9 Posts

Harbour» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dummy / quarry rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
If the dummy player lands on the quarry, "plus one stone for each anchor" and it's stone is already on 6 crates. What does it do? Does it gain one of each other good because it cannot perform that action? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
Stevieram wrote:
If the dummy player lands on the quarry, "plus one stone for each anchor" and it's stone is already on 6 crates. What does it do? Does it gain one of each other good because it cannot perform that action? Thanks.

No... the training Dummy would collect stone, and being full of stone, he would not get to keep it.
So the dummy only executes its backstop action if it cannot perform the action (typically it would be missing some requirement needed to do the action) rather than when performing the action produces no benefit or is otherwise a stupid thing to do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
Stevieram wrote:

No... the training Dummy would collect stone, and being full of stone, he would not get to keep it.
So the dummy only executes its backstop action if it cannot perform the action (typically it would be missing some requirement needed to do the action) rather than when performing the action produces no benefit or is otherwise a stupid thing to do?

Debate! Actually if the dummy cannot execute an action at all it defaults to one of each. If it can partially complete an action (i.e. if it had 5 stone it would move to 6) then it does. There are definitely some uncertain cases with the dummy, but I find it is too easy if you are conservative with its default actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
Stevieram wrote:

Debate! Actually if the dummy cannot execute an action at all it defaults to one of each. If it can partially complete an action (i.e. if it had 5 stone it would move to 6) then it does. There are definitely some uncertain cases with the dummy, but I find it is too easy if you are conservative with its default actions.
So in what manner are you disagreeing with my statement? 'Cos we're in severe risk of being in violent agreement here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
Stevieram wrote:

So in what manner are you disagreeing with my statement? 'Cos we're in severe risk of being in violent agreement here.

If the dummy is at 6 stone (as in OP) it would use its default action, if it is at 5 stone, it would gain one stone instead of defaulting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
Stevieram wrote:

I suggest that you read the publisher's post just above mine

If the dummy is at 6 stone (as in OP) it would use its default action, if it is at 5 stone, it would gain one stone instead of defaulting.
Aha! Gotcha. I checked the text of the card (always better than speculation ), which says "unless it has 6 of everything it would gain". So being at 6 is a blocker to normal action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's quite a bit of discussion on this thread as to what the dummy does on edge cases and having 6 stone at the quarry is definitely one of the straight forward conclusions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Griffin
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
Stevieram wrote:

I suggest that you read the publisher's post just above mine

Aha! Gotcha. I checked the text of the card (always better than speculation ), which says "unless it has 6 of everything it would gain". So being at 6 is a blocker to normal action.

Although if it had 6 of everything it ought to go back to it's starting card and buy a building, which it is supposed to do whenever able. Also, there is nothing to say that the dummy can't do something stupid - I believe it says something to that effect on the card. If, for example, the dummy lands on a card that converts a high value resource (given the market's current position) into a lower value one, it would still do it. I think this balances the advantage that comes from gaining 1 of each type whenever it can't perform an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.