Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Ramblings of of an old Star Wars Minis player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Samuels
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Alright late night chaps time for a little rant.

Why are there no cover squares at all. Seems like it would make skirmish games all the more tactful. Also no attacks of opportunity maybe this is just my positioning but having your melee Wookiee beast get shotgunned in the face by elite Trandos sucks the big one. They just walked in shoot ya and move away screening themselves with chaff. Even with chewie and and extra defense die it doesn't matter because they do 2 damage just from being based to ya before dice are rolled.

Also i'm gunna try and grid this one out cause i'm to lazy to take a picture. I had and FFG OP guy rule this in a casual game at adepticon.

_ _ _ _ _ _ A
++++++X B

A being my opponets character and B being my character and the dashes representing a dotted terrain line as in an elevated square thingy. Apparently A is allowed to move diagonaly into square X which seemed very loose in my eyes don't really think it should work that way.

Also Maps are super small with diagonals in play maybe they should make them bigger. Note only played skirmish games so purely judging on that basis heard the campaign mode was sweet. Still like this game just some flaws I saw trying out the skirmish game.

rant over. (I hope that grid made sense)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
each figure has its pros and cons and you need to make use of its abilities.
given that the maps are fairly small in distance, melee is still viable.

i do feel that the lack of cover is a missing feature for a game where shooting is predominently used, and could also make melee more viable (if cover only protects vs range but not vs melee)

that diagonal movement is indeed allowed, it is only blocked if there is impassable terrain in both opposite spaces.
when one space has a figure it can never be blocked regardless of terrain on the other diagonal space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
The squares share a corner. Corners are only obstructed if walls or blocking, or impassable terrain meet in a corner. So, the spaces are adjacent, and you always have LoS and can move to adjacent spaces.

You are not lacking cover in the game, it is just more difficult to arrange. Figures easily block LoS intentionally and unintentionally during a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Brook
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I think the new command cards for brawlers really helps with that attack opp thing. Once Boba comes out he has it built in. Also Guardians have a few cards that make it so you cant move.

This game takes time getting use to if your a old minis player. Yes the maps are small but think of it this way. Round one in minis you really just move 12 squares unless you have a movement breaker then you might attack something.

Now you are in a map a lot closer to Imperial Assault. Still a little smaller than minis but pretty close.

Also the new missions force combat better but still make you move all around the map. There is a lot more tactics involved with the new missions and maps than the old ones.

Trandos are really strong if they are adj but if they arent not so much. If I am a rebel player and see a lot of adjacent stuff in my meta I will play two of Slippy target and maybe even dirty trick.

Since all figures block los I think that helps not having cover in this game also the power of the dice helps even this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eding
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll chime in on the cover aspect.

The plastic figs blocking LOS were mentioned above, but I think there is a SLIGHT representation of cover in the accuracy mechanic. It's not exactly cover, but it does represent the difficulty of making distance hits.

Maybe the accurracy values were more about keeping most ranged figs closer to the melee figs so they are still within attacking distance?

I like the game a lot, but I can totally see some mechanics shock coming from a gaime that was so popular for so long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be super easy to house rule Cover into your home games:

Cover: For each LOS line that crosses Cover terrain, subtract 2 from the Accuracy number of an Attack.

Perhaps 2 is too harsh a penalty, but just winging it in my head, 1 seems like not enough because of the existing generous LOS rules.

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.