David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for fun, talk about a card you made and played, and what your experience was when you played it. Was it too powerful? Useless? Just right? Did you enjoy playing it, or was it so complicated that the experience wasn't good. Did your opponent shank you on the way to your car?

Tell all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Gabel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I didn't play them, but my wife used my Trexels against me in a game, and it went well. The Trexelprise beat out my TOS Klingons, but not by a huge margin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Seymour
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
badge
Putting humans in charge of the earth, is the cosmic equivalence of letting Eddie Murphy direct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the problem here, is not that we don't love custom cards. But instead the fact that you David (carbon_dragon) make 99.9999% of all the custom cards for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You are certainly right that I'm WAY more interested, but it's not that high. Lots of people have posted cards in this forum. XavierMace even posts ships to Shapeways so he can produce his own models too. THAT is hardcore.

I like seeing the variant cards on the table, but just doing them is fun (for me) and I like to think it gives me some insight on the real WK cards that I might not have had otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I somehow missed this thread when he posted it, but in David's defense, I've got a LOT of custom cards too. I'm sitting at around 100 right now. Most of his I believe though are ships. Most of mine are custom upgrades. The first time my "Gravity Well" card was played on the table (not by me), the pure chaos that ensued got a laugh from all the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
XavierMace wrote:
I somehow missed this thread when he posted it, but in David's defense, I've got a LOT of custom cards too. I'm sitting at around 100 right now. Most of his I believe though are ships. Most of mine are custom upgrades. The first time my "Gravity Well" card was played on the table (not by me), the pure chaos that ensued got a laugh from all the players.

That sounds fun. I like the idea of introducing terrain that changes the game. Better that then the same old blank map.

Yes, I've done mostly ships with a few upgrades along with it. The ones I really like best are the torpedoes, which essentially use a timed reload mechanic and don't require a target lock. I really hate the STAW torps.

My play experience with my ships has often resulted in toning down the perks or upping the cost. The Prometheus was too good, even at 80 points, multi-vector assault mode really WORKED in STAW! I upped it to 95. Three ships with a common captain and sharing action bar actions is a powerful concept (but you need 4 miniatures). The Enterprise C worked great and didn't seem too powerful at all. The Akayazi with it's reverse-Aux Tokens had to be toned down because being able to cancel aux tokens was more powerful than I anticipated. The NX-01 with the secondary hull (which is what they supposedly wanted to do with the ship in later seasons) worked quite well as a ship upgrade like the Vulcan combat upgrade. And my Saladin class destroyers were fun to fly but fragile as heck. On the whole I've had a lot of fun thanks to a friend who is a very good sport for my experiments.

I have a lot more respect for the people who have designed the STAW ships because I know how hard it is to do so that they work well without being too powerful.

You're trying to redesign the game more radically than I am but I love seeing something like the Saladin or Ambassador or Akayazi on the table. I've got your Romulan fighters painted up and ready to go. Not sure if I'll have an opponent long enough to get them on the table though. Too bad we don't have a Vassal Mod for STAW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
If you're ever out in the Phoenix, AZ area let me know and we can get some games in.

I'm sitting here working on some more cards right now both Attack Wing and cards for an Armada version. Let me know when you get time to look at that last card I sent you closer so we can figure out how to proceed. If we can get my template working for you, that would be great that way you can toss on whatever images you want. As it is right now, I have to try to relocate the images you used or at least something similar which is very time consuming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.