Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
He-Joon Kim
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought a copy of Ca$h 'n Gun$, almost positive that I'd love it. After paying the premium price tag and spending the effort in finding it (since it's nearly out of print), I finally have it in my hands.

I've played it four times now with two different groups and I can't say that I've enjoyed it all. It's always been with a group of six people and only the basic game.

The moment when you draw and point your foam guns at each other does have a certain thrill to it, but I find everything that comes after that very anticlimatic. Maybe I've been playing it too randomly (we haven't really been using much strategy other than going after the leader), or maybe there just isn't enough talking (we generally just point, assess who's pointing at who, then drop). Also sorting out who gets hit by who and splitting the money (and especially when it doesn't split) often just feels tedious to me (is there a smooth way to do this).

I still really want to like this game, and I get the impression that I'm just missing something here, but by the end of each game I just feel like moving onto something else like Bang! or Saboteur. Any suggestions to spice things up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've felt almost the same...but I am still hoping the advanced rules (which include the undercover cop) make things more interesting. Haven't come round to try those.
The superpowers add a little flavor, but not much more, is my impression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you've got to get into the spirit of it more to get the most out of it - you've got to do the trash talking, you've got to do ridiculous 'action movie' poses with the guns. Be more sneaky too - if eveyone always just points their guns at the person with the most money then yeah, I can see how that might get boring.

My group played this for the first time on the weekend and we thought it was absolutely brilliant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got openly ridiculed for my sideways "gangster" gun holding action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Tyson
United Kingdom
Toddington
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
I got openly ridiculed for my sideways "gangster" gun holding action.

Me toocry

But they got what was coming to them next round angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
We had one guy resorting to 'pistol whip' poses rather than the more traditional pointing of the gun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
If everyone else is shooting the leader, then you shoot someone else. That way there are 2 people out of the split
And yes, play the variants. When I teach new players, we only play 1 basic game before adding the extras.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He-Joon Kim
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips guys. Yeah, I think alot of it just has to do with the group. I play with alot of non-gamer crowds, so it's hard to get some people to just loosen up.

I'll give your suggestions a try and let you know if I have any revelations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Soares
Brazil
Brasília
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys need to loosen up a bit more... and watch gangster movies ! More trash talking and shouting !

There isn't anything more fun than trying to scare someone into chickening out... and rubbing that foam Beretta to their temple saying their time has come !

Might I suggest you get other friends ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamás Fekete
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about "hidden scoring"?

I mean all player's money should kept in secret, so it's rarely obvious, who is in the lead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was less than impressed with this too.
While I'm sure given the right circumstances it can be fun to play, the amount of money necessary to acquire the game is exhorbitant in comparison to a lot of other beer and pretzels type games.

The simple fact is the game is WAY overpriced. The fun to cost ratio is severely skewed. Get Lunch Money instead. Much less cost, same amount of fun if people do the roleplay/trash talking required to make either of these games fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.