Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris O
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm debating whether to get into this game, but not sure what to expect in the future. Past Wave 2, the ships I can think to expect would be a Rebel Transport ship and an Imperial Interdictor, but other than those?

Of course it's wishful thinking to expect a Super Star Destroyer, but any ideas or expectations of what you'd like to see?

Also, anyone know when Wave 2 is supposed to be released? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd expect maybe a more specialized-- at a cost-- anti fighter ship. Like corellian gunships and lancers.

I don't know if they'll develop the carrier type ships a little more, that'd be cool.

Maybe something that had weak fighter defenses but could take a pounding-- dreadnoughts might be a good fit there.

Ships in some kind of support role would be cool, but I don't know how that will manifest itself in armada!

I dunno about the interdictor, it doesn't really serve a purpose at this game's scale. Maybe as some kind of objective you build into your own fleet-- worth more points alive or killed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think we're going to see an SSD at some point (but I'd expect it to take at least a year and be as expensive as the core set), Essentially in a similar epic format as we've seen in X-Wing.

Aside from that, I expect they'll dive into EU ships, as they have with X-Wing (actually in Wave 2, there's already a few EU ships and their self-created microSD).

Later on, who knows? Sooner or later we'll probably see a scum faction, who have their own SDs (That look nothing like the triangles of doom) and other cap-classes.

Apart from that, the Imperials (at least in the EU) have any number of SD types, and as far as Corellian ships go, they have this (moronic) principle of no standardization, so FFG could theoretically keep pumping out variations of their ships indefinitely (A bit boring, but who knows).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the Imperial SD has significant overlap of the large ship base, a Super SD would require a base size currently not in the game. I could see it as an Epic level ship which is not tourney legal, which I think would be appropriate.

Wave 2 will hopefully be new ships from Episode 7. Disney won't waste an opportunity for new merchandise.

After that we'll get some random EU ships. I'm okay with them stopping after the new movie material and I probably will. I'm building my collection not with tourney scene in mind, but a self contained board game. After the iconics I'll be very picky as to what gets added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And then the Death Star of course. Complete with its own out door storage shed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am kind of with you...so far i only like a few ships of the ships but then again that just means i wouldnt buy a lot..i think the game looks great but not sure how much i would play it..btw what about the torpedo sphere?..i would like to see the SSD and the interdicter too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimo
United Kingdom
Winchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite liked the ships from the PC game Empire at War. We could see some of them.
Tartan patrol ship
Marauder
Broadside
Acclamator SD
Corellian Gunship

There were a few Scum & Villainy type ships as well in the expansion. From memory, crusader and vengeance frigates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Polk
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Imperial Interdictor still canon after the big EU kill off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Knight
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hamlet23 wrote:

Nope. Wasn't in any movies. So unless it is in Episode 7, it's out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hamlet23 wrote:

I don't think FFG cares, the Scum ships in the latest Wave of X-Wing were all EU too (Well, except the Y-Wing obviously).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bowman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the Interictor ships are still canon, they are in the new book "Heir to the Jedi" (that is part of the new canon and happens between IV and V)that just released. One pulls Luke's ship out of hyperspace!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cucamel wrote:
Yes the Interictor ships are still canon, they are in the new book "Heir to the Jedi" (that is part of the new canon and happens between IV and V)that just released. One pulls Luke's ship out of hyperspace!
Good stuff will be used again and "re-canoned", bad stuff will continue to be ignored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ugh, guys, the EU isn't entirely wiped out. It's there if anyone wants to use it, and its Schrodinger's canon until it's mentioned. That said it doesn't mean those things will never appear.

If we get Interdictors, what would they do? There's no hyperspacing in this game. There is some thing to affect missiles (and it appears in that video), but practically how would this work in Armada?

Wave 2 is giving us Large ships, which is mentioned in the Rules Reference Guide. beyond this there is little guidence on what to expect out of Armada. SSDs (which is drawing a lot of controversy on FFG... too big for Armada?) is one direction but not necessary. Wave 3 after all could be more ships to populate out the fleet and give us alternate ships for each of the size classes. There's only one medium ship for each side after all, Wave 3 could give us a couple of more on top of maybe a couple of additional heavies. A Wave 3 fighter pack could be Defenders/Phatoms against E-Wings/Z-95s?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Thornton
Australia
Edgeworth
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the prequel ships? I didn't mind some of them.

*ducks for cover*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benzy311 wrote:

*ducks for cover*

I doubt ffg will do them seeing as clone wars is over and a new franchise is beginning.

But I'd buy a malevolent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benzy311 wrote:

*ducks for cover*

I'd totally buy a droid fleet, they had some cool ships. And the sleek SDs are neat too.

(You don't have to like the prequels to like the ships)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But they never made the prequels. I'm still waiting for a real movie to be released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
txaal wrote:
And then the Death Star of course. Complete with its own out door storage shed.

I think you mean AS the outdoor storage shed for all of your other stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tranenturm wrote:
But they never made the prequels. I'm still waiting for a real movie to be released.

I'm going by those 3 fan films they released a while ago, you know, the one where they did really nice work in the space battles, but they had to do all the parts that needed actors with wooden puppets for budget reasons, and the director let his ten year old braindamaged nephew write parts of the script for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Norsehound wrote:
ugh, guys, the EU isn't entirely wiped out. It's there if anyone wants to use it, and its Schrodinger's canon until it's mentioned. That said it doesn't mean those things will never appear.

If we get Interdictors, what would they do? There's no hyperspacing in this game. There is some thing to affect missiles (and it appears in that video), but practically how would this work in Armada?

Wave 2 is giving us Large ships, which is mentioned in the Rules Reference Guide. beyond this there is little guidence on what to expect out of Armada. SSDs (which is drawing a lot of controversy on FFG... too big for Armada?) is one direction but not necessary. Wave 3 after all could be more ships to populate out the fleet and give us alternate ships for each of the size classes. There's only one medium ship for each side after all, Wave 3 could give us a couple of more on top of maybe a couple of additional heavies. A Wave 3 fighter pack could be Defenders/Phatoms against E-Wings/Z-95s?

To nitpick: There is a very specific hyperspace jump in this game. But it is one of the objectives and only allows for something like one ship and three squadrons. So, not significant enough to warrant a ship to counter it.

I think the game design is begging for a Lancer frigate. Something with 1 blue anti-capital firing arcs and a 2-3 red die anti squadron armament. The ship should also have have a 4 speed as it was supposed to be able to keep up with or outpace fighters. Just like in EU, it would be too squishy to stand up in a capital ship fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, thinking more on it, I could see an Interdictor, the way I'd imagine it would basically be like a weaker Vic (but perhaps more expensive), but coming with a set of objective cards you could only use with an Interdictor in your fleet that would allow you to seriously mess with the Rebellion's set-up (or get some buffs for your own set-up, depending on which one it is), and probably one or two titles and perhaps a unique upgrade type that would allow you to do interdictor-y stuff.

I mean, no idea if they'll do something like that, but I could see it working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
Actually, thinking more on it, I could see an Interdictor, the way I'd imagine it would basically be like a weaker Vic (but perhaps more expensive), but coming with a set of objective cards you could only use with an Interdictor in your fleet that would allow you to seriously mess with the Rebellion's set-up (or get some buffs for your own set-up, depending on which one it is), and probably one or two titles and perhaps a unique upgrade type that would allow you to do interdictor-y stuff.

I mean, no idea if they'll do something like that, but I could see it working.

Yeah, that's an interesting idea for a direction the game could take!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Garmon
United States
Panama City
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of the massive bulk and relative slow speed of a SSD, they could simulate one by just giving an overlay that you place overtop of the deployment zone. Built in arcs, etc, but stays stationary for purposes of the game. It would be silly IMO, as it would literally take an armada to take one down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there/will there be Y-wings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
essayons7 wrote:
Are there/will there be Y-wings?

the rebel fighter pack comes out in wave one in a month or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.