Popular Tags: [View All]
John Heder
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before tonight it had been six or seven months or more since the last time I had played Caylus. It wasn't that I didn't want to play, it was just most of the copies of the game that I had been playing, found new places to be - away from where I was playing board games. At one time a friend had two copies of the game at his place and both belonged to other people. Both copies had to be returned to their owner, and the only other person I knew who had a copy had seemed to loose interest in playing, but had been bringing his copy to our weekly game night.

Before the Caylus drought, I had been on a winning streak except for the disasterous last game could count on one hand the games I had lost out of 15 to 20 total games. But I was afraid the long time since I had played had affected my memory of how to play as it had for some games which are played times that are few and far between. But on playing again tonight, I remembered pretty much everything I had learned - some might say its was like riding a bike (though I haven't done that in years!)

The set up of the game: disks for score, turn order, passing order, and favor tracks - building placement

The order of play: income, worker placement, building activiation, Castle building, favor received

Strategy: focusing on using your resources to build wood or stone buildings, or focusing your resources as offerings to build up the castle, or attempting a mixture.

Play of the game: when to place a worker where it will do the most good, what buildings to build, when to pass, when and how much to offer, etc.

In fact the only thing that I didn't specifically remember was the amount of money players received at the start of the game and that there is an income at the start of the game.

Tonights game went very well for me. While one new player was learning and making only a few newbie mistakes (less than he could have as we were helping early on in the game) - he built a lot and made only a few offerings, another player focused on making a lot of offerings to build up the castle, and another attempted to collect as many favors as possible. Myself, I opted to build as many buldings as I could and made few offerings to the castle until later in the game.

Once more I was pleased to hear the old familiar cry of "Point for Green!" - Green being my color of choice. This cry has often stuck int he minds of others and in tonights case was mostly from myself.

Following this strategy I then used the lawyer to increase my income (eventually I was receiving an income of 7 a turn). Then I began to make offerings to the castle and buying favors which I used to go up the building track.

Halfway through the game, me and the first time player began to pull away from the other two players with me almost always in the lead. I ended well ahead of him and perhaps twice what the other two had. It was nice to know that I hadn't lost it.

Caylus is an extremely enjoyable game that stuck with me over a long period of time. I'm sure that if I were to check my games played record I would find that the last time I played Caylus would be in April or maybe even March - over 6 months. It has a lasting quality that I have only encountered in a few other games - Puerto Rico being the first to come to mind. It also made me wish for a copy of my own so I won't have to wait another six or seven months to play it again.

For those of you who haven't played or haven't played in a while, I highly recomend that you give it a try or another try as it might be. I'm sure you will have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Point for Green!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.