BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: World of Warcraft or Descent? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] christmas [+] [View All]
Jared Moore
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
For Christmas, I can only get one $80 Dollar game. If it was your choice, which would you pick?

I gave Runebound a 8, although it's probably more of a 7 for me know. I also gave Return of The Heroes a 5. That has almost no replay value for me, and I just couldn't get into it.

I'm looking at World of Warcraft because of the amazing Character Development and the clever combat. Descent seems cool just because it reminds of old Rogue like games that I play often. I also like the idea of playing the Overlord.

So, what do you think is the best? Is there a best?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Moore
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Would you say WOW is an improvement over Runebound?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played all three, my own rating as to fun factor is:

1. Descent
2. WoW the boardgame
3. Runebound

Just got the new Descent expansion also, which adds a lot of new and fun stuff (new cards for the Overlord, new heroes, new monsters, new traps, etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW is like a team-based competitve racing game. Race to get your team strong enough to kill the boss before the other team does. This limits opposing teams interacting with each other which I don't like. It's true WOW has really nice character progression.

I like Descent better. Througout the game, all players are focused on one struggle. The heores whom are playng cooperatively against the OL who is trying to crush them.

Issues with Descent are:
one hit kill monsters suck for the OL
game tends to grind at the end as the OL backloads every mob hes got into the "last stand"
lack of personalization for the OL character <-- this is clearly adressed in the expansion

the expansion does seem to answer these criticisms somewhat but I need to play the original missions with the expansion bits to see about the backloading issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
one other thing is that Descent plays best with 3 heores and 1 OL. 4 heroes constrains OL monster spawns and 2 heroes get flooded with OL mobs early to midgame.
There are popular variants for those hero numbers though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OL == OverLord

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my analysis and breakdown of FF's big three fantasy offerings:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/11593

With the new WoW boardgame expansion out, I'd say get that and the boardgame from an online seller for about what you'd pay for the boardgame retail if you include shipping, if that's the game you decide to get.

Just remember, Descent is about tactics and board position, whereas WoW is about strategic dice pool management and character development, and I think the new expansion really adds a lot to the game, especially if you're only playing with 2 people and two characters each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Descent all the way. Descent is a big hit with my group (still waiting for the expansion to finally reach the UK!) but WOW was a definite dead duck. We just found it incredibly dull and it wasn't long before it got e-bayed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Aaargh! I'm glad I don't have to make this decision because it would kill me.
Both are excellent games. You can't go wrong with either.
On the one hand,..............................oh who am I kidding. I've got nothing constructive to add. Just flip a coin.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Smitskamp
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Demo_Boy wrote:
one other thing is that Descent plays best with 3 heores and 1 OL. 4 heroes constrains OL monster spawns and 2 heroes get flooded with OL mobs early to midgame.
There are popular variants for those hero numbers though.

I have played Descent about 15 times, and I disagree with this "number of hero problem". Yes, it is easier for the Overlord if there are less heroes, but there is variaton in the scenarios as well. Simply go for a fit (might take a little figuring out) for 3 or 4 heroes. If you have 2 hero players, give them both 2 heroes. I also found that almost any scenario unknown to the heroes can be played with 4 heroes just fine. I've won several games against 4 heroes as the overlord. I once played a game against 5 heroes. I (overlord) won, but it was a very chaotic game. I wouldn't recommend that

Oh, I forgot to answer your question.
I've never played WoW the boardgame, so i can't tell which one is better. Descent is well worth the money though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Potter
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tino wrote:

I have played Descent about 15 times, and I disagree with this "number of hero problem". Yes, it is easier for the Overlord if there are less heroes, but there is variaton in the scenarios as well. Simply go for a fit (might take a little figuring out) for 3 or 4 heroes.

Must not have had very good players. When I have played with 4-5 hero's, they scatter and make sure I can't spawn because of LOS rules. Not to mention that damn "blow up the room" ability. If one of the heros get that - the overlord is toast since there is no ramifications to dying when the rooms contain enough VP to offset a single heros death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leftfield
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hold out for starcraft?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
For what it's worth, I compare Runebound to WoW in:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/91316
The gist is not that it is better necessarily - just different. It's team vs. everyone for themselves. It's more complex (which is good and bad), the character development is more detailed. But they are a lot more similar to each other than Descent is.

To me, Descent has far more replay than WoW since it is scenario/quest based. There are 9 in the book, and more online. But it is a tactical combat game with very light character progression by getting better items, vs. WoW which is all about character progression (as is Runebound). So it depends on whether you'd like the tactical genre or not, or what to delve deeper into the character development games.

For me, it would be no question - Descent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Moore
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Despite everyone agreeing on Descent, I'm leaning towards World of Warcraft. Descent seems to have almost no Character Development, and WOW just sounds like so much fun. I love how you have to balance your actions. I'll probably get them both within the next year, but I'm leaning towards World of Warcraft. It seems to be exactly what I wanted in Runebound but din't find.

Jeremy, couldn't you use the variant at the end of the rule book? Yeah, it's not tactical but it seems to me PVP combat would be much shorter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think if character development is what you care about, then that's a good choice. And the new expansion about doubles the number of choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Wai-kit FUNG
Hong Kong
Mongkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, Runebound is an individual versus individual game. Descent is a team versus individual (Overlord) game. And WoW is a team versus team game.

Apart from difference between the competition modes, the character development is more significant in WoW. Its game flow aims at re-creating the feeling from online RPG where two factions of characters clear missions to increase the overall strength of their own factions. I dont think the endgame big dice-pool is an issue. The teams should try best to defeat their own ultimate boss in order to avoid the final direct team combat. The endgame combat is simply a way to break tie.

Descent is definitely a dungeon crawling game. Character ability improvements are done through the treasure acquisition. It creates an interesting good-vs-evil adventure gameplay. The only issue, which I enjoy but also dissatisfy, is the unrealistic location-less group treasure acquisition. Though I understand it attempts to maintain the progress of the game difficulty, it also makes heroes upgrading too dramatically. If... there is a logistic requirement in picking up the treasure individually, it sounds better to me and also adds a bit more tactical details.

As Descent and WoW are a bit different from the gaming experience, I cannot truely make good comparison. I would get both. But if you can only choose one, maybe you can decide which sort of competition modes you prefer to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Moore
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
MrSkeletor wrote:
Wired_Irony wrote:
Despite everyone agreeing on Descent, I'm leaning towards World of Warcraft. Descent seems to have almost no Character Development, and WOW just sounds like so much fun. I love how you have to balance your actions. I'll probably get them both within the next year, but I'm leaning towards World of Warcraft. It seems to be exactly what I wanted in Runebound but din't find.

Sounds like your heart is really set on Wow.
If that's the case, get that one otherwise you'll regret not getting it later on.

Maybe it is.

Maybe it's that way because I've been looking at it for awhile longer then Descent. I'll try to get both......but then there is the expansions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.