Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone come up with a good variant to change how the Underworld works or leave it out of the game altogether? I've pondered how to do this, but can't think of a good use for the Death god and his cards/powers if the Underworld is taken out.

Any ideas appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Underworld, I just don't like the small board and the movement of armies on it. I think you would have to come up with something that allows you to get those points for altars/crypts for the end of the game scoring. Maybe a board with a central location that allows you to battle for a set amount of points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thompson
United States
Amherst
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
I read a variant somewhere where your armies started in limbo, and had to fight their way into heaven, and then you got points for the number of armies you had in heaven at the end of the game (like the guy who had most got 8, second got 5 etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Uber
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
I agree the Underworld helps balance the game, but it is too small. I scanned mine into the computer, cut-off each heaven and re-printed each heaven and the Underworld to each fit on an 8 1/2 x 11 inch sheet of card stock. Each player keeps their heaven in front of them and the Underworld is now almost twice as big, but it probably still needs to be bigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peet Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a variant underworld map which I posted here:
http://files.boardgamegeek.com/geekfile_view.php?fileid=7112

Basically the idea is similar to the original map. Crypts and altars work the same.

However, there are a couple of differences.

Mainly, it never made sense to me that the dead would move FROM heaven INTO hell. Why would anyone want to do that?

Instead, all player's dead start in Limbo. They may cross the River Styx into the underworld at any of the three boat sites. The red lines are uncrossable.

If a player has units in the space that connects to the heavens (where the purple arrow is), they may move any number of units from there into heaven. Once units are in heaven, the player may convert any 3 troops in heaven into 1 faith point, as a reward for the spirits making it into heaven.

drpetrov

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.