Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: What are your "go-to" Open Groups rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryce O

Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just getting started with our first campaign and was interested in getting this conversation going. Now I realize its all situational but surely there are some no brainer choices. For instance we're ready for "Under Siege" and my Rebel players have just unlocked Chewy and I'm pretty certain they'll use him. I'm strongly considering loading my Open Group slots with elite troopers and elite guards since it looks like threat isn't going to be a problem or do you think it's a mistake to not include a lower cost card such as Probe Droid or an Officer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Totter
Denmark
Brønshøj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well thats easy; Royal guards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Allen
msg tools
I almost always include the normal Trandoshan Hunters or normal Royal Guards group. I use the Hunters to attack within short distance since they can cause heroes to suffer a strain within 3 spaces and cause an additional damage if they are adjacent. Granted, at least one of my Hunters gets killed pretty quickly. Royal Guards have that stun that can be a tedious effect, plus they have a fair amount of health.

Normal Stormtroopers are added (since there are plenty of 'Trooper only' Imeperial class cards depending on the deck). The normal Imperial Officer is the final main addition if possible, since he costs so little and can use the Special Operations reward card if possible.

To be honest, I don't add many, if at all, elite groups unless I'm at the 6 Threat level, because I usually tempt the Rebels by putting my figures within a somewhat close proximity. Often I have to reinforce normal figures. Or, if there is a special mission setup option that starts me off with twice the Threat level, I'll choose to select an elite group to deploy right away or during the first Status Phase.

As a result, I get to consistently reduce health of the heroes while they try to continuously deplete my army, which leads to less hero activations and more frustration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eckberg
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always add an elite imperial officer. Using his ability to give one of your heavier attack figures an additional attack, can really hurt the rebels. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on how early in a campaign. If you're only getting 2 Threat per turn, I try to stay low on the cost figures, like Imp Commanders, Stormtroopers, etc. Once you're getting 4+ threat per turn, I go for the harder hitters, like Royal Guards, IG88/Vader, etc.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Mäkäräinen
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also my class tends to make me migrate towards specific groups:
- Military Might: Stormtroopers and E-Web Engineer (TROOPER)
- Technological Superiority = Probe Droids
- Subversive Tactics = Royal Guard, Nexus (anything that increases strain and takes away actions)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Haines
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Two words: Elite Nexu devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray MacPherson
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
mb
I never run a mission without Royal Guards in an Open Group. They have great manoeuvrability and health. Additionally they have Reach and Stun.

They excel in slowing the Rebels down so they can't complete their mission. In our last game my Elite Royal Guard prevented the Rebels from gaining the Rebel Saboteur allies. I banked my threat to the point where I had a whole round with no units just to afford the Elite Royal Guard the next turn. As usual they taught the Rebels who's boss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends, but always units that I will be able to afford!

With Military Might, after getting Combat Veterans Stormtroopers (regular or elite depending on expected threat budget) was a sure pick. Otherwise, Trandoshan Hunters and Royal Guards, if I could afford them. After getting Special Operations, Imperial Officer if the mission did not already include one (because he paid for his deployment himself using the special action from Special Operations). Assault Armor was useful with anything, so the selection of open groups was more dependent on the mission than the cards. Most missions included Stormtroopers already, so Combat Medic could be used if need be.

Edit: of course Nexus for blocking corridors and doors if the mission calls for those. They have a nasty bit also.

In the first missions with 2-3 threat it is quite hard to select open groups. You want to be able to use the threat you are getting. Taking a 7-cost Trandoshan Hunter card might be a waste. I neglected the Probe Droids in the campaign, but using them well can get a lot out of their 3 threat cost. They roll 3 dice, which is more than you can afford with low threat generally, so they could be good for attacks against 2-dice defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
If the mission has small spaces I go for Royal Guards, Trandoshan Hunters, or Elite Stormtroopers. If it has wide open spaces, Nexu (elite or not) are great!

EWeb, Probe Droids, and Imperial Officers are usually last to be picked. My E-Webs get destroyed way too fast. Probe Droids are just an annoyance. Imperial Officers just don't seem to do much of anything. The elite one might be a better option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard B
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
www.nine2fivestudios.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It feels samey at times, but given my free Imp Officer in the open group, I'll take Probe Droid(s), Royal Guards, and Nexu/Stormtrooper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
Depends a lot on the situation, which hero characters, and your class.

In any situation where the rebels are going to have to rush for an objective something that inflicts bleed or stun is critical (I like royal guard and elite next for this). If you want to burst down heroes quickly then hunters and stormtoopers are awesome. If you have a heavy hitter it's great to bring in an elite officer. Imperial might likes troopers/e-webs, tech likes probe droids.

I will say, that once threat hits 4, it rarely hurts to have royal guards. They don't die quickly, are fast, and can stun with fair reliability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
I too will almost always take Royal Guards or Elite Royal Guards. They are so damn handy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta agree with most everyone here, Royal Guards and Trandoshans seem to be the biggest threats for the cheapest cost. Nexu's are not bad either.

Most other units are either too squishy or too expensive, at least until very late in the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't count out Imperial Commanders for command ability, and you'd be surprised how damaging the Probe Droids can be, especially with the right Imperial Class (and they're cheap).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.