90's version). He is just a wierd guy, sometimes annoying and if you have to many players to play a certain game he is the first you want to go home.

Possibly the funniest BGG post EVAR.

I tend to get a little goofy while gaming, but then, so do a lot of the other people I play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Bathtub Hoax wrote:
jjloc wrote:

Possibly the funniest BGG post EVAR.

I tend to get a little goofy while gaming, but then, so do a lot of the other people I play with.

Don't get me wrong I have no problem with being a little goofy, because in my group we all give each other crap and pick on one another - all in good fun. This dude, man he is a strange one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
is that his picture on your avatar? is his name Borat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Schmalz
Germany
Köln
Nordrhein Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the gamers club I visited weekly we had a guy who was really, really eager to play games. Most of the times it took a while before we could start a decent game because people sometimes arrived rather late. Actually late was 18.00. So sometimes we talked about the latest computer games, movies, books for about an hour or played some of the filler games. As soon as four to eight people were there we started playing real games. But it always took some time to decide what to play. Some people wanted to wait for the arrival of another player, some people wanted to play short games, some didn't want to play at all and were just there for socializing. So talking could go on for another half an hour.

But this guy was different. He had almost no interest in socializing. As soon as we were at least three he started to propose one game after the other. It went like this: "Do you want to play ___?" "No, we wait another five minutes for another player to arrive - then we are four". Thirty seconds later he would propose the next game, the following 20 seconds later and on and on and on. Watching him closely he looked like he was becoming really nervous. He talked much faster, sweat was on his forehead and he would grab game boxes seemingly at random and tried to persuade us to play this game. He even opened the boxes and started to set up the game. I told him: "I just mentioned 5 minutes ago that I definitely won't be playing this game tonight!" So he becomes a little angry an puts the game pieces back into the box. At this time he is really nervous and reminds me a little of a crack addict. At 18.10 - he had to wait for more than 30 minutes - he is really mad and starts to shout at us. I try to explain to him that we rather wait for a fourth player before we start a boring 3-player filler game. Not that we didn't have this situation before. Now he is really angry, shouts again, takes the game he brought along and rushes out.

5 minutes later 7 more people arrived and we started two games.

This guy is also the worst rules explainer I have ever met. It's always like: "You do this and than this and than this..." After 10 minutes of explaining I have to interrupt him and ask: "What is the actual goal of the game? How do I win?" He becomes nervous and angry. After this we decide to read the rules aloud - it takes about 5 minutes and we can start the game.

And if he gets a chance to win he becomes even more nervous. He will be really excited and wants to place the winning token as soon as possible on the board... and managed several times to sweep the tokens of all other players off the board.

He also doesn't manage his gaming material. This is really bad because his money sometimes gets mixed with money from the bank. He doesn't cheat (never did as far as I know) but confusion always reigns.

He is also the person with the largest game collection I know. The last time I asked him (about 4 years ago) he had about 1500 games.

The last time I saw him we were playing a game and I told him not to touch the board and move his pieces before it was his turn. Well, he didn't listen, the board was a mess, nobody knew who's turn it was,... I shouted at him, he got angry and left - I never saw him again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is the guy that says let's just start playing when you are trying to explain the rules, then later says, you never told me that rule

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Kelley
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jormi_Boced wrote:
My favorite is the guy that says let's just start playing when you are trying to explain the rules, then later says, you never told me that rule

I am one of those guys - the type who would rather start playing and learn from mistakes rather than listen to someone read the rules to me. Some people are HORRIBLE at explaining rules and my time is better spent playing. I wont get upset if i miss a rule, but as i make plays i explain which rules i am following and make sure that i have a good understanding of the mechanic. Case in point, i just learned Atlantic storm last night. That game has a LOT of stuff going on for a trick taking game (at its heart) but i learned all all i needed in 2 hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glenn
United States
Wheaton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if there are such things for boardgaming groups, but for roleplaying groups there are numerous theories out there about how ever gaming group has certain types. My favorite, and the one I've found most accurate, is that every group is like the A-Team:
-One person is the leader, like Hannibal
-One person is the grumpy tough dude, like BA
-One person is the wheeler dealer, like Face
-One person is the crazy dude, like Murdock

I am the crazy one in nearly every group I've played in. Don't know what that means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Lexi wrote:
In the gamers club I visited weekly we had a guy who was really, really eager to play games. Most of the times it took a while before we could start a decent game because people sometimes arrived rather late. Actually late was 18.00. So sometimes we talked about the latest computer games, movies, books for about an hour or played some of the filler games. As soon as four to eight people were there we started playing real games. But it always took some time to decide what to play. Some people wanted to wait for the arrival of another player, some people wanted to play short games, some didn't want to play at all and were just there for socializing. So talking could go on for another half an hour.

But this guy was different. He had almost no interest in socializing. As soon as we were at least three he started to propose one game after the other. It went like this: "Do you want to play ___?" "No, we wait another five minutes for another player to arrive - then we are four". Thirty seconds later he would propose the next game, the following 20 seconds later and on and on and on. Watching him closely he looked like he was becoming really nervous. He talked much faster, sweat was on his forehead and he would grab game boxes seemingly at random and tried to persuade us to play this game. He even opened the boxes and started to set up the game. I told him: "I just mentioned 5 minutes ago that I definitely won't be playing this game tonight!" So he becomes a little angry an puts the game pieces back into the box. At this time he is really nervous and reminds me a little of a crack addict. At 18.10 - he had to wait for more than 30 minutes - he is really mad and starts to shout at us. I try to explain to him that we rather wait for a fourth player before we start a boring 3-player filler game. Not that we didn't have this situation before. Now he is really angry, shouts again, takes the game he brought along and rushes out.

5 minutes later 7 more people arrived and we started two games.

This guy is also the worst rules explainer I have ever met. It's always like: "You do this and than this and than this..." After 10 minutes of explaining I have to interrupt him and ask: "What is the actual goal of the game? How do I win?" He becomes nervous and angry. After this we decide to read the rules aloud - it takes about 5 minutes and we can start the game.

And if he gets a chance to win he becomes even more nervous. He will be really excited and wants to place the winning token as soon as possible on the board... and managed several times to sweep the tokens of all other players off the board.

He also doesn't manage his gaming material. This is really bad because his money sometimes gets mixed with money from the bank. He doesn't cheat (never did as far as I know) but confusion always reigns.

He is also the person with the largest game collection I know. The last time I asked him (about 4 years ago) he had about 1500 games.

The last time I saw him we were playing a game and I told him not to touch the board and move his pieces before it was his turn. Well, he didn't listen, the board was a mess, nobody knew who's turn it was,... I shouted at him, he got angry and left - I never saw him again.

This guy really does sound like he is on crack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I am definitely cool with the let's just start playing attitude. I tend to learn best from just doing, but if you do that, you forfeit your right to say that you didn't tell me that rule

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ding Dong
United States
Ding Dong
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
We have this guy who makes noises too. He doesn't like talking in games, but will blurt out different sound effects when he is done with his turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Bee
United States
Marin County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has one person who I have dubbed "the chatterbox".

Whenever it's his turn, he basically does all his thinking aloud, narrating his entire thought process for everyone's benefit. Under normal circumstances it's mildly tollerable, but when he's in the lead, it's absolutely the most annoying thing in the world, because he now feels the need to explain to everyone how brilliantly he is playing. Not only that, but having the lead puts him in a more excited mood, and he can't help but talk during other people's turns, commenting on how bad their situation is.

Even more annoying is the fact that sometimes his lead is simply the result of dumb luck or other unavoidable circumstances in the game, yet he will still attribute it to his own brilliant decision-making and strategy. And repeatedly tells us so.

But the single most annoying thing this person does is actually rather subtle and seemingly quite innocuous, but it gets under everyone's skin without fail. If someone makes a move that in any way benefits "the chatterbox" (which nobody wants to do because of what I described above), either inadvertently or unavoidably, he will immediately chirp, "Why, thank you," in a half-surprised tone that belittles his opponent for making a stupid blunder. Sometimes he'll follow this up with (I kid you not), "Oh, goodie.". I know it doesn't sound like much, but I simply can't do it justice in a forum post. You have to witness it happening at the game table - it will instantly make you want to slug him.

Someday, I fear someone will...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I try so so so so so hard to avoid any usual gamer stereotypes that I'm probably horrible to play games with.

If anything I tend to play some moves a bit too casually (for example playing Hacienda for the first time last night, from turn one I just dropped down the three cards I was gonna play as my three turns all at once rather than going through them in turn.)

I also THINK I do some metagaming, asking who's in the lead if the scores aren't completely visible and I know it's not me, in order to 'jog' other players' memories about who to negatively affect.

So yeah, I'm the annoying overly-casual metagamer.

But I think metagaming is part of the game. Hell, I don't even play my Playstation in silence and I tend to rant at certain programmes on TV...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eddy Bee wrote:
But the single most annoying thing this person does is actually rather subtle and seemingly quite innocuous, but it gets under everyone's skin without fail. If someone makes a move that in any way benefits "the chatterbox" (which nobody wants to do because of what I described above), either inadvertently or unavoidably, he will immediately chirp, "Why, thank you," in a half-surprised tone that belittles his opponent for making a stupid blunder. Sometimes he'll follow this up with (I kid you not), "Oh, goodie.". I know it doesn't sound like much, but I simply can't do it justice in a forum post. You have to witness it happening at the game table - it will instantly make you want to slug him.

We have one guy in our group who is a serious gloater. I don't know how to explain it, but if he happens to counter your move (like he has the right card in Magic or whatever), he does what we call "pumpkinheading". He emerges from his normal slouch to hold his head up high and sports a massive jack o' lantern grin.
He does the exact same thing when he is asked to reroll a die (generally because he's rolled it and picked it up without anyone seeing it) and it produces a higher number than his original claim - almost as if the gods are punishing us for questioning him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mib668 wrote:
Eddy Bee wrote:

We have one guy in our group who is a serious gloater. I don't know how to explain it, but if he happens to counter your move (like he has the right card in Magic or whatever), he does what we call "pumpkinheading". He emerges from his normal slouch to hold his head up high and sports a massive jack o' lantern grin.
He does the exact same thing when he is asked to reroll a die (generally because he's rolled it and picked it up without anyone seeing it) and it produces a higher number than his original claim - almost as if the gods are punishing us for questioning him.

I can picture his big grinning mug and it's annoying me already

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Johnson
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
He is just a wierd guy, sometimes annoying

this coming from a guy who has borat as an avatar.

stay well,

jj

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.