United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

A quick question: I've never been to a gaming convention before, but I'd love to as soon as humanly possible. What would be the best con for me to attend, keeping in mind that I live in the UK, only speak (or maybe more importantly, read) English and tend to go for a cross-section of Euros (especially Knizia) and Fantasy Flight-style games.

Thanks for the recommendations,

Chris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Maloney
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you could hop a plane immediately (to Baltimore, here in the US) and attend Euro-Quest, which, as I write, has already started and will continue through Sunday.
I recommend the WBC in late July/early August. Check out www.boardgamers.org for details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
I'd love to as soon as humanly possible

It's your lucky day!

Midcon starts tomorrow 16:00 until Sunday 18:00. It's in Birmingham.

(that's Birmingham, England not the one in Alabama)

Details here: http://fbgames.co.uk/Midcon/index.htm (this page also has links to some other UK conventions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops! I know I said as soon as humanly possibly, but I'm afraid for this human it's not possible this weekend!

Any time over the next year would be fine. ;-)

Apart from the obvious playing, buying and selling games, what else goes on at a con? :-)

Cheers,

Chris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the Cons that I have been to I like Gencon, it has a good mix of gaming types, but probably isn't the best for straight board gaming.

I would say that the most important factor is having a friend to go with, I think doing a con solo might be a bit depressing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cast Are Dice in Stoke was incredibly friendly, chilled out, laid back (and all other fun, relaxed words) and I'm sure more people than I will agree with that.

Next one will be summer next year.
I dunno what Oxcon is like but that's not too far away...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
This year I've been to Baycon (Exeter), Beer+Pretzels (Burton-on-Trent), Manorcon (Birmingham) and CastAreDice (Stoke). Each time, I've travelled alone, though for a couple of the later conventions I knew someone I'd met at Baycon would be attending.

I've found every one of them great fun, with plenty of people happy to play games with all comers.

This is my first time at Midcon, but I don't think it will be that different.

I'd also say that playing games is the main thing - buying & selling occurs, but its very minor. Other things do get organised (I can think of quiz nights & a croquet competition), but I seem to miss them by playing games. Some people have been know to have a drink.

The one thing I'd mention is that a couple of the conventions have organised championships alongside "open gaming". After dipping my toe into an organised competition at my first convention I decided the time commitments (& pressure) weren't for me, and I stick to open gaming - which basically means playing whatever you like with whoever you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Cash and Guns with me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon craddock
United Kingdom
widnes
cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The following site hopes to have details of most of the UK cons.
http://www.boardgamers.org.uk/index.php

Hope it provides some help.
I have been to most of the UK cons and they are all very
similar with a very friendly crowd ready and willing to play
almost anything...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about the UK cons, because I've never been to one. All I can comment on is the US cons.

All cons have open gaming. Most cons have specific games scheduled to be played at certain times & places. Many cons will have competitions, where gamers will play a specific game to determine a champion. Some cons may have multigame championships, or team championships. Many cons will have dealers selling gaming stuff, and the bigger cons will have new games released there. Some cons will have flea-markets, where someone can rent a table to sell their stuff or just put items up for sale. Some cons will have silent auctions, and some of the larger cons will have normal auctions. I have also seen cons that have movie rooms, art rooms and costume contests - although these are more likely at Sci-Fi cons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
HamsterOfFury wrote:
Like Cash and Guns with me

Precisely...

Provided you manage to take time out from letting the clamouring public get a taste of your wonderful new game Tour, which a little bird tells me you'll be bringing along to the con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can highly recommend Stabcon in Manchester, which will take place the first weekend after New Year (and again in the summer).

It's also very reasonably priced.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Resting-Jeppesen
Denmark
Søborg
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
www.greatcanadianbaycon.com would be rather good. it's really cheap 1 day pass 12 $ and weekend pass 20 $ that makes it interesting for a first timer. and there are a lot of introduction games running so that will be a good place to go.

it's running in may 4,5 & 6.

...im going!

resting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.