Subject: Operation Deadstick / Pegasus Bridge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could have posted this either here or in the Normandy Battlepack forum.

I've been fortunate enough to receive some older C3i Combat Commander material from some non-CC playing friends, including Scenario 107, Operation Deadstick. I've played Scenario 46 Pegasus Bridge from the Normandy battlepack a couple of times and realised on reading it that 107 is almost identical, obviously an earlier incarnation of the same scenario prior to the availability of the Normandy version (penned by the same designer, Bryan). Obviously the main differences are the map and the absence of the Normandy and Night Special Rules packages.

I was curious if anyone has played both and whether there is enough difference to make playing 107 worthwhile in its own right. The key difference is how night fighting is modelled. In Pegasus Bridge only the Bocage rule applies from the Normandy package but the Night Rules have a significant importance in that scenario, providing the Allies with much needed Hindrance protection (they lost both times in my games and I think they have a tough time in this scenario as it is). The Night Visibility rule in 107, however, puts an absolute cap on range (1 at the start of the scenario!) and without Starshells available I wonder whether this would significantly tip the balance back in favour of the Allies in their effort to storm the bridge (and I should note that thematically I really like the idea of visibility and therefore range increasing as the Time marker advances and dawn approaches…..a clever idea I haven't seen in other CC scenarios).

I'll probably eventually test this out for myself but for the sake of discussion I was wondering if anyone else has experience of playing both scenarios and how they feel they compared.

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
We went ahead and played both in our Chronological playthrough. I made a blog entry here.

The relevant notes are these:
Quote:
Scenario 107 showcases the famous "Pegasus Bridge" operation conducted by British glider troops, taking a fortified bridge across one of Normandy's many canals. The scenario appears in C3i Magazine #21. When Combat Commander: Battle Pack #3 – Normandy made its appearance, the battle was redone with Scenario 46 using a historically accurate map though the same forces (and custom Normandy leaders).

A key difference between the scenarios is that in the 107 version, LOS is limited to the number of spaces equal to wherever the Time Marker is. Thus it is possible you cannot see any enemy units if they are not close enough. Scenario 46 uses the Night Rules from the Normandy battlepack which apply a hindrance equal to the range to the target. This played a key difference, I thought, in the results of the two scenarios.

In the 107 version, I was able to push ahead quickly, get in the trenches and bring some heavy firepower to bear on the bridge. In the 46 version, I couldn't even get close before my leaders were cut down.

In the 107 version, I managed to blast the Germans into surrender before their surrender level increased at Time Track 3. In the 46 version, that's what happened to me, a surrender forced before we could make it to Time 5 and bump my surrender up, as well as get my needed reinforcements.

It was a sight to behold in the very opposite way in which these two played out.
Scenario 107: British win by German surrender.
Senario 46: Germans win by British surrender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
We went ahead and played both in our Chronological playthrough. I made a blog entry here.

Thanks for that. Interesting and gratifying to see that your games played out the way I predicted and for the reasons I thought. Maybe I am developing some CC tactical nous after all

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it occurs to me that without a few lucky early Time triggers, the Germans may be unable to compete consistently in 107…..using the Starshells optional rule (and making it effective for the scenario's Night Visibility SSR) might even out the balance. Another option would be starting the Time marker at a more advanced position (say 3) with the Sudden Death and reinforcements advanced a corresponding amount.

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone dalla Chiesa
Italy
Cassina de' Pecchi
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I played both scenarios, 107 & 46, many times. I like 107 much better. I see no difference in the opening and in the speed with which the British can reach the trenches. But the movement for the Germans is much faster in 107, and they can bring their rinforcements into play quicker than in 46. This makes a counterattack possible. In 46, in my experience, once the Paratroopers get into the pilbox, there is no way to re-take it for the Germans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.