Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Son's elementary principle asked me to start a Games Club. Need some help. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As above. Very cool. And I'm completely out of my element for elementary grades - 4-7 mostly with maybe some super-keen grade 3s if they show up - Co-op Games. I looked through my shelf and it's pretty paltry pickings for co-op games. Yggdrasil is one of the few that I have and have also enjoyed playing and teaching but those OOP prices are staring me in the face and I'm not sure I want little buggers handling this prospector's cardboard gold.

Also, I've been given a smallish budget to buy some new games if I see fit.

So, anyone have any suggestions for good/fun/relatively quick co-op games for elementary kids?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The usual answer, for good reason, is Forbidden Island.

They would probably also dig Flash Point: Fire Rescue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanabi is on my want-to-play list. It is listed as 8 and up, and though I haven't played it, I recommend it because it is cheap-- around $10 in the U.S. if you don't get the deluxe edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miklos Fitch
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool, you should check out The Dice Tower's Board Game Blender video series as there is a segment from an educator that started a gaming group at her school. Could give you some tips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
United States
Southgate
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're shooting yourself in the foot if you're requiring only co-op games. First, it's not that big of a category in and of itself. Further limiting it to co-ops for ages 4-7 you've pretty much narrowed the field down to almost nothing.

Castle Panic and Forbidden Island have already been mentioned and they are probably the closest thing I can think of that would work. You'll still need to ride Alpha-gamer over the entire affair to help them through the whole game as they were not designed with this age group in mind.

I could come up with some more recommendations for good games for 4-7 year olds but none of them will be co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martins
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also asked to help run a board game club at my son's school. I run it twice per week over lunch, and we're now on week 4. Being over lunch, it limits my game selection to games that can be played in 30-40 mins. The teacher limited the initial size to 12 kids so, with the help of my son, we started with 2 games of 6 - King of Tokyo and Unnamed Object. It was of hit. I've since introduced a few more games (one at a time only when everyone was familiar with the prior games) and we now have 4 games going on concurrently with 4 players each.

Forbidden Island is definitely a good choice for an introductory co-op game. I plan to introduce it as the next game to the club.

Have fun!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gassyjoe wrote:
I think you're shooting yourself in the foot if you're requiring only co-op games.

Oh, co-op's not the only category, it's just the one that I have the least experience with. Also, these will be for grades 4-7 (so, ages 9-12).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gassyjoe wrote:
I think you're shooting yourself in the foot if you're requiring only co-op games. First, it's not that big of a category in and of itself. Further limiting it to co-ops for ages 4-7 you've pretty much narrowed the field down to almost nothing.

Castle Panic and Forbidden Island have already been mentioned and they are probably the closest thing I can think of that would work. You'll still need to ride Alpha-gamer over the entire affair to help them through the whole game as they were not designed with this age group in mind.

I could come up with some more recommendations for good games for 4-7 year olds but none of them will be co-op.

FWIW the OP mentioned grades 4-7, so 9-13 year olds.
ETA - Posted at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikemartins wrote:
I was also asked to help run a board game club at my son's school. I run it twice per week over lunch, and we're now on week 4. Being over lunch, it limits my game selection to games that can be played in 30-40 mins. The teacher limited the initial size to 12 kids so, with the help of my son, we started with 2 games of 6 - King of Tokyo and Unnamed Object. It was of hit. I've since introduced a few more games (one at a time only when everyone was familiar with the prior games) and we now have 4 games going on concurrently with 4 players each.

The time limit is part of the problem but nothing we can't solve and the principle suggested that we also limit the number and grade of kids who can initially attend; he suggested that only grades 6s and 7s be invited for at least the first week or two. This will also give us some 'helpers' for if/when we introduce some of the younger grades to the club.

We'll see what happens but I'm hopeful that the experience will be a positive one for the kids.

Interestingly, the grade 7 teacher approached me as well about the possibility of running a larger all-day team game of some kind. My mind exploded as I think that team Diplomacy may be a possibility but we'll talk some more and see if it fits with any curriculum that he's got going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Vasel always said Wits and Wagers team game is awesome at Conventions. I've never played it in teams but the concept sounds awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:
Tom Vasel always said Wits and Wagers team game is awesome at Conventions. I've never played it in teams but the concept sounds awesome.
I've played it at Gen Con. One of the more memorable moments of my convention-going career.

Pete (was at a table with a trash-talking braggart and a guy whose knowledge of the exact height of a Smurf bailed out the blowhard with a win)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lindelos wrote:
As above. Very cool. And I'm completely out of my element for elementary grades - 4-7 mostly with maybe some super-keen grade 3s if they show up - Co-op Games. I looked through my shelf and it's pretty paltry pickings for co-op games. Yggdrasil is one of the few that I have and have also enjoyed playing and teaching but those OOP prices are staring me in the face and I'm not sure I want little buggers handling this prospector's cardboard gold.

Also, I've been given a smallish budget to buy some new games if I see fit.

So, anyone have any suggestions for good/fun/relatively quick co-op games for elementary kids?
The key question here is, do the kids need to be able to play the games by themselves or will you be helping them out?

If you're helping, the suggestions offered here are good ones. If not, they may not be able to play any of the games listed, especially if their parents haven't trained them as gamers.

Pete (has a daughter that can play a lot of games, but she would struggle to play without him)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill August
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One Night Ultimate Werewolf is a huge hit and relatively cheap. You will need the free app. I take out The Drunk so there aren't any issues.

Incan Gold and King of Toyko are the other favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Campbell
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
plezercruz wrote:
[q="porkchop_tw"]
Pete (was at a table with a trash-talking braggart and a guy whose knowledge of the exact height of a Smurf bailed out the blowhard with a win)

3 apples high? laugh

+1 Castle Panic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SabataSmurf wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
[q="porkchop_tw"]

3 apples high? laugh

+1 Castle Panic
The answer was in fact 3!

Pete (cheers)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Several people suggested Castle Panic.

Stick by my statement above. Kids age 4-7 can play Castle Panic, but I have great reservations than any one of them can run the game. The adult in the room would probably have to advance all the monsters and execute the actions in order.

Pete (has a 6-and-a-half year old game-crazed daughter who might be able to run the game for others, but probably not)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
United States
Southgate
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lindelos wrote:
Also, these will be for grades 4-7 (so, ages 9-12).

Oops, read that as age 4-7 since you said elementary school (our elementary schools go up to 5th grade around here).

With the higher ages then the co-ops of Castle Panic, Forbidden Island, and would go fine. My 3rd grader plays them with us and could probably teach them to others if he needed so they are probably around the right difficulty level.

Some recommendations from my own collection that would work well but are not co-ops:

Straw - small little card game with basic math, our 8 year old likes it a lot.

Sushi Go! - basic card drafting game, also a favorite of our 8 year old.

Splendor - simple set collection game, easy to teach, easy to play.

Machi Koro - another one my son enjoys playing.

Nobody but Us Chickens - another small card game that is easy to teach and then let the kids go on their own.

Battle Sheep - abstract strategy game with a cute theme on it.

Ghost Blitz - very easy to teach (pretty much 2 rules) but still hard to master, good for kids and adults.

Catan: Junior - simplified version of Catan, good for ages around 9/10.

Roll For It! Deluxe Edition - simple dice rolling game that can play up to 8.

Labyrinth - 4 player puzzle/maze game

What the Food?! - I'm not a big fan of this game but my son loves it. Would be a good choice based on theme alone for kids group.

BraveRats - Another quick card game that my son enjoys, only 2 player though.

Some version of Love Letter, maybe Love Letter: Batman - quick card games are a good choice for this type of group so I'm gonna keep recommending them.

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age - Play up to 4, build a little civilization on paper.

Sorry! Sliders - Dexterity games are always good with kids, this one is really cheap and still fun (for kids).

Loot - A small card game about pirates and attacking merchant ships. We don't play this one as much anymore but was fun when we got it. Cheap price and the goofy artwork will be a hit with kids.

King of Tokyo - We have both this and King of New York. I think we like New York better but Tokyo would be a better choice for a group of new kids as it's easier to teach/learn. Tokyo will also be cheaper.

Walk the Plank! - A fun "take that!" card game that can play up to 5. Comes out a lot on family game nights.

Get Bit! - Another quick little game that we play a lot with the kids, play cards to try and not get eaten by the shark.

Tsuro - A simple tile laying game that works with all ages (we play it with our 5 year old and my 60+ year old in-laws).

Zombie Dice/Martian Dice - similar game play so either work. Press your luck dice rolling games, trying to collect brains in Zombie or "abduct" cows/chickens/people in Martian. Both cheap and both play up to whatever number you want.

Hey, That's My Fish! - Collect fish while trying to prevent your opponents from getting them. Cute and easy to learn.

Even with a small budget you can get a handful of the ones I've listed as most of my recommendations are between $10-$15.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gassyjoe wrote:
lindelos wrote:
Also, these will be for grades 4-7 (so, ages 9-12).

Oops, read that as age 4-7 since you said elementary school (our elementary schools go up to 5th grade around here).

Oh! So did I!!

Pete (retracts the last post)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm...

Principal - really. See #5 at the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
Umm...

Ah, a grammar nazi. What a complete waste of my time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
From your list, Dixit and Ticket to Ride would work. I can imagine Nexus Ops would be popular with some. Otherwise, King of Tokyo, Hanabi and Forbidden Island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Incan Gold. I just played this with my 3 yr old and 5 yr old, and the 3 yr old won.

+1 Forbidden Island
+1 King of Tokyo

If you are worried about cards/components getting destroyed, you can go for games that have no cardboard (besides the box):

Martian Dice
Quoridor
PitchCar

For educational value:
Geography (sort of): Ticket to Ride
Math: Stone Age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
lindelos wrote:
Ozludo wrote:
Umm...

No, someone who thought you'd appreciate the heads up, in case it caused embarrassment at the school. Thanks for calling me names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
Ozludo wrote:
lindelos wrote:
Ozludo wrote:
Umm...

No, someone who thought you'd appreciate the heads up, in case it caused embarrassment at the school. Thanks for calling me names.

Yeah. I agree with you. I think the OP exhibits kind of a pitiful attitude here, especially for someone who is asking other people to give up their time to help him. Personally my desire to help has dropped to zero.

If I make a mistake I like to be made aware so I can avoid this in future. I also know the difference between grammar and spelling and between correcting someone on the internet and murdering millions of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.