Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently, when you add a video, it says:

Notice: PLEASE do not add videos created by other users before they have had a chance to do so themselves.

I'd like it to be changed to

Notice: PLEASE do not add videos created by other users unless you have permission from the video producer.

I like to post my own videos because
1.) People who look under my name can find them easier.
2.) People who subscribe to me find them.
3.) It's easier for me to find comments on them
4.) Geekgold (although this is minor for me - it may be a bigger deal for others).
5.) Thumbs (same as # 4)

Right now, the "had a chance" window is how long? I can understand years, but I've had busy days and come back to find someone has posted my video after only a day or two. Sometimes hours. Each time the person has said something like "they are only trying to help", but never once have they contacted me first. It's a bit annoying, and it also comes across as a land rush when people rush to be the first to post something like the newest Tabletop video, for instance.

This is a small problem in the history of BGG, but I think video creators should have a slight bit control over their own work. Right now, if someone else posts your video, you can't do anything about it but ask them to take it down, which they may or may not do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ketty
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I have seen videos from a Spanish web posted in BGG but someone other than the creator. And I think the creator stopped posting his videos in BGG so he can have more visitors in his own web site, so the poster is clearly going over the creators wishes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:
I'd like it to be changed to

Notice: PLEASE do not add videos created by other users unless you have permission from the video producer.

This makes excellent sense for a situation like yours.

But it may be too strict for other situations, e.g. someone finds an old but good video (from a few years ago) about a game. The video would be of interest to BGG users interested in the game. The finder tries in good faith to contact the person who made the video, without success. No answer. ... Therefore they can't post a link to the video?

I'm not sure what the best solution is, alas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BGG allows people to create hyperlinks to:
externally hosted webpages
externally hosted images
externally hosted videos

All of these links are currently created without the content creator's permission (and the images are often hotlinked which some image hosters consider a cardinal sin).

While I have enjoyed many of Tom's videos, I appreciate them being associated under Tom's name and I find it convenient to thumb them as a way of reminding myself I've seen them, I see nothing at all special about videos that should require special permission to link to them.

Tom's request presupposes
that the BGG user who wishes to link can contact the video creator,
that the video creator is a BGG user who might post a link to the video
and that the would-be-link-poster knows both the BGG and Youtube identities of the video creator and has associated these identities with each other.
I do not believe these are reasonable suppositions.

In the event the video creator says no or is unresponsive is the would-be-linker supposed to not post a link? How is this to be enforced?

On the grounds of unreasonableness, non-specialness and unenforceability I have to argue against Tom's request. I do think a suggested time limit be included since what Tom quoted was very unhelpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quint Wheeler
United States
North Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
Q
badge
Q
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like a good compromise would be to allow the videos creator to request an admin to take it down if the poster won't. Then they can re-post it themselves. Is there a reason that's not allowed? Regardless, there should still be a specific time limit included in the posting policy notice or it's effectively useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
If my understanding (someone please correct me if wrong) then the proposed change of wording wouldn't actually change anything because you have already granted permission via allowing the YouTube video to be embedded. My understanding is that that is a permission you automatically give anyone via YouTube's Terms of Service when making a video embeddable. If you don't want people to have permission to embed a video you need to disable the ability to embed it.

YouTube ToS Section 6C wrote:
For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your Content. However, by submitting Content to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Content in connection with the Service and YouTube's (and its successors' and affiliates') business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Service (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You also hereby grant each user of the Service a non-exclusive license to access your Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such Content as permitted through the functionality of the Service and under these Terms of Service.

We can reassign who the user is that is marked as having added the link on BGG, though honestly I think the better answer would be to simply stop listing anyone as having added it at all, perhaps adding a link to the YouTube creator's YouTube profile instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
If my understanding (someone please correct me if wrong) then the proposed change of wording wouldn't actually change anything because you have already granted permission via allowing the YouTube video to be embedded. My understanding is that that is a permission you automatically give anyone via YouTube's Terms of Service when making a video embeddable. If you don't want people to have permission to embed a video you need to disable the ability to embed it.

YouTube ToS Section 6C wrote:
For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your Content. However, by submitting Content to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Content in connection with the Service and YouTube's (and its successors' and affiliates') business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Service (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You also hereby grant each user of the Service a non-exclusive license to access your Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such Content as permitted through the functionality of the Service and under these Terms of Service.

We can reassign who the user is that is marked as having added the link on BGG, though honestly I think the better answer would be to simply stop listing anyone as having added it at all, perhaps adding a link to the YouTube creator's YouTube profile instead.

I don't believe Mr. Vasel is making a legal argument above, and this is more a legal defense in this post.

He's asking if certain common courtesies can be requested from users formally, precisely because legal arguments to prohibit linking to the works of others are not available (and not desirable) here.

Pete (thinks the site on the whole would like to see content uploaded from the originator's account and not some random guy)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, we all know someone posting a video by a popular contributor (ie, Joe Schmoe posting one of Tom Vasel's review) is almost always seeking thumbs, geek gold and kudos. It's pretty clear Tom actively posts his own content so people scalping it while claiming to help seems transparently dishonest.

Sadly, I don't know how to solve it other than the creator to devote more time and energy to getting the first. Perhaps as soon as the upload to YouTube begins (when it tells you what the future video link will be), enter it on BGG using that future link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I disable embedding, then I cannot post them either. And I don't mind people embedding them on various sites.

I'm just asking that BGG clarify that people should make it clearer that people should not be posting stuff up before creators have a chance to. Everyone who I've contacted me always tells me they didn't realize that I wanted to do it first. A bigger message with clearer context is what I'm asking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quint Wheeler
United States
North Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
Q
badge
Q
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

This isn't about just embedding a video on a page - anyone can do that in any forum post and no one has a problem with it. This is specifically about creating a BGG video entry BGG's database - which I think BGG certainly has some say over. Not linking it to the user would defeat the purpose of subscribing to that user to catch all their videos - which a lot of people do. Granted you could subscribe to the dice tower channel on youtube, but that contains a lot more than just Tom's videos. Plus, why should BGG want to encourage people to leave the site?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
From a practical standpoint, people are going to continue doing as they've doing regardless of the wording of our request.

As we want any and all game related videos linked to the game entries I'm really moving more and more toward thinking the best answer would be to not include any info about the identity of whatever user linked the video to the game entry, and adding a new feature to identify an existing BGG user as the creator of the video, which will trigger any interested people's subscriptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
From a practical standpoint, people are going to continue doing as they've doing regardless of the wording of our request.

As we want any and all game related videos linked to the game entries I'm really moving more and more toward thinking the best answer would be to not include any info about the identity of whatever user linked the video to the game entry, and adding a new feature to identify an existing BGG user as the creator of the video, which will trigger any interested people's subscriptions.

I hope the the BGG user who is flagged as the "creator" of the video would be allowed to admin the video as if they themselves had posted it, so unified header info and whatnot can be used?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
rahdo wrote:
Octavian wrote:

I hope the the BGG user who is flagged as the "creator" of the video would be allowed to admin the video as if they themselves had posted it, so unified header info and whatnot can be used?

Yeah...that would make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's going to next to impossible to police posting publicly available videos. Tom is certainly within his rights to ask for a level of decorum, but it'll fall in most part on deaf ears. Video creators have ultimate control of if it can be embedded or not, but little else beyond that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:
If I disable embedding, then I cannot post them either. And I don't mind people embedding them on various sites.

I'm just asking that BGG clarify that people should make it clearer that people should not be posting stuff up before creators have a chance to. Everyone who I've contacted me always tells me they didn't realize that I wanted to do it first. A bigger message with clearer context is what I'm asking for.

If it's really a case of people sincerely not realizing that you wanted to do it, what if you put text to that effect in the youtube description of your videos?

The problem I see with your proposal is that it makes it impossible for anyone to link to a game video if they cannot contact the creator (or the creator doesn't reply), even if it's a very old video, so that clearly the creator wasn't rushing to add it to BGG (often the creator of a game video doesn't even particularly know or care about BGG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
rahdo wrote:
Octavian wrote:

Yeah...that would make sense.

oh, also, if this were to go through, I would hope the 'creator' would get any geekgold that gets tipped to the video as well?

i'm certain most people don't care about this one way or the other, but I have to spend roughly $200-300 real world dollars of geekgold every year, so every little bit helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.