Paths of Glory» Forums » Rules

Subject: Negating trench shifts, multi-national attack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Payne
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi.

These questions may well have been raised already, I admit. Asking may save a long search through material though!

(I) When I play a combat card to negate trench effects, does this prevent the enemy from using the trench to stop a retreat? I.e., is it as though the trench weren't there at all or is it only 'cancelling effects' for the purposes of the die rolls?

(II) Multi-national attacks. If I attack from different spaces..one space must contain units of all attacking nationalities. What if one space contains nationalities of A, B, C, and another attacking space contains nationalities A and D...is it permitted to activate the second space to attack and simply not include 'D' in the combat strength or does this invalidate using the second space altogether?

Cheers!

Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
(II) Yes. As long as one space contains all attacking nations its ok to activate also others. D can of course attack other space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Payne
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So...the option to cancel the retreat is part of 'the combat'?

On (II), it looks difficult to disallow it..if not all units in a space have to attack even when their nationality's the same?

Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
OK. Longer:

(I) Trench cancelling card cancels all trench effects (including defenders possibility to cancel retreat). If there is terrain in the space which allows to cancel retreat, the defender can of course use that. All CP trench cancelling cards are like this.

AP has Royal Tank Corps which cancels only trench column shifts. It does allow defender to cancel retreat even, if trench is on originally clear space.

(II) Assume there is:

BE1, BEF & FR5 in Brussels
FR1,FR2 & US1 in Sedan
3xGE army in Liege (1,2&3)
GE5 in trench in Koblenz

Now AP activates Brussels & Sedan for combat. BE1, BEF, FR5, FR1 & FR2 attack Liege. This is legal, because Brussels contained all attacking nations. AP flanks & throws 3, which is success since Sedan is pinning & Brussels is free. Now AP rolls 6 (7lf) and CP rolls 5 (5lf). BEF must be reduced, since it has loss priority. CP decides to retreat 2 surviving armies to Koblenz & GE(c) to Aachen to block AP. AP advances FR armies to Liege.

Since you don't have to announce your attacks beforehand, AP can now attack with US1 to Koblenz. Two retreated armies die automatically before combat. Both roll 3 and flip each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David Galt
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording to look for is that a card "negates (or cancels) all trench effects." When the attacker plays a CC that has that phrase on it, the entire battle is conducted as if no trench were present. This means:
(1) Attacker may attempt to flank (unless defending space is a Swamp or Mountain);
(2) Neither player makes any trench column shifts;
(3) Defender can't cancel a retreat (unless defending space is a Desert, Forest, Mountain, or Swamp); and
(4) Neither player may play other CCs (or use CCs played earlier) that depend on the defending space having a trench (Mine Attack, Fortified Machine Guns).

As someone else pointed out, the CP have most of the cards that "cancel all trench effects." The Allies have only one, Brusilov Offensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.