Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First, maybe I should have put this in Variants or Sessions, I just wasn't sure. I think you could play the scenario out with existing ships subbing for the C but you can also use my Enterprise C in variants. In fact a generic Galaxy would be an excellent substitute. So on to the scenario as we played it.

Part 1. In part 1, the Enterprise C has come through the rift to the future more intact than the show. In concert with the Enterprise D the C has decided to go through the rift. When the Klingons attack, the C's captain is still alive and the two Federation ships engage the Klingons.

Federation; 125 points made up of the USS Enterprise 1701D and the USS Enterprise 1701C with any allocation of points the Fed player desires.

Klingon: 125 points, any ships permitted. I remember him having a Negh’Var with Gowron, Chang’s Bird of Prey with Chang, and a K’Tinga with Martok. Gowron’s s hip had Drex and Chang had Once More into the Breach.

Board is standard with one side as the Klingon entry zone and one as the Federation start. There is a planet in the middle. On the right side of the board (as seen by the Federation) in the middle is a oval shaped rift (there are multiple tokens similar to the Bajoran wormhole in size that can be used for this).

Objectives: Klingon - Destroy the Federation ships. Minor victory destroy more points than the Federation destroys of the Klingons. Major victory destroy all Federation ships. Of course with the timeline change, that will mean you face the Dominion alone (and the Borg) -- oh well.

Objectives: Federation - Major victory destroy all the Klingon ships. If you do, you may roll 5 evade dice for each ship and for every evade you may repair one damage card or shield prior to entering the rift. Minor victory get at least one ship through the rift and destroy at least 1 Klingon ship.

It's possible for both sides to achieve a minor victory.

What happened: The Enterprise C at 64 points and the Enterprise D at 60 points entered the fray as though they were going for the rift and drew the Klingons to set up on the right side of the board (left for them) on the side of the planet with the rift. But the Federation turned to the left around the planet (Picard maneuver on the C) and managed to avoid an actual joust at first. The Klingons split up but managed to concentrate on the Enterprise D anyway but failed to destroy it initially. At first the only shot they got was at the back of the D. Then once they were all close enough on both sides, they focus fired at the D but it still hung on. After wounding the Enterprise D, Chang's bird bumped the Enterprise C but shot at the D anyway. After two rounds of fire, the C destroyed the bird of prey and the D wounded the K'Tinga. As the Enterprise C arced over the top of the planet the D and the K'Tinga exchanged fire and the K'Tinga was destroyed followed in rapid succession by the Enterprise D from the Negh'Var. The Enterprise C ran for the rift with the Negh'Var after her. The Klingon knocked a shield off before the C sailed through. Part 1 done. We essentially replicated the show, though the Klingons lost both the K'Tinga and the Bird of prey. Minor Victory Federation.

Part 2: Nerendra III. Where things went wrong for the Federation.

The C arrives back at Nerendra III. The Romulans are waiting for her and polish her off so they can get back to bombarding the planet.

Federation: Survivors of the first battle.

Romulan: 125 points with at least 3 ships. Scimitar is prohibited.

Objective: Federation - Destroy at least 1 ship and survive at least 5 turns. (good luck!)
Objective: Romulan - Destroy the Enterprise C within 5 turns.

If neither of these conditions are met, the game is a draw (if the C lasts 5 rounds but does not destroy a Romulan ship).

Board has the rift on the middle of the left side of the board as seen from the opposite side from the starting edge for the Romulans. The Federation ships starts on the rift. There is a planet (Nerendra III) in the center and 4 debris tokens around the board. Set the tokens in positions designated by the Federation player. Note that when the Federation ship places (or ships if you're really a good player), the ships may be turned to face any direction. That way the Romulans are kept guessing as to where the C will move at first.

Obviously, this is a very hard scenario for the Federation since they are going to be lucky to have one ship survive the first battle. Merely running will get them a draw at best and this may not be seen as honorable by the Klingons.

What happened: We didn't have the scimitar restriction for our battle. My Enterprise C with only 1 shield damaged arrived to find 2 Scimitars (one with Thaleron weapon) and a romulan Drone 01. If ever there was a match where destroying any of the Romulan ships was going to be hard it was this battle. The Enterprise C turned in from the rift into the Romulans and got past 2 so that only the Scimitar could fire. The Scimitar then fired the Thaleron weapon and killed the C's captain and its entire crew. In the next turn I arc'd around the back of the Scimitar and managed to keep 2 of the enemy ships out of arc and unable to fire at me, firing at the Reman warbird with my Dorsal weapons array. In the next three turns, I got return fire but was not badly damaged. I kept 1 or 2 of the enemy unable to hit me while hitting at least one of them. I tried to concentrate on the prototype since as hard as that is to kill, it's easier than the Remans. On turn 5 I managed to be out of arc on the Reman warbird and too far from the Scimitar and killed the Prototype after three rounds of fire and repair (the prototype repaired itself each round). But the occasional Romulan shots were taking their toll and the Enterprise C was stripped of shields and damaged. Taking a critical that made all my turns red, my luck ran out and on turn 6 after trying to get out of range and turn around a debris token, the Scimitar toasted me with a 6 hit shot. Boom. Federation victory.

Still it's something of a miracle. And we never adjusted the turn order after the C's captain was killed and probably made a few other mistakes during the game. Very hard to turn in a flawless game in this game.

The lesson is that 64 against 125 is enough of a hurdle without having the entire crew killed on Turn 1 so no 6 weapon ships (without flagship anyway) and no Thaleron weapon. We think maybe we should add an orbital platform or two on the Klingon/Federation side orbiting the planet. The Federation needed the planet to dodge around because in a straight joust, the Feds were going to come out badly, though it's possible that they would have focus fired on the D in the first scenario and the C might have still made the rift. But hey that would been boring and I wouldn't have capped two Klingon ships. I didn't feel much like defending the Klingons on scenario 2 that's for sure!

Ok, so that was my build. First I obviously shouldn't have used Dorsal Phaser Array on the Enterprise D since it almost had that already. Then there was the fact that the flagship didn't really help the D since it already had a second action. But hey, thats the breaks. It's a combination of real cards and my own cards. I put most of the points into the C since I thought I'd end up using it more but all my plans went out the window when I ended up facing the Scimitar (which was of course WAY out of era). I won the scenario but that was as much luck as skill. Even so, we did pretty much manage to relive the entire scenario which was a lot of fun.

Note: effectively, Castille and Yar are an 8 point card which gives you a few turns of battlestations and then disables so it gives you battlestations at a discount. I like this combination and don't think it's too powerful given the combined 8 point cost. The Enterprise C's perk was very hard to use because rerolling the entire roll is a very hard decision each time. It would be better if you could choose either roll and even that is worse than a normal reroll. You can reroll defense rolls and that helped once and hurt me once. My opponent didn't let me renew my Picard Maneuver but I think given the problems the Feds have in this scenario, discards like that should be allowed to be renewed for the Romulan battle. That's up to the players. I like my photons better than normal ones, but they are also more expensive and I think they are costed well. My armor card is also great but since I didn't say otherwise my opponent insisted I take criticals on the armor so I will likely rewrite the card so that it works like regular armor (to not take criticals).

EDIT: Oh, here is my base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Montgomery
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I really like that you took the time to make these cards. Castillo is *ABSURDLY* overpowered for only 4 SP. You need to rethink his ability, or double his cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shephard415 wrote:
I really like that you took the time to make these cards. Castillo is *ABSURDLY* overpowered for only 4 SP. You need to rethink his ability, or double his cost.

First of all, thank for the feedback. I appreciate it and hope you will comment on further cards you think might be mispriced.

So, we also know that there isn't a consistent standard on what a given capability should cost in STAW but that is no excuse to not try to get it right when we create new cards. On the one hand, Beverly Crusher is essentially 1/3 of Castillo at 3 points kind of, though she also protects discards which is potentially a big deal. But I'd still rather have Castillo (and he can be a captain too). But I wouldn't set him at 3x3 or 9 points, that would be kind of ridiculous. Now in combination with Yar, he's a poor man's Picard (works only 3 times and then needs an enable) but he can enable other folks too (like Worf for instance).

I'd like to get some other opinions here but in the interest of trying to be conservative so that I'm just not creating overpowered cards so I can win, I'm leaning toward upping the points to 6 (which makes him the same cost as Picard).

If I was going to comment on my experiences, I'm a little disappointed with the C's perk in that it is really annoying to try to guess whether rolling ALL the dice is a good or a bad idea (unless you only have 1). People have told me that allowing a regular reroll is too powerful, especially as it can be offense or defense. I wonder though if it might be better (and easier to play) to allow the ship to reroll 2 dice offense or defense or something like that?

Rachel Garrett is my second generation of her talent. This talent has the potential to get her extra defense dice when in a joust type situation but does no good once the enemy is behind her. It could be though that I should limit her defense dice boost to 2 maximum? Poor Girl hardly got to use that talent (once in the Klingon game and then she got Thaleroned).

I'm thinking also of making the Ablative Armor deny crits except for crits that cause an extra damage point immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.