Subject: Balance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Shipp

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mb
I played my first game today. Overall it was fun. I was wondering what people thought about balance among the base characters. Some seemed much more powerful then others. If you had to rate on a 10 scale which ones would be 10's and which ones would be 1's?

Also I printed off the abilities for all the promo characters are they balanced? How would you rate them? I am trying to figure out when we play next if I should stick with just the base ones or mix and match some others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainking82 wrote:
I played my first game today. Overall it was fun. I was wondering what people thought about balance among the base characters. Some seemed much more powerful then others. If you had to rate on a 10 scale which ones would be 10's and which ones would be 1's?

Also I printed off the abilities for all the promo characters are they balanced? How would you rate them? I am trying to figure out when we play next if I should stick with just the base ones or mix and match some others.

It's generally accepted that Seth and Spike are marginally better than the others, maybe 10's to all the others as 9's. There's a few lower rated ones in the promos. As the game progresses however the differences matter less since gear far outweighs character abilitis.

It's also not the sort of game where 100% balance matters. If you create yourself and ultimate killing machine, he is going to get ganged up on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osku Odi
msg tools
I'd say the base set is quite balanced. But I agree that if Seth and Spike are in the same guild, it might be painfull for the other players. Even though actually in the couple first missions, Spike is quite easy to kill, but a lot easier if you have Seth. Later on in the game killing attacking Spike with another Hero is just stupid, unless you have the proper gear or a plan. Depending on your heroes, the most expensive equipment might not even be the best idea, experiment with combos.

But overall the game is quite balanced with the base set, and we've had wins with just about every cahracter combo. Usually the players who dont achieve quests, have been doing something wrong, only sometimes it's actually the dice (even though according to them, it's always the dice)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played through the game completely 5-6 times and we still haven't included the Kickstarter characters yet. Honestly, we're still having a blast with just the base characters and are still discovering new combos, etc.

I think they're quite balanced, though everyone has their favorites. Honestly, the equipment you put on a character can have more of an impact than a characters natural ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kelsch
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The balance is such rock-paper-scissors that even when spike and seth run amuck, you can do something about it with items designed to take them out.

And remember, give someone enough death curses and even the best character sucks.

Another fun way to play is 'all-diva'. Then you can't blame broken characters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nkelsch wrote:
The balance is such rock-paper-scissors that even when spike and seth run amuck, you can do something about it with items designed to take them out.

And remember, give someone enough death curses and even the best character sucks.

Another fun way to play is 'all-diva'. Then you can't blame broken characters!

shake
You only keep one death curse, the one with the highest value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirlitho -
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my playteam we think Wisp is too powerful.
As most of the maps prevent players from moving to the quests it helps a lot its guild to complete each scenario and get a lot of exploration tokens. And that's not easy to gang up on him as he can slip between monsters.

We are considering changing it's ability (move only 2 squares instead of 3 as he should move slowly, only 1 monster can be ignored as he must focus...).

Then we think Hobsbawm and Battle cry are too powerful.
Playing two heroes instead of one, especially when the second one is also powerful can break the game balance.

We are considering changing those abilities (second hero can move or fight instead, ability is exhausted after use ...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.