United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I bought Games Quarterly issue #10 (Fall 2006) to get the mini-Catan expansion, I decided I might as well flip through the magazine itself.

Starting on page 26 is an interview of Wil Wheaton (http://imdb.com/name/nm0000696/) by Matt Forbeck. Most folks know him from his role as Wesley Crusher on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

He was introduced to Euro style games with Illuminati. He also says he plays a lot of Out of the Box games with his kids like Gold Digger (Gold Digger), Apples to Apples, and bunches of Cheapass Games.

He also plays lots of Pirate's Cove with them (with some house rules), and this is where he mentions that Pirate's Cove has a great rating at BoardGameGeek.com.

He also loves Bohnanza, Frank's Zoo, and Wits & Wagers. But the game he plays the most is Munchkin.

For what it's worth, it appears Wil has an account here at BGG, actually lists 5 owned games, and rated 4 games, and actually wrote a geeklist comment. Last seen on BGG about a month ago.

By the way, he's also the author of "Just a Geek" http://www.amazon.com/Just-Geek-Wil-Wheaton/dp/059600768X/?t...

He has a blog covering "games" at http://www.wilwheaton.net/games/ (he was on World Poker Tour this year by the way)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most of Slashdot is here now, actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, impressive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW . . .

Stalk much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poochie D
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
He's written reviews of some Start Wreck: The Next Generation episodes. They're hilarious, check them out:

http://www.tvsquad.com/bloggers/wil-wheaton

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Good to see Wil has progressed from being the character I would most like to see vaporised in STNG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yegods
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
his regular blog is actually quite interesting too. i read that and Neil Gaiman's quite frequently. Wil seems like quite the geek -- i'm sure we would all get along famously.

here's his blog:

http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
Met him at Gen Con So Cal a few years ago. He was there for role playing mostly but visited the board game area from time to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
mbmbmbmbmb
His "Games of Our Lives" blog in theonion.com AV club about early- to mid-period arcade games is always good for a laugh or three. (Click through to the AV club in the top right corner. Then scroll down to the bottom just below the Games review.)

Born a geek, played a geek, still a geek. Who can cast off a shadow as great as that? And who would want to? Geeks forever!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Hoppe
Germany
Braunschweig / City of Lions
flag msg tools
mbmb
I always loathed Wesley Crusher in the series! Nice to see, that Wil is an OK guy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Pssst - also visitors to BGG: several members of Blue Oyster Cult and some guy who likes Warhammer 40K named Robin Williams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm famous too! At least to my friends and family... When I pay them... And take out their garbage....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it seems that most of the games wouldn't really fall into the "Euro style games" (well, I guess Pirate's Cove does). But the part that got me really depressed was this statement.

Quote:
...plays a lot of Out of the Box games with his kids...

Damn, I'm old.

Anyway, any mention of BGG by higher profile people is always a good thing. I guess we'll have to wait for Messers Wheaton and Williams to appear with their kids at WBC some day. Then they will have made the full transformation into gaming geeks. (Note: I would have used BGG.CON as my example, but I don't think they allow kids like WBC does).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
DISCUSS AMONGST YOURSELVES:

Is Robin Williams Mr Cranky?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oi, yes, Wil Wheaton with kids definitely reminds me I'm old. Well, about as old as he is, anyway.

We purchased Stand By Me a month ago on disc, and watching that reminded me of seeing it for the first time when I was 12 as well... that made me feel old too.

But I'm not really that old. Just by comparison. (But I wouldn't trade it for being a teen again - no way.)

FWIW, I don't think that Wesley Crusher was all THAT bad - not any more than the rest of the show was for those first two painful seasons. Like most characters on that show (except for Picard), some serious growing and defining was needed. Wil Wheaton gave Wesley some real depth in his final season and in his later appearances in the "academy" episodes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
DISCUSS AMONGST YOURSELVES:

Is Robin Williams Mr Cranky?

Just in general, or the actual user ID?

No clue. I'd have voted for Grognards if I didn't know better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric barnes
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I thought he was more famous leading the role in the epic 80's film, "Stand by me" - most notably the seen where he had leeches in his underwear

http://imdb.com/title/tt0092005/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'd have voted for Grognards if I didn't know better.

Grognads?! Oh, my God, it's all starting to make sense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kuznick
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Pssst - also visitors to BGG: several members of Blue Oyster Cult and some guy who likes Warhammer 40K named Robin Williams.

Which members of BOC?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Pssst - also visitors to BGG: several members of Blue Oyster Cult...

I got a fever. And the only prescription... is more cowbell!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kuznick
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually know Wil through poker, and have mentioned BGG to him about 6 months ago. I teased him about his crappy taste in games and told him to do some research here. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Which members of BOC?

Scribidinus probably knows...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
dkuznick wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

Which members of BOC?

Eric and Buck.

Back when I was recording with them, Eric was a mean Starcraft player (human preferred) and was quite addicted to certain online RPGs and Diablo. Buck dabbled a bit, but Eric is a bit of a fanatic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kuznick
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
dkuznick wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

Which members of BOC?

Eric and Buck.

Back when I was recording with them, Eric was a mean Starcraft player (human preferred) and was quite addicted to certain online RPGs and Diablo. Buck dabbled a bit, but Eric is a bit of a fanatic.

Cool. Al Bouchard is a semi-regular poster to the BOC-L mailing list (not so much lately though), but I haven't had any contact with Eric or Buck. They are still a kickass live band, for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BOC is awesome live. Saw them a few years ago in Salt Lake City, but they seem to skip Utah when they are on tour now.

So, they play boardgames?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.