BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Filial Support Laws rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
So I found recently that PA is aggressively pursuing such laws (and so is South Dakota). About 29 states have such laws, despite the social nets like Medicaid. Some of them have since rescinded their laws like Idaho.

Yet apparently, PA leads the way. I have to say that if anything were to convert me to a libertarian, this would be it. It seems an insane law. One that interferes fundamentally with the freedom to associate or not associate between family members.

In PA, it has been applied even to parents in another state that happened to have a son in PA who died with medical bills, thereby subjecting them to the perils of a never-empty nest. In a very real way, there is no personal responsibility left. You are tied like serfs to a feudal lord to family members well beyond the realms of reason.

I'm sure this has some good roots, but it seems fundamentally mistaken to me considering that you can never ever control someone else's personal decisions on financial decisions (and nor should you).

Be aware that these are the states were there have similar laws that are currently unenforced - except SD (yet nursing care homes and other creditors are sure to follow the example my great state of PA):

Alaska, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia.

Article on current law:

http://www.post-gazette.com/business/2014/10/26/Elder-Law-A-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had no idea such laws even existed. I concur that that seems absolutely insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
damiangerous wrote:
I had no idea such laws even existed. I concur that that seems absolutely insane.

I wasn't either. The $92,000 judgement against a son whose mother who got injured in a car accident and then skipped out on her bills to move to Greece was in 2012. He lost all the appeals despite the fact she had a husband and other kids. Unfortunately for him, he had money so he got stuck with the bill.

The Bangor parents were basically retired when their 47-year old son died. The doctor's office in PA is destroying them with his bills.

What the FUCK, PA.

This is what we are all in for with 29 states with these laws. I'm sure PA is just the beginning. The ACA will make sure of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that seems...a LITTLE insane. And annoying, given my parents are in a doomsday cult (more or less) and believe that since the world is ending tomorrow (since about the 1920s...but any day, now, for reals) they have never saved a penny nor been shy of racking up debt (to this shortly-to-end...*cough*...system).

Grrrrr.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is a doomsday cult, more or less? other than believing that the world is ending?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If we were talking about the estate of the deceased I would have no issue with this. If (as seems to be the case) it is not beneficiaries of the estate then I would have major reservations about this. But I do not see why them being dead makes this any more unfair than if they are alive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big medicine gets all of your money, one way or another. Abuse of the system, check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
In Southern Europe you see similar laws happening in a different direction: 25+ year old unemployed men without a job telling the courts that their parents owe them an allowance, once their unemployment benefits run out.

As someone who left his country in many ways to disassociate myself from family members, I have to say I find such laws, in both directions, to make no sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
This is what we are all in for with 29 states with these laws. I'm sure PA is just the beginning. The ACA will make sure of it.

What does the Affordable Care Act have to do with this? Or did you mean something else by 'ACA'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:
What is a doomsday cult, more or less? other than believing that the world is ending?

Green Peace ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, this is insane. I think the State should be able to put a lien against the estate of the person in question, but nothing more.

Although I suppose people could still game the system by transferring money, up to the legal limit per year, before the person dies to get around that. Or maybe something with trusts or whatnot. But I think existing laws would allow the State recourse if that were to happen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Yep, this is insane. I think the State should be able to put a lien against the estate of the person in question, but nothing more.

Although I suppose people could still game the system by transferring money, up to the legal limit per year, before the person dies to get around that. Or maybe something with trusts or whatnot. But I think existing laws would allow the State recourse if that were to happen?

Correct, you can't transfer or sell assets below their value to avoid losing them in a bankruptcy, tons of laws around that. Generally called fraudulent transfer or fraudulent conveyance. Depending on the state the time period can be pretty long, usually extending to a time before you first acquired the debts that led to bankruptcy. For example if you get cancer, transfer all your assets, and then die 5 years later, those assets can be seized by those to whom you owe your debts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me of several months back where that kid decided to go to a college her parents didn't approve of and so the kid sued her parents and won, forcing them to pay for her school of choice. Basically bullshit, once someone is 18 the only one that should be responsible for their debts are themselves unless there is a marriage or business partnership involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Well, that seems...a LITTLE insane. And annoying, given my parents are in a doomsday cult (more or less) and believe that since the world is ending tomorrow (since about the 1920s...but any day, now, for reals) they have never saved a penny nor been shy of racking up debt (to this shortly-to-end...*cough*...system).

Grrrrr.....

The good news is that while they're probably wrong about the world actually ending, their fiat money debt will be meaningless in a Resource Based Economy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:

Agreed. If Joe has been transferring money to me as a gift then Joe's creditors might have some grounds to come after me if they can demonstrate that Joe and I were doing the transfer as a way to avoid him paying his debts. But outside of that, adults shouldn't be legally on the hook for the bills of other adults (beyond their share of taxes if society at large covers them), whether related or not.

Making kids financially responsible for their parents seems particularly wrong. My kids exist because of choices I made, but they had no say whatsoever in me existing and they have no control over what I do. The idea that if I screw up badly enough I could ruin their lives seems totally unjust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like asinine bills like this come about because we're the only Western nation without some kind of reasonable healthcare system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.