Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded the rules from the web once, and tried numerous times to play solitaire. I couldn't get the game to work - I was always able to move a linebacker (or defensive player) three spaces and sack the quarterback or tackle the running back behind the line. It never worked.

Was I doing something wrong, or is the game just broken?

In my never ending search for a playable, man-to-man football game, I had high hopes for this one. But after a few unsuccessful attempts to play it I abandoned my search for copy on eBay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kowalczyk
United States
Somonauk
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Anyone every played this successfully?
My friends and I had a blast with this game when we were young but I can't remember at all how it was played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Skulley
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Ted, I recall enjoying it quite a bit but don't remember why for certain Seems to me a shotgun snap with a slant pass worked pretty well (actually, probably just about any slant pass could work well, I suppose). Haven't played in years (although I'm sure willing)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It always seems to come down to a lone defender chasing the ball carrier, with everyone else "checkered" and out of the play. I don't remember too many tackles right off the snap -- mostly it was about racing to the edge and trying to get around the corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried racing around the end as well. If I recall correctly, you have three actions to assign to players. You can give one player three actions (move three spaces, essentially), or split the three between two or three players. Every time my running back or QB tried to get around the end, and a hole opened up in the line or on the edge of the line, I was able to rush a LB in there three spaces to tackle the ball carrier on or behind the line.

I'll give it a try again.

Any ideas to make the game better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that you can only move over a player when one of your "blockers" is on top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It makes me feel so fine I can't control my brain
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In my never ending search for a playable, man-to-man football game, I had high hopes for this one.

Scrimmage by SPI would fit that criteria. Not fantastic but: man-to-man, linebackers perform differently than DB's etc., substitute a DB for a linebacker for a nickle package...great coaches game, if somewhat detailed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Henderson
Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Have you guys tried Goal Line Stand? My experience with it is limited, but I consider it a playable man-to-man game of American football. PM me if you're interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leritte
Ukraine
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Believe it or not, I found the best defense was an 11 man line. The offense had to set up in a shotgun. I must have played this dozens of times, and there was no way we could set up a normal defense, and any other than a shotgun offense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d peruzzini
United States
cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
i know you cant just jump over other pieces, you must place your pieces on top of your opponents and then you may move another one of yours over the "capped" piece. so unless the offense leaves a hole in its offensive line there is no way to get to the rb or qb on the first turn if the offense planned correctly.

we used to have slight what are now called variants to this game. we made them up way back then, we had cards that had maybe 3 offensive sets and 3 defensive sets that you picked before hand and you had to set up that way. then for passing we rolled i think one die, maybe it was 2, i'd have to ask if anyone remembers 35 years ago. depending on the number of spaces the player was from the qb we applied a percentage on the die. something like up to 4 spaces on a roll of 1-5 the pass was complete. 4 spaces 6 spaces roll of 1-4, 8 spaces 1-3 complete. i remembr we hada break tacle rule too where if someone tackled you could roll the die and 1-2 i think was no change, 3,4 fumble, 5,6 break tackle and keep going or something like that. again these are from memories from 35 years ago but it made it fun i remember. if i'm right we even picked nfl teams and tried to fit the game to that team, an all star fast rb could move an extra space if he had the ball once per turn, the all pro qb had better dice odds etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davit Mamatsashvili-Rukhkyan
Georgia
Tbilisi
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry my friend, I just wanted to ask you where did you downoloaded the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
violent wrote:
Sorry my friend, I just wanted to ask you where did you downoloaded the rules?

Me too! This is only the THIRD football game I've found that actually uses players on the field, so I'm very interested in how it works!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.