Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Hayashida
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I realized how hard it is to teach this game after trying to teach my girlfriend.

I wrote up five pages of notes with examples, and I still think we only got through half of the concepts when we were playing.

* "Cover" never really came up - basically, it was "You don't have metal works, so that metal doesn't score points." I haven't run into the case where you had metal works, but not enough...

* It was hard enough to teach assistants, let alone "cover" on the left hand side of the board. When you're teaching, you really have to monitor that the other player(s) don't forget about the bonus from assistants.

* We can't figure out what cards were good. Sometimes, it was just a matter of not understanding the card. Other times, we understood what the card effect was, but we honestly had no idea which one was better.

I think it was BRICK - "When you SMITH, treat all tasks as if they were in your hand to use as support" or FIGURINE - "Before using each opponent's task, you may reveal a matching card from your hand to gain one extra action for that task". I don't think either effect came into play.

* I was concentrating on getting materials into my Workplace, but crafting ended up being a lot harder than SMITH (at least for 1 and 2-point cards).

I'm going to print out the v0.83 rules and hopefully get some more games in tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like most of his other games, it seems that the first play is not the one that is most enjoyable.

Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's just starting to fit into my brain after 3 games (I've never played Glory to Rome), and I think I'll feel like I'm still learning for many many more games to come. But I think that's no bad thing - it took me a while to feel comfortable playing Race for the Galaxy, but now I'm 76 plays in and still really loving it.

Thankfully it's pretty fast to play, so it shouldn't take too long to rattle through enough games for it to fully click.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raue
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teaching what each action does isn't difficult, it's the motivations behind them that are hard. It takes at least a few games to realize how to effectively utilize them.

Here are some tips I give new players

* Whatever task you played last turn will be on the floor your next turn. For example, play a Smith, then next turn play a Potter to take the Metal into your workplace.
* To most effectively use craft you only need 1 Cloth/Stone or 2 Clay/Metal in your Workplace. Sell the rest whenever possible.
* Sales majorities are important as they can generate over a third of your points from cards in your hand. Whenever possible try to cover those sales as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hayashida
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zazery wrote:
Teaching what each action does isn't difficult, it's the motivations behind them that are hard. It takes at least a few games to realize how to effectively utilize them.

Depends on the audience. I knew my girlfriend was at the "what does each action do?" level. Strategy might be when I teach other players to play.

zazery wrote:
Here are some tips I give new players
* Whatever task you played last turn will be on the floor your next turn. For example, play a Smith, then next turn play a Potter to take the Metal into your workplace.

Figured that one out. Didn't share it yet, since we were still wrapping our heads around which task to pick...

zazery wrote:

* To most effectively use craft you only need 1 Cloth/Stone or 2 Clay/Metal in your Workplace. Sell the rest whenever possible.

I did point this out, but it was sort of met with a confused look. Still working on SMITH vs. CRAFT.

zazery wrote:

* Sales majorities are important as they can generate over a third of your points from cards in your hand. Whenever possible try to cover those sales as well.

I totally agree, but our games didn't even get to the "cover" mechanic. It was simply "Your Sales won't score points until you have a metal work." It seems like the only time it might happen is if you have a bunch of paper in Sales, and then only build one paper work. So far, though, it hasn't happened. We've just been aiming for more expensive cards...

Thanks for the pointers, though. Maybe after she's more comfortable, or after my more competitive friends want to play...

EDIT: Gave up on unordered lists...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raue
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people have a hard time learning what actions do because they don't understand why they are important. I found by explaining some of the motivations it made it a tiny bit easier to learn.

Cover in my experience is where I lose most people when I teach the game. For a learning game I might even suggest playing with a subset of the rules such as no cover (only scoring points for sales majorities and not sales).

I was surprised to learn BGG doesn't support lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.