BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming Photography

Subject: camera rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that post pictures, what type of camera do you recommend (brand, megapixels, etc)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, the camera itself is not that important. It's the lighting, composition and skills that allows you to take good photos. If you're planning to shoot photos in poor or artificial light, choose a camera that has a decent white balance under such circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
See above.

Almost any camera will do when you use it with skill. Almost none do when you don't know what you're doing and have no intention of learning. Take a lot of pictures, try everything (composition, angle, distance, lighting, aperture) to see which works, delete all even slightly unsuccessful shots, give yourself feedback.

(I have used a video camera with 8Mpix still pictures quite successfully.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
char(filter(1,[1 -1],[66 5 0 -39 82 -3 -12 8 8 -82]))
mbmbmbmbmb
The default resolution on BGG for photos is the "medium" size, which seems to always have one dimension as 500 pixels. So the largest most people will see your photo at is around 500x375, which less than 0.2 megapixels. So the MP count on the camera really isn't relevant if your goal is to post here, but was is important is exactly what was stated above: composition, lighting, the exposure triangle, and knowing how to work the settings on your camera to mix those well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go with a DSLR, and model brand is not super important. The lens is where the you get the best results.

I would suggest a good 35-50mm lens with no higher than a 1.8(1.4 is even better in low lighting) f stop.

I would also suggest especially for game shots a very good macro lens with a magnification ratio of 1:1. F stop isn't as important here than the mag ratio. With proper lighting you can make great shots, a 2.8 would still give you great field.

I use a vivitar 55mm f2.8 1:1 macro lens and this lens is great for those nice close up shots. And is super cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I love dpreview for camera and lens reviews, and they have lovely buying guides for various categories. It's probably best to look at their best cameras for beginners if you don't have specific needs yet.

There's various tradeoffs in terms of quality, flexibility, size, weight, price, etc. between different systems - do you want to have one camera that serves all your needs? Do you want an interchangeable lens system with its greater flexibility but also greater cost? Do you want something you can carry around all the time, or do you want a heavy camera with awesome image quality? How much do you plan to spend? What requirements do you have apart from posting images on BGG?

You might have been impressed in the past by the great photos of zombiegod. Case in point: He uses a "crappy" point-and-shoot, over 10 years old, with 3.3 Megapixels, and boatloads of skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as others have mentioned when you are taking images that are going to be online the size of the files and all that jazz really don't matter. Megapixels are really only a huge concern if you are planning on blowing your images up to print. It really is all about the lighting and the actual artistry of the pictures. With the right conditions you could use an iphone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadstorm wrote:
For those that post pictures, what type of camera do you recommend (brand, megapixels, etc)?

It really depends on what kind of pictures you want.

A point and shoot type of digital camera will have a small lens and hence everything will tend to be in focus.

A DSLR will give you more lens options and be able to take pictures in lower light levels, and with different depths of focus.

For either you might need a tripod with low light. (My shaky hands require one now unless in bright light.)

In general a direct flash doesn't work well with game stuff since it creates glare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the insight. Now, to go look for a camera.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Siewert
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
For either you might need a tripod with low light. (My shaky hands require one now unless in bright light.)

I would say: "Use a tripod!" instead of "you might need"... cool
Good point!
Often additional equipment will do the job - not the camera.

As stated above: it will depend on your skills, not on the gear which will be only the tool.

In addition ask yourself following questions before buying:

*For what will you use the Camera?
*Only for taking gaming shots?
*For holiday trips and outdoor?
*For indoor photography, people, kids?
*Will you shot loads of pics or will you use it only sometimes?
*What about your budget?
*What camera and/or additional equipment do you already own? Can and will you further use that?

Last but not least:
What are your skills on using software (and which one) for editing photos?
This will be a point because pictures out of an expensive DSLR will often need postprocessing.
Some economically priced point-and-shot cameras will not!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carabor wrote:

In addition ask yourself following questions before buying:

*For what will you use the Camera?
*Only for taking gaming shots?
*For holiday trips and outdoor?
*For indoor photography, people, kids?
*Will you shot loads of pics or will you use it only sometimes?
*What about your budget?
*What camera and/or additional equipment do you already own? Can and will you further use that?

Last but not least:
What are your skills on using software (and which one) for editing photos?
This will be a point because pictures out of an expensive DSLR will often need postprocessing.
Some economically priced point-and-shot cameras will not!

As implied by posting here, it will be at least partially for gaming shots, but I would also like to get other use out of it, not that my work schedule leaves me much time for the other things. I don't want to spend a lot of money, just for some thumbs & GG, but I would like to post some pictures here. I don't really do well with software so I want something that will just let me take some decent pictures that don't need manipulation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
(Today you can take decent photos with an cellphone for this use more or less but a point and shoot is what you should get.)

If you understand some basics of photography, brand and megapixels are not so important.

However stability is always a hard part, espacally as lighting is not always the best where we shoot photos.

But again learning basic composition and exposure ideas with a non DSLR is much better then investing in a high-end camera directly if it is something you have a need for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Siewert
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadstorm wrote:
As implied by posting here, it will be at least partially for gaming shots, but I would also like to get other use out of it, not that my work schedule leaves me much time for the other things. I don't want to spend a lot of money, just for some thumbs & GG, but I would like to post some pictures here. I don't really do well with software so I want something that will just let me take some decent pictures that don't need manipulation.

So, in my opinion, you're talking about a point-and-shot camera. That in mind will you allow to limit cameras (types) you will look for.
You don't need a DSLR or so called (expensive) Bridge-Cameras. Don't look for them.

For example my second camera (in addition to DSLR) is an "Olympus XZ-1" which i use for "simple" shots.
This model and comparing models (from Canon Powershot Series, Nikon, or Fuji) will be, imho, the absolut maximum of camera you'll need. Regarding to functions, size and what you will do with.
You can easy pick a cheaper line of models.

You don't need to spend much money - but take not the cheapest.

Look for a model of well-known brands and a useful hint:

Take the stuff into your hands and try haptics and feeling. Test it wether it works for you. All those cameras provide what you'll need, so get the one you feel good with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From your post, not wanting to spend much (define much?) I agree with the above, a point and shoot will do you.

That said, any entry level DLSR will do well enough for board game photos. You can control the light, so noise levels at higher ISO are not critical (less so if magnification, such as macro lenses are employed, the more frame you fill with the subject, the less noise matters). You are posting to the internet, so overall resolution is not critical. Your subject is static, so AF performance is not even relevant (I tend to manually focus macro, when I do it, more control, even then I MF birds when I am on a tripod, again, control).

I don't shoot games, but really any controlled environment shooting is in the hands of the photog, not the specs of the camera. This is actually true for any situation, but certain tools make certain things easier, AF perforamnce for birds in flight for example (or moving, or anything you need to be quick about). For the types of photos around here, an entry level dslr w/ kit is more than adequate, more than most people ever use really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.