Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
57 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Terra Incognita» Forums » General

Subject: [WIP] Terra Incognita, a 2015 Solitaire Print and Play Contest Entry - Components ready rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tamás Marosvári
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
This is the WIP thread for my 2015 Solitaire Print and Play Contest entry, Terra Incognita.

The game sets in the late 19th century when the interior of the Dark Continent is still unexplored. You will be chosen as the leader of an expedition to explore and claim new lands, establish flourishing trade routes, spread the Word of God to the pagans, and bring the riches of Africa back to the Old World.

Game flow

The game will have several scenarios from the fast and simple ones to the complex, time consuming missions. I also plan to expand the game with a 2 player version. Your task will be the organization of an expedition. The chosen scenario will determine your goals, time limit and funds. You chose your crew and resources, then start your journey. During the expedition you will face random events, you have to deal with the weather, unfriendly tribes, supply shortages, unknown diseases and much more. If you manage your resources wisely and you are lucky enough, you will return to the civilization with fame and pride!

Mechanics

Point-to-point movement
Tile reveal
Resource management and transportation
Random events

Game time

Scenario based (35 min. – 180 min.)
for the contest I'm planing to finish at least 2 scenarios (1 short and 1 medium one)

Components:
Not finalized yet.

Files:
Rules - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4IK_Ej9Rp-NdkItQnQ0VGc4NDQ...

Base components - Version 08.06.2015
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4IK_Ej9Rp-NQlJHUi1wNnlaRGs...

Stanley's expedition components - Version 13.06.2015
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4IK_Ej9Rp-NNldTZUNGc25ZTFE...

Scenario Book - Version 13.06.2015
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4IK_Ej9Rp-NR2RPVDZUVnJRR1k...

Category:
Best Large game
Best Thematic game
Best New Designer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Terra Incognita, a 2015 Solitaire Print and Play Contest Entry - Idea Phase
Cool. That's a WIDE variance in game time--I'm guessing some of those scenarios will be pretty intense!

Welcome to the contest, Tamas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Herman
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Terra Incognita, a 2015 Solitaire Print and Play Contest Entry - Idea Phase
I'm really looking forward to this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamás Marosvári
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks guys!

I started the first testings, so I will have some update in the next days (with some picture and the core system).
I can reveal the first scenario: Stanley's expedition to find Livingstone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamás Marosvári
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hey!

Here are some updates. I will upload some picture soon.

I finished some testing and I would like to share the core system of the game. It still needs a lot of testing and the specifications, so these are only the basics.
You chose the scenario and set up the map (The scenario has an introduction to do that). The scenario has a primary objective and some minor objective, a time limit and a budget, and it defines your starting point.
You take 1 expedition sheet and fill it up with crew and resource. Every crew type and resource has a price, and you can spend your budge to organize your expadition and save some money for the further needs.
When you ready you put the time marker on the right place (indicated on the sceanrio instruction): year, month, week, day. Put yout expedition marker on the starting point.
On the map there are a lot of square territory, these are the checkpoint locations. Between them there are lines (routes) with little circles on them. Every circle on a road rappresents 1 required day of traveling. Every checkpoint location has 1 or more symbols in it. It shows the possible actions on that location. There are some location where you can see already symbols and some location has a question mark in it. When you reach a location with a question mark draw 1 location marker and put it on the territory. It remains there for the whole game.
The map has also regions. This is significant because you draw the location tile for the right region. You have a pile for the Tanganika region, and the Jungle region etc...
In the locations there are required actions and voluntary actions. Your can use your crew and resources to perform these actions. For that you have to use the action pads. In a worker placement system you put your crew members and resources on the action pad and throw the indicated number of dices to get the resoult.
There are some location where you see the symbols of a card, where you have to draw the camp or road card and make your decision based on the card.
As you progress on the time tracker sometimes you fill find a „W” letter in a card symbol. In that case you have to draw a wheather card for every region, whic has an effect.
You can split your expedition and use more expedition marker and sheet. You can fill up your resources in the villages during the expedition. You have to fight native tribes, you can hunt for supply, you have to cross swamps and rivers, fight the malaria and explore new territories.
If you lose your leader you will fail. If you run out of time an other expedition will complete your task so you fail.

What do you think of that? how do you like the idea?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Sounds like a fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the theme and the fact that it will be scenario-driven. Looking forward to more updates about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamás Marosvári
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi!

I share some pictures with you from the early testings.

Now I'm testing the various Action Pads (crossing, hunting, fight, village, etc...) and try to balance square tiles and resourcesIf I will have some updates I will share it.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamás Marosvári
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi!

My goal is to find the best balance between reality and playability, and I would like to ask your opinion about a few things.

Now I'm testing the game with an avarege of 40-50 people in an expedition. 60-70% are slave carriers with a minimal action requirements. As I see it now with this number I can implement with realistic effect the diseases, escapes etc....and it is easily manageable.
I use now little round tokens (color is for the crew member type) as crew members what can be substituted with little colored cubes.

I have 2 questions:
- Is this expedition member number seems to you manageable or it seems to be too much? (you can always use more if you want )
is it ok to use cubes in that number or do you prefer pronted tokens. I think it's more pratical to use the cubes, but as long as this is a PNP contest I understand if you prefer the paper tokens.

Thanks for the feedbacks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
I am not sure I would want to play a game that has me managing slaves. I know that you are trying to keep the game historically accurate, but slaves might be too much.

Maybe you could work out a mechanic that has the player hiring laborers for a one time fee at the beginning of the expedition.

As far as numbers go, the simpler the better. I am not good at math and do not enjoy reading through complex rule sets.

I think cubes or tokens would be fine for tracking stats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Siedschlag
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, use hired laborers vice using the term slaves. That will likely turn many off from the game.

Cubes over tokens, the less the player needs to make for the game the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamás Marosvári
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback. I agree that the term slave is not fortunate, what about tribesman?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Siedschlag
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think tribesmen would be okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James O'Grady
United Kingdom
Wymondham
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Or "bearers", "carriers", "porters".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
I think tribesman would be ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James O'Grady
United Kingdom
Wymondham
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, tribesmen is probably fine (as you've hired people from a local tribe to carry boxes and what not). Game looks interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know the Bantu word for 'Porter' or 'hired man'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamás Marosvári
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The tribesman porters was called "pagasi" and the tribesman warriors was called "askari". Especially in East Africa.
I think the Askari warrior is well known, but the expression Pagasi is very rare, that is why I don't really wanted to use it, but maybe I should take it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marostomi wrote:
The tribesman porters was called "pagasi" and the tribesman warriors was called "askari". Especially in East Africa.
I think the Askari warrior is well known, but the expression Pagasi is very rare, that is why I don't really wanted to use it, but maybe I should take it.

Go for it! You can consider it an educational experience for your game players! We'll all learn something new.

Frankly, I personally feel that the whole slaves issue is grossly overblown, this is a historical game and if slaves were the thing back then, then so be it, it's history and this is a history based game. Why not strive to be accurate in all the details that you can? I have less of a problem with removing the slaves/slavery element altogether than choosing a less offensive name and pretending that the slavery didn't happen. It's ugly, it's brutal, it's offensive and barbaric BUT it happened! It's part of history and shouldn't get glossed over or referred to in softer terms.

But that's my opinion and I totally can see why people would be off put by slaves/slavery. Whether it's slaves vs. pagasi in this game or slaves vs colonists in Puerto Rico or slaves vs. fakirs in 5 tribes, in the end it doesn't make a difference, it's just part of a game.

I love the looks and ideas behind your game and I am hoping that it turns out great! As soon as you have something I can play with I'm printing it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
I agree that slavery is historical, but like terror tactics in warfare it is not something that I personally want to play a game about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adam wilson wrote:
I agree that slavery is historical, but like terror tactics in warfare it is not something that I personally want to play a game about.

I can totally understand that feeling and I'm not criticizing anyone who feels that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamás Marosvári
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi everyone!

After a long time I have some updates. I tested the game several times, even with other peoples and got some good feedback. Rules are close to finalized and I started the design of the cards and maps. The first scenario has a complete item list. I hope I can post some file (at least the rules) during the next weeks. Until then I share some picture from the last test.

Expedition ready to go:

Reaching Tabora after some weeks:

At Lake Tanganyika a disease stops the expeditions for weeks, so a Stanley and a few man continues the route separately:

Hunt for some supply:

Finaly finding Livingstone:

After 8 months Stanley is back in Bagamoyo:

If you have any question please ask me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Siedschlag
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that this is probably not the final art, but this is looking even MORE interesting. Still patiently following.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
What are you using to track stats? They look like rubber rings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamás Marosvári
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
adam wilson wrote:
What are you using to track stats? They look like rubber rings.

My wife's father has a little baby clothes manufacture and I "borrowed" the lower part of the snaps (I hope that's the english word for it). They have a wide selection of colors and it's perfect for board gaming. You can use colored cubes instead of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.