• [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At first I didn't even understand how the games could be compared, but now I get it: in both games you are placing bets on races that involve entities that are not the actual players.

Royal Turf has less going on perhaps- it is less meaty, but on the other hand it is definitely higher in fun factor and excitement (at least from what I've seen and experienced). I don't think you should expect Royal Turf to offer the same game experience as Manilla but I do think you would like Royal Turf as a more lighthearted game with a different feel but mechanistically in the same ballpark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb

Thanks for your reply. May add this one to my list.
The only complaint I have ever read about this game
is that the colors of a couple of the horses are
confusing.

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
bobm174 wrote:
the colors of a couple of the horses are confusing.

I have heard this also, but in all my playings of Royal Turf have never had this problem come up. You can see the colours here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
I have heard this also, but in all my playings of Royal Turf have never had this problem come up.

The problem is with Winner's Circle's horses. Actually, when looking at a photo, I have no problem telling the horse's colours apart, but during a game, trust me, it's easy to get mixed up. Not a deal-breaker, though. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yah, I'd say the Winner's Circle similarly colored horses are just close enough in color that I find myself needing to pause and think a second when working with them. But as Darryl said, it doesn't ruin the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here. Royal Turf gave me no problem at all with colors. Winner's Circle does. Still, love the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
booned wrote:
The problem is with Winner's Circle's horses.

In the words of Emily Litella:
Never mind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes the colours ARE confusing - plus, save your money and give this game a miss. I bought it without trying it after reading reviews on this website. Big mistake!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.