Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
We won the only one that REALLY matters...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, who played Singularity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
It is much longer than usual to get the contest out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Perhaps given the various strong-arm tactics employed in the Netrunner/Power Grid battle, they're taking longer than usual to make sure they can weed out any dummy accounts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
BTW, If anyone was wondering the mentality we're up against every round, check this out from the Power Grid forums:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1342639/geek-madness-2015

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Morris
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wedgeex wrote:
BTW, If anyone was wondering the mentality we're up against every round, check this out from the Power Grid forums:

Wow. It's a shame Netrunner isn't a "real" boardgame. Maybe we should all just start playing Uno instead because, you know, that's totally comparable somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Osborn
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
wedgeex wrote:

Wow, someone should bring some salt mining equipment over there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakodrako wrote:
wedgeex wrote:

Wow. It's a shame Netrunner isn't a "real" boardgame. Maybe we should all just start playing Uno instead because, you know, that's totally comparable somehow.

While the use of the word "real" was unnecessarily inflammatory, I think they have a valid argument there. As a LCG, Netrunner lends itself to creating and sustaining active online communities to a much greater degree than a more traditional game like Power Grid. There's always a lot of users hanging around hungry for news about upcoming packs, submitting and answering rules clarification and discussing new strategies. When a competition like Geek Madness rolls around, Netrunner has a clear advantage over "static" games in being able to get users to the polls, simply by naturally having players that are more likely to participate in online communities as part of their enjoyment of the game. That advantage comes from Netrunner's LCG structure, not from the quality of the game itself. Netrunner owes its popularity to its quality, but the fact remains that an equally well designed game made in a more traditional style would not have large external communities to draw upon.

More than anything, I think this serves to show the limitations of the Geek Madness system as a means of determining "top boardgame", rather than anything wrong with how the Netrunner community participates, but I can certainly understand why supporters of other games would find the situation frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wasyl Kurek
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mb
sunergy wrote:
jakodrako wrote:
wedgeex wrote:

While the use of the word "real" was unnecessarily inflammatory, I think they have a valid argument there. As a LCG, Netrunner lends itself to creating and sustaining active online communities to a much greater degree than a more traditional game like Power Grid. There's always a lot of users hanging around hungry for news about upcoming packs, submitting and answering rules clarification and discussing new strategies. When a competition like Geek Madness rolls around, Netrunner has a clear advantage over "static" games in being able to get users to the polls, simply by naturally having players that are more likely to participate in online communities as part of their enjoyment of the game. That advantage comes from Netrunner's LCG structure, not from the quality of the game itself. Netrunner owes its popularity to its quality, but the fact remains that an equally well designed game made in a more traditional style would not have large external communities to draw upon.

More than anything, I think this serves to show the limitations of the Geek Madness system as a means of determining "top boardgame", rather than anything wrong with how the Netrunner community participates, but I can certainly understand why supporters of other games would find the situation frustrating.

Yeah but, you see, it's all in the language. The "Frowny Eurodudes" could have said something similar to your statement and that would probably start an interesting and constructive discussion. They decided to insult the players and send spam while simultaneously putting themselves on the moral high ground.

And it's not even that what rubs the wrong way. It's this idiotic, elitist sentiment that Netrunner isn't a board game. Hanabi is, Netrunner isn't. Because you can buy expansion packs. So what if you can ignore expansions if you want to just play this game with your friends and will never go to a single tournament in your life? Nobody cares about this argument, datapacks exist, therefore Netrunner is a money sink, not a game, QED.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
I dropped my salt meter reader over there and it went:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
HaasBioroid wrote:
3 days, and no round 4.

Unfortunately, given the impact of what was going on, it pushed it out of the window that I had to get the next round going. I try to set up the schedule each March for when I know I am going to be around and won't have schedule conflicts. Friday & Saturday were planned gaming sessions so when it took longer to get things sorted, it got out of rhythm. House of illness on top of that and I am not sure when I can get it going again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Osborn
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
HaasBioroid wrote:
3 days, and no round 4.

Unfortunately, given the impact of what was going on, it pushed it out of the window that I had to get the next round going. I try to set up the schedule each March for when I know I am going to be around and won't have schedule conflicts. Friday & Saturday were planned gaming sessions so when it took longer to get things sorted, it got out of rhythm. House of illness on top of that and I am not sure when I can get it going again.

So......yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Bertolini
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sunergy wrote:

(emphasis mine)

You're totally right, and that's an interesting argument. It boils down to the conclusion that the Geek Madness is a competition of popularity, not quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A voting contest will always be a game of popularity among those who are able to vote. It could never have been about quality.

That doesn't mean that the quality cannot be incidental, though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alsciende wrote:
sunergy wrote:

(emphasis mine)

You're totally right, and that's an interesting argument. It boils down to the conclusion that the Geek Madness is a competition of popularity, not quality.

I didn't think the explanation could be it's sales model since Netrunner isn't the only successful game of its type and yet is the only LCG/CCG in the competition (not counting the preliminary round). To be sure, I checked GTS Distribution's list of top sellers (the only such list I've seen). It turns out, however, that the only other LCG/CCG on it is Warhammer: Conquest, and Netrunner beat it by several places. Strange, I could've sworn hearing that GoT sold way better and that Netrunner was only doing so-so, but maybe that was years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
HaasBioroid wrote:
3 days, and no round 4.

Thank you for running a fun competition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
HaasBioroid wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
HaasBioroid wrote:
3 days, and no round 4.

So......yes.

Option 1 was delay.

Option 2 was disqualify everyone with shill votes - which was all 16 games. Game over.

Option 3 was to disqualify any game with 2 or more shill votes - which was 14 games - and advance to the Championship the remaining two: Hanabi and Eclipse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Osborn
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
HaasBioroid wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
HaasBioroid wrote:
3 days, and no round 4.

So......yes.

Option 1 was delay.

Option 2 was disqualify everyone with shill votes - which was all 16 games. Game over.

Option 3 was to disqualify any game with 2 or more shill votes - which was 14 games - and advance to the Championship the remaining two: Hanabi and Eclipse.

Heh option 3 would of been amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clevider wrote:
I didn't think the explanation could be it's sales model since Netrunner isn't the only successful game of its type and yet is the only LCG/CCG in the competition (not counting the preliminary round).

This is very true and I think this point gets ignored a lot. Netrunner is one in many games of it's type. It's neither the oldest or the newest "LCG", yet for some reason it's far more popular than any other, and has many more active sites and forums dedicated specifically to discussing it. I think that's a testament to just how well designed and fun the game is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skylar114 wrote:
Clevider wrote:
I didn't think the explanation could be it's sales model since Netrunner isn't the only successful game of its type and yet is the only LCG/CCG in the competition (not counting the preliminary round).

This is very true and I think this point gets ignored a lot. Netrunner is one in many games of it's type. It's neither the oldest or the newest "LCG", yet for some reason it's far more popular than any other, and has many more active sites and forums dedicated specifically to discussing it. I think that's a testament to just how well designed and fun the game is.

Yeah, I always compare it to the Star Wars LCG. It's got the Star Wars behind it for crying out loud, and it doesn't get nearly as much attention.

The Star Wars effect is so massive that FFG is making and selling not one but two Very Luxurious miniatures games AND a revamp of an old game (Decent) with it.

Yet ANR overshadows the SW LCG. If that's not a testimony to the game as designed, I don't know what is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
I sense a potential reskin!

Secret Plans 0
Event - Battle
Attack a remote location. You gain 9 credits to spend on maneuvers. At the end of the battle, lose an ally.
Many Bothans died to bring us these plans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchel Cacciola
msg tools
I feel the pod based deckbuilding, and the greatness of the Decipher CCG (pre prequel expansions) hang over the Star Wars LCG like a dark looming shadow of doom.

Honestly if it ditched the pod based deck-building, I could see myself getting behind it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.