2 Posts

Goblins vs Zombies» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Goblins vs Zombies Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Georgi Dimitrov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
Goblins vs Zombies is a card game for 1 to 3 players in which the players (The Goblins) will try to stop the endless assault of the Zombies. The game is designed by Jack Darwid and published by Jack Darwid Games after successful KickStarter.

Components

- 54 goblin cards
- 36 zombie cards
- 3 Guardian cards
- 3 Game phases’ cards
- 3 cards with zombies skills
- 18 tokens to mark damage

Wave the banners, gather the clans

In its core Goblins vs Zombies is a tower-defense game, very similar to Plants vs Zombies.

Here your objective is with careful planning to build the best defense against the tireless zombies, but there is one important thing to mention - there can be only three Goblins at the same time for every player. Choose wisely.

But that's not all you will have to choose not only what to play but also what to use for playing it. Every Goblin has its price and it is paid with other Goblins in your hand. Will you discard the Goblin that might save you in future to play something that may help you at the moment? The faith of the village is in your hands...

As you're aware most Goblins are crafty creatures that like to play with explosives and it is no surprise that our green fellows here are no different. You will defend your village using Goblins that fire with catapults, use fireworks and ride giant rockets. The Goblin deck as whole is nicely varied and there is solution for every problem in it. But will it come at the right time?

But normal Goblins won't be enough to handle the most vicious of the zombies and that's why the Black Goblin clan is here to help! Among those elite warriors you will find terrifying Scremers, Assasins and powerful Shamans. Sadly they need their pepper to enter the fight.

They are coming slowly but surely

There should be a good reason for the Goblins to have such elite and powerful warriors and there surely is one. The walking dead are a lot smarter than and able than you might think.

In the Undead Horde there are evil occultists which will rise smaller zombies while advancing toward your village. There are also flying sorcerers, Dwarf Warriors, Knights, Ninjas and even Elves.

The zombies will be merciless and of they get to your defenders they will easily kill them and you don't want a fight at the Gate of your village, because if even one enemy pass through your defenses the game is over.

Variants of the game

One of the best thing about this game is that it has few different Modes of play like Bossfights, Last man standing, Co-op and even a variant where one player is The Zombie King and control the Zombies while the other player defends his village.

In other words there will be a lot to play with once you master the Basic game.

Conclusion

Goblins vs Zombies is a nice, small game which successfully creates the feeling of Zombie invasion, but in one light and silly way with its funny and bizarre characters.
The game has simple basic rules, but once you start to play you will face hard choices that may decide your whole game.

The cards are of great quality and great variety. The art style of both factions is really funny and adds a lot to the atmosphere of the game. But there is one thing that I didn't like components wise and that is the damage tokens. I understand that better quality tokens are part of the special edition of the game, but the ones coming with the base edition are really easy to damage and as a whole don't fit with the others nice components.

The other small problem that I had with Goblins vs Zombies is the randomness of the game. There is a good chance for you to lose in the first few turns or even in the first one, because of bad draw that causes a strong zombie to come to the board. I personally lost few games because of Knights and Dwarves appearing too early, but there were also those times when I didn't see them at all.

The thing that solves this problem is the possibility to easily implement "house rules" without breaking the game. For example I play it with four Goblins instead and it is still challenging and fun.

Now that I mentioned rules, there are a few of them in the Rulebook that are a bit vague and few symbols on the zombies that are not clearly explained.

But!!!

Despite all those things the game has great charm and with few small tweaks I enjoy it a lot and will definitely keep it.
Goblins vs Zombies is great "filler" or a game with which to kill some time playing few solo rounds.

For more Board and video games reviews check Bigboxgamers.com and shalog.blogspot.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The other small problem that I had with Goblins vs Zombies is the randomness of the game. There is a good chance for you to lose in the first few turns or even in the first one, because of bad draw that causes a strong zombie to come to the board. I personally lost few games because of Knights and Dwarves appearing too early, but there were also those times when I didn't see them at all.
Correction: you can't lose in the first few Turns (and there's no first Turn lose). The quickest a Zombie can enter the Village is in the third Turn (Knight Zombie), and you still have the powerful Guardian to wipe them, giving you some air to breathe.
A first or second turn Dwarf Zombie or Knight Zombie must be taken care of seriously. If you don't have any Goblins that can take care the said Zombie completely, it's the time to dig the Deck (use more Flagbearers). There are plenty kinds of Goblin that are ready for them, you'll find one soon. If all else fail, you still have the Guardian.

Thanks for the review and glad you enjoy the game

EDIT: add Correction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls