Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's that time of year again when I am getting a wishlist together for my birthday and the holidays. In addition to my BGG "games" wishlist I send my family, I usually send them an Amazon wishlist for variety.

What PC game should I add to my Amazon wishlist?

I get about one game a year and play every once in awhile. I'll play for a couple of hours and then pick it up again months later. Last year I got Half-Life 2 and enjoy it (still haven't finished yet--I'm slow). I also like D&D-type games, and even games like Tiger Woods golf. I know nothing about what are considered to be the best games right now. I don't play any "multi-player" games or subscription-based games, although I could probably be talked into it. I have a speedy computer with a high-end graphics card, so specs shouldn't be an issue.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Rick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I myself am not into video games but Call of Duty 2 caught my eye. Not sure if that is available for PC tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've got the graphics power and you like rpg games then Oblivion is the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:
If you've got the graphics power and you like rpg games then Oblivion is the way to go.

Actually someone I play boardgames with mentioned that game to me earlier this year and I completely forgot about it. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed Lord of the Rings The Battle for Middle Earth.

There is a newer version out with more stuff I beleive, but I have a "sit back and wait for the hoopla to pass" attitude so I buy PC games about 6 months AFTER they've come out and then get them about 50% off.

It really only matters to get a game when it first comes out if you play online a lot. If you play at home mostly, then you get the same enjoyment for a discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverwinter Nights 2

(Think well-developed stories, deep characters, reminds of Baldurs Gate, etc. It's far more 'RPG' than Oblivion, which IMNSHO is just a tech demo.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dignam
United States
Lithia
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:

I 2nd this. There is so much 3rd party user content and Mods for this game, the PC version is the only way to go for this great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dignam
United States
Lithia
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go download the new Warhammer fantasy RTS Demo that just got released as well. Very well done IMHO. Great gameplay and some good RPG elements added as well.

Company of Heroes is also a very good RTS. There are 3 demos out for this I think, 2 single player and 1 multi.

The new Warhammer 40k RTS expansion is really good as well especially if you like the genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll ditto Oblivion, its probably a good choice if you already like RPGs.

If you have any interest in the RTS genre, 'Company of Heroes' is my current fascination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite game is probably Civilization IV. I very much enjoyed all the games of the Civ series, but IV is the best by far. Very addicting and strategic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I'll put the games on the list and see what my family buys me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Not sure if this is your type of game or not but if you want something new and shiny...

Medieval 2: Total War

Looks like it will be pretty impressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
meowsqueak wrote:
Neverwinter Nights 2

(Think well-developed stories, deep characters, reminds of Baldurs Gate, etc. It's far more 'RPG' than Oblivion, which IMNSHO is just a tech demo.)

You had me until you stated Baldur's Gate as an example of a deep RPG. I would say, IMHO, that Fallout, Fallout2, and Arcanum are the triumvirate of 'deep' and 're-playable' RPGs. On the other hand, Neverwinter Nights 2 sounds like the best thing going right now,... till another RPG as good as Fallout comes out... which may never happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You may want to check out this as well:

Star Trek: Legacy

Looks like another very good one if you're at all into Star Trek and good looking Space sims.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer,

I didn't actually state Baldur's Gate as an example of a deep RPG. My comparison with BG is actually based on the way the party works, but I didn't say that.

I agree that the Fallout duo are 'deep'. I would include Planescape Torment on the basis of its excellent story and characters, although the replayability is less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone who helped out. I got Oblivion for my birthday, and I'm pretty sure I'm getting Neverwinter Nights 2 for Christmas. I hope I don't need to play the games earlier in the series to understand what's going on in these two.

Thanks again,
Rick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Civ IV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Civ IV first and Rise of Legends second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oblivion
Zillions of Games http://www.zillionsofgames.com
Many Faces of Go http://www.smart-games.com/
Tournament Texas Hold'em http://www.wilsonsoftware.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald M. Zabos
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at http://www.sunflowers.de/english/index.php

I just installed Anno 1701. Impressing grafix, build and trade like game. It even provides multiplayer access.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.