Hide
12 Posts

BattleLore (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hill LOS question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jt izzle
msg tools
So me and my friend played a scenario containing "the veil of secrets" and "the blind muir forest." Needless to say we and a ridiculous amount of hill tiles in the center of the map.

My question is; is there a plateau effect?
Example: archer stands on a hill. adjacent tile is a hill. and then a third adjacent hill is occupied with an enemy archer. Do the archers have LOS to each other or is that middle tile with a hill blocking LOS?

Hill with archer>>>>HILL>>>>>Hill with enemy archer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Germany
Dresden
Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally , LOS is blocked by Hills, that means they can't see each other when a hill Field is between them.

But you can use Houserules and play it like you suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jt izzle
msg tools
thanks for the response.

House rules would be what we used with the plateau effect.

But if i were to play sanctioned events what would that rule be?
my Roomy is more of a house rules w/e type of person but i'm more of a rules monger. dont get me wrong i love playing all sorts of games; i just would rather play by a more standardized set of rules and have the occasional FAQ or errata to look up odd circumstances that I cant find in the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Germany
Dresden
Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, consider , that every rule in the rulebook is for a reason and when they collide, there will be(i hope so) a official statement from FFG or Richard Borg. But right now it seems they are so clever and just add new rules that doesnt involve a combination with other rules( example: Hillgiant destroys a house). And even with a rule summary, there is only written, "Blocking LOS" and nothing else.

But for your case , it is clear, you just have to remember every rule when you read other rules (sounds so easy wow but sometimes it isnt!).

Just use a Textfile/Papersheet where you have your houserules written.
That's how i do it for my games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jt izzle
msg tools
that's a great suggestion. THANKS!!!

so for my instance i would just use the the direct writted rule "HILLS are a blocking template" and for the house rule cennecting hills have a plateau effect. i guess either way; the game wouldn't change just the underlying strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this is a rules section, rule as written is:
"Hills: Ranged units in hill hexes ignore all units when tracing line of sight. However, blocking terrain still blocks line of sight for units in hill hexes.".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Germany
Dresden
Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the Idea with the plateau effect^^ i will save it for mine too.
That reminds me, there was in Battelore 1Edition or another hexfield game (i am not sure) even hex fields that calls "Cliff" or so, where the one unit on it has the advantage of attacking with range from there, but the opponent unit cannot go or attack there, they can only go on a same connected tile that isnt adjactent to cliff-side , there was a plateau.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jt izzle
msg tools
David: thanks thats how my brain interpreted the rule. so in my example the units would not have LOS to each other.

Tom: I Can't quote from 1st ed or any other type of C&C game of this kind as this is my 1st: but i am entrapped by it.

theatrics says the "Plateau" effect should work, but the rules state otherwise as "hills" are a blocking terrain regardless of how they are arranged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the FFG policy is to keep rules as simple as possible. That would explain why they don't allow exceptions even when our intuition prompts differently.
Personally I would rather see a few more rules to keep things more intuitive. But on the other hand I don't have a problem accepting rules as they are.
Problem with home rules is, once you start home-ruling there is no end. You will always feel things are not perfect, and truth is they cannot. There will always remain range of assumptions and simplification separating game from real life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
manwhich361 wrote:
But if i were to play sanctioned events what would that rule be?

For what it's worth, I'm not sure there will be sanctioned events for this. Most games that have them for FFG have them right from the start. Since there've been no rumblings of such for Battlelore, I doubt we'll see any in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan King
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The hill between archers is definitely blocking terrain in 2e, as the rules are written. Thematically, I imagine it as the rolling hills pictured, not as a plateau - ranged units use the lee of the hillside for cover until they move to the apex to fire down below. They aren't high enough to allow you to fire over buildings, just over units, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Germany
Dresden
Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manwhich361 wrote:
David: thanks thats how my brain interpreted the rule. so in my example the units would not have LOS to each other.

Tom: I Can't quote from 1st ed or any other type of C&C game of this kind as this is my 1st: but i am entrapped by it.

theatrics says the "Plateau" effect should work, but the rules state otherwise as "hills" are a blocking terrain regardless of how they are arranged.

Power-Nerd activated meeple.

Look at Page 3: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/battle...

But i think, if i would look further into all the addons from 1E , i would never stop implement stuff from there and my game would be broken.
So i just let it rest.zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.