Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in an odd predicament. My daughter's school has an after school Yu Gi Oh club, where a teacher hopes to use YuGiOh to teach math and critical thinking. Problem is, YuGiOh is not supported here beyond the local Target and Walmart store. The sole game store within 90 miles supports only Magic (and due to the attrocious body odor, we avoid the store on those nights like the plague).

Now, my daughter is 9(10 in June), and typically enjoys these types of games but she does not really understand deck building and advanced strategy.

I gave up CCG's because though I was a MtG fan, I hated the cost involvement to keep relevant and legal in organized play. however, YuGiOh has been so damn confusing/ambiguous with some rules it is frustrating me to teach it to my daughter.

The summons in particular, and when spells/traps can be played are the biggest culprits. So many different kinds of summons to do what is essentially the same thing really seems to overly confuse things.

So a flip summon doesnt count as a normal or special summon, but can it only be performed once per turn? I see no clarification in the rules. It also seems like some traps with ongoing effects can call the game based on whether or not you have a card which specifically destroys traps. We had this come up with Geargia Rampage, early on getting a certain trap card out gave a machine type monster +500 atk and with another monster on field shut the opponent out the entire game, making it a pointless slog through the rest of the game. I realize these games are prone to luck of the draw at times, especially with limited pre constructed decks, but so much of this seems overly confusing for what it is.

I want to like this game, some cards eeem interesting and it is the only board /card game that is supported by my daughter's school. However, knowing that it isnt supported AT ALL outside of the school club makes me wary of buying cards for her. On the flip side, even I refuse to play Magic in the local store, so it really complicates things. Id rather play Magic with my daughter, but she wants the YuGiOh because of the school club.

Is there a good site or are there videos to watch to truly clarify and explain the game? Is it truly a loss without a place for organized play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heming Wen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YuGiOh has its own issues as a CCG and I'm questioning whether the decision of using YGO in school is not biased by the preferences of whoever made that decision/suggestion. YGO is an extremely combo-based game. At competitive level, lots of decisions to be made in the first turn and it will determine the victory. There are decks that will immediate invalidate an entire archetype of decks within a single turn and 0TK (zero turn kill/victory) is often possible.

The rules are pretty clear here, I'm not sure if you are reading the official rules:
http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/rulebook/SDCR_Rulebook_EN.pdf

"You can change a face-down Defense Position Monster into face-up Attack Position, without using a card effect. This is called a Flip Summon. When you Flip Summon, you cannot change the monster to face-up Defense Position, only to face-up Attack Position. A Monster Card cannot be Flip Summoned in the same turn that it was Set onto the field."

There is no limit on how many flip summons you can do, although a Monster Card cannot be Flip Summoned in the same turn that it was Set onto the field.

MTG can be a much slower and varied game, due to its different variants so yes, I would prefer MTG over YGO if I had to choose one. But the two games scratch a different itch for me so I play both. You want to try YGO with ALL the cards for free? Try downloading YuGiOhPro or DevPro, which has AI to play against. For MTG, you can try MTG Forge.

Of course, PM me if you want to know more about other CCGs and LCGs. I have experience with most CCGs, including Pokemon, L5R, Cardfight Vanguard, etc. And LCGs are good too, especially Android Netrunner, which in my opinion is superior to any other CCG/TCG/LCG game I played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main question I have at the moment is if before battle phase I flip summon a card, attack with it, and the effect states it reverts to defense at end of battle phase, during main phase 2 can i flip summon that same card again? If so it seems the effect of the card makes little sense (card in question has a defense of 100, so is worthless in that mode except as cannon fodder)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what you mentioned it changes to face up defense position. You can only flip summon a face down card. Do you have the name of the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heming Wen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reverting to defense does not mean the card is turned face down. Also, you cannot flip summon a card that was manually changed to face-down during the same turn.

Most cards are cannon fodder in their defense position, except those designed for defense.

Also, when in doubt, consult http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.