Subject: Teaching my friend and his 8 year old daughter TTR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
We had actually played the game once before with open hands which is the best way to introduce kids to the game. Once they were familiar with it we went to closed hands.

My opening ticket hand was not all that good. I had three N-S routes each for about 12 points but one was in the west, another in the east and the third right down the middle. I tossed the east card as it can get a bit messy there with 3 players.

The girl wanted to know what tickets we had and where we were going but we explained to her that the best part of the game is not knowing what your opponent is doing and working around it. I don't think she bought it because of the face she made but we stuck to the rules.

I wound up having to draw a ton of blind cards because the colors I neeed weren't coming up and I wanted to complete the West route first since my friend had also started his trains in the same area. As I expected, I was cut off and had to take the round-about route to Portland.

The girl was having a grand old time running her trains on the East side without any interference but she also lamented over the poor choices of trains. She took a lot of wild cards which I think is a rookie mistake since it hampers your progress in the long run.

I had a fistful of cards when I finally started to make my move. They had each gone back to the ticket-well at least twice more whereas I stuck with my original two cards. I had used to many resources just to complete the original two I had drawn.

I did manage to connect the Westeran and Central routes I had created and even expanded a bit East much to the chagrin of my opponents making for a long continuous run.

My strategy paid off as I run out of cards at the exact time I was left with 2 cars. My opponenents had no way to complete all their tickets.

It may be the first game I have ever won where I only made 25 points on my tickets and also scoring under 100.

Regardless of the outcome we all had a great time and look forward to the next game which will be coming up real soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.