Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Schmitzer
Germany
Garching
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kickstarted posthuman instant. I love anything about it, except the lame wood meeples. They are a no go in my eyes. So please, throw in some nice minis instead. 8 to 12 of them couldn't be too expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I started playing games, we didn't even have meeples. We would have loved to have had meeples!

(Cue Monty Python music...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmitzer
Germany
Garching
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When i started playing games, we didn't even had games. We used girls instead ...

(Marvin Gaye starts singing)

But that was long time ago ... so gimme that minis :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, people will say, "he's a broken record", "he won't let it go". However, I am copying parts of a reply here, that I've posted on the KS comment section numerous times...

About theme vs. pawns (immersion), having a 400ft scale standee or miniature on a 20ft scale terrain always looks dorky in my opinion. I would rather have round, flat, cardboard tokens with character faces than miniatures or standees. Now, if they make the standees very small, I'm good with that.

As the creators have pointed out, the personal map tiles are very small. To have a 28mm miniature or standee mounted on top of them is going to look just as out of place as a "wooden meeple" (which in reality is a non-descript pawn) would look. It would become a game of Land of the Giants, rather than Posthuman.

If you use the pawn, you can let your imagination do its job.

Again, just my opinion and preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for small standees. Just my preference. I'm no fan of cubes and pawns in an ameritrash game.

My imagination is already stretched by the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
sabbat00 wrote:
I know, people will say, "he's a broken record", "he won't let it go". However, I am copying parts of a reply here, that I've posted on the KS comment section numerous times...

About theme vs. pawns (immersion), having a 400ft scale standee or miniature on a 20ft scale terrain always looks dorky in my opinion. I would rather have round, flat, cardboard tokens with character faces than miniatures or standees. Now, if they make the standees very small, I'm good with that.

As the creators have pointed out, the personal map tiles are very small. To have a 28mm miniature or standee mounted on top of them is going to look just as out of place as a "wooden meeple" (which in reality is a non-descript pawn) would look. It would become a game of Land of the Giants, rather than Posthuman.

Or wooden discs with stickered character faces would be good as well - it's a component upgrade, and keeps the artwork in place without having large standees / minis on the tiles (which I agree with you would look out of place). That's much preferred to standard meeples as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Billups
msg tools
mbmbmb
The standees in Darkest Night are small. Those might serve as an example.

I have way too many miniatures to paint as it is. I am fine with standees or flat tokes as described already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nygaard
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniatures could absolutely run a very high cost for the publisher. You have to find an artist, either get them under contract or buy the rights, get molds made, and have the casts produced separately from the rest of your components and have them shipped in for packaging.

I also think that abstract tokens could help the game here. Your character will, over the course of most plays, change in physical form. What if you won the game as a mutant, rending the last human with your mighty claws, and look down to see a human miniature representing your character. Wouldn't that be worse?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmitzer
Germany
Garching
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok then standees. Anything is welcome to replace this pawns. They look so terrible cheap and old fashioned and are not thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, another brilliant cross post from my KS comments. blush

Personally, I really just don't feel the need for an upgrade over the pawns. The pawns are simply being used as a place marker. The particular spot on the individual tile doesn't matter, facing doesn't matter. The art on the character card and all the other cards will be what you are staring at for immersion and story development, not a hunk of out-of-scale plastic (miniature) or a small placard with art on it (standee).

I don't mean to dismiss the original post. This is just a differing opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Eric Brosius wrote:
When I started playing games, we didn't even have meeples. We would have loved to have had meeples!

(Cue Monty Python music...)

We used to have tea without milk or sugar. Or tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Reed
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xord wrote:
The standees in Darkest Night are small. Those might serve as an example.

I tried very hard to give this multiple thumbs but it just kept adding one and then taking it away!!

Seriously, though, I would love something along these lines and think it would fit the game perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian M.
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sabbat00 wrote:

Seriously! I mean, the character sheets have a picture on them if you have no imagination. I prefer wood pawns for a game like this, they're easy to grab and move, have a great weight, fit nicely on the tiles and can be color coordinated to characters if you (still) can't figure out which pawn belongs to each specific character.

+1 for imagination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player pawns are perfect for this game. I am VERY GLAD this is not trying to be another minis game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CAESAR
Sweden
Tenhult
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm voting for standees(If we could vote).

Anything other than those awfull pawns would be great. They don't fit this games theme IMO.

I love minis but for this game i think standees ala Dead of Winter would be the better choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Schmidt
England
Harrogate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Cuz plastic minis make everything better? Be careful what you wish for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmitzer
Germany
Garching
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybee it´s just me but those meeples remind me of smelling old family games. But if the majority here prefer pawns i sure will find a customisation which fill my needs :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Britzel wrote:
Maybee it´s just me but those meeples remind me of smelling old family games. But if the majority here prefer pawns i sure will find a customisation which fill my needs :-)

I think that's a perfectly reasonable response. I know lots of people who have pimped out their favorite game with customized upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Miley
United States
Leola
Select a state
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombies!!! Minis would do in a pinch. One positive about not having custom minis is that there will less likely be production delays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Fireball Island minis are ready for exploration, should I decide to employ them. They are nice and small and of differing colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
Use what you want. Maybe nuts, screws or bolts. But I think pawns are fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the standard wooden meeples are refreshing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
I think the standard wooden meeples are refreshing.

I agree, the meeples are perfectly appropriate. I might prefer tokens for the characteristics, but with little wooden cubes, it reminds me of Eclipse.

This looks like a very nice game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Get Risk Walking Dead, use the few pawns from that, Maybe I will get a copy and break it up to sell the pawns in sets for a buck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care for the shape of the wooden meeples. At first glance, it looked like a hunchback, but then I figured out it was suppose to be a backpack on its back. But worse is that I imagine the tall slender shape will make it easy to knock down.

The amorphous wooden pawns would at least functional. It stands up solidly and be easy to pick up and move around.

I could go either way with standees. On one hand, you've get a more thematic representation of the character you're playing, but standees are easy to knock down. It would also be more expensive to create new characters as in addition to the player cards, you now have to provide the standee representation.

I really don't care for plastic miniatures unless they come pre-painted. Also don't need the extra expense of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.