Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: myFavs [+] [View All]
John Kang
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After watching numerous walk-throughs of the game and reviews, I decided to purchase this game because of its fairly simple rules and shorter play-time. I tore into the box while my kids and wife looked on. I realized that with the little ones (ages 4 and 2) that playing this game would test their patience, thus I decided to play this in the evening after the kids had gone to bed.

I tried to have my wife read the rules, but she suggested that I just teach her as we played. The first few rounds of play I forgot to mention that if you cannot follow a role you can dissent and gather another card, but this did not screw us up too much. One thing we did do for this game to simplify it a bit was to not purchase technologies. I think the technologies are really interesting, but for a first game my wife wanted to keep it simple.

After about 4 or so round we started really picking up steam. She went heavy in warfare and then colonization. I went heavy colonization and then production/trade (using the Research action to burn some of my excess colony and survey cards). The game ended when we ran out of production/trade cards. We tallied up the score and I had 25 points and my wife had 24! Wow, what a close game!

I'm very happy that this game could be taught while playing rather than sitting through a very long rules review (a big turn-off for my wife). I think we both like games with mostly simple rules. She really likes games where she does not have to read all of the cards (hence Dominion can be hard to get on the table with her which is another deckbuilder game we one). Overall a great first play-through and hopefully the next time we can play with the technologies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Boyd
United Kingdom
Newtownards
County Down
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John, this is a great writeup. I'm sitting here thinking I might try and teach this to my wife tonight when the kids are in bed. You've given me hope!

Saying that, I was hesitant about teaching her Roll for the Galaxy, but she picked it up very quickly and enjoys it a lot now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Millard
United States
Hastings
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Johnkangw wrote:
I tried to have my wife read the rules, but she suggested that I just teach her as we played. The first few rounds of play I forgot to mention that if you cannot follow a role you can dissent and gather another card, but this did not screw us up too much. One thing we did do for this game to simplify it a bit was to not purchase technologies. I think the technologies are really interesting, but for a first game my wife wanted to keep it simple.

After about 4 or so round we started really picking up steam. She went heavy in warfare and then colonization. I went heavy colonization and then production/trade (using the Research action to burn some of my excess colony and survey cards). The game ended when we ran out of production/trade cards. We tallied up the score and I had 25 points and my wife had 24! Wow, what a close game!

I think you did the right thing here. A friend just purchased the game and we sat down to play together. After trying to read the rules, we thought we'd better just dive in, and also left off with the research rules (just playing the simplified game as suggested in the rules).

Our experience was very much the same. By turn 3 or 4, everything just "clicked", and we were comfortable. I feel that the combination role selection/deckbuilding aspect makes things a little confusing at first, but once it sets in, the system is very intuitive!

I thought the game was very simplistic and am worried about its replayability - but we played the most basic game possible. No research, no expansions, and only with two players. I've read that this game is more interesting with 3 or 4 players, and I think there'd be less toe-to-toe scoring in a bigger game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Melo
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about to embark on the same thing of playing for the 1st time with the wife. I'll probably skip research as well, and that is the feature that most worries me going forward.

The reason for that is, unlike other deckbuilders where you only need to consider the cards on the top of the decks for purchase (so you can learn them as they're drawn) in ED you really need to take into account all of them because you can buy ANY of them at any time. This is going to make introducing that feature a pain, I imagine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Callegari
Switzerland
flag msg tools
You can ease your way into Research somewhat by including only tier 1 technologies at first (i.e., the "Improved" actions). This way, the learning curve is less steep.

Also, if you're not familiar with all the technology cards (I still don't remember all of them out of the top of my head), you can simply decide to go with the tech tree of your starting planet by default; this will also make things easier for each player, at least until they get to know the tech cards better.

EDIT: also remember that each planet type is associated with two roles, with consequences on which symbols are on the corresponding tech cards, and which improved actions are available for that type! This can also help in getting familiar with how Research works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.