Kevin H
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Right? Well, so says the voting so far on my Geeklist:

"Plays best with 2? 3? 4? 173? You tell me! Ultimate Optimum # of Players List (BGG Top 259)"

So far I have received thousands of votes on over 200 games, but unfortunately, Roads and Boats is one of the games which has received fewer than I would like to see.

If you would be interested in voting on Roads and Boats, please head over to my geeklist:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17016/page/2

Thanks! meeple

And thank you to everyone who has already contributed, I think it is becoming a useful resource.

P.S. Make sure you read the rules prior to posting to ensure your vote counts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only been able to play it solo so far. It works great for 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark D Lew
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've only played with 3 or 4. In my group we all have families, so coming up with a big enough chunk of time to play R&B is a pretty big deal. When it happens, we want to include as many as can make it.

I would very much like to try it with 2, because I can see how dramatically different the strategy would be. With three or more players, direct competition is not very practical. It tends to slow down both players involved, to the benefit of the others in the game. As a result, in our games, direct conflict has generally been limited to quick raids for stray products on the borders, and -- more important -- leaving transports in threatening position so as to slow down a neighbor by forcing him to cover his goods just in case. Occasionally, later in a game, if one player is clearly in the lead, and another is clearly behind, the guy in the middle might find it necessary to make a move against the leader in order to slow him down, even at the expense of letting the third guy catch up.

With two-players, the strategic calculus is very different. Conflict is now a zero-sum game. Sure, maybe it slows down my production tremendously to have a rogue truck wandering around in my opponent's road network, but if it hurts my opponent even more, then it's a smart play. Same idea for throwing a lot of boards and stones at tearing down and building up walls. In three-player, you'd lose out to the player who isn't exhausting his resources this way, but in two-player if it costs your opponent more than it costs you it's worth it.

One of my friends enjoys R&B best when it's more like multi-player solitaire. He thinks the conflict aspect of the game is less fun. Presumably he'd vote that R&B works better with more than two. Me, I enjoy the puzzle of conflict. I'd like to try a two-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Roads and Boats plays best with 2 players, worst with 4.
Don't try 6. Do two 3 player games instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roads and Boats can be played online here at the geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
iglew wrote:

With two-players, the strategic calculus is very different. Conflict is now a zero-sum game. Sure, maybe it slows down my production tremendously to have a rogue truck wandering around in my opponent's road network, but if it hurts my opponent even more, then it's a smart play. Same idea for throwing a lot of boards and stones at tearing down and building up walls. In three-player, you'd lose out to the player who isn't exhausting his resources this way, but in two-player if it costs your opponent more than it costs you it's worth it.

One of my friends enjoys R&B best when it's more like multi-player solitaire. He thinks the conflict aspect of the game is less fun. Presumably he'd vote that R&B works better with more than two. Me, I enjoy the puzzle of conflict. I'd like to try a two-player game.

This is focusing on the conflict.

The flip side is that in a multi-player game, you can have cooperation. Two players can agree to pool resources for a truck factory and both get trucks without both having to do the research. Or they could share an oil rig and take turns getting the fuel.

I like this kind of cooperation so prefer Roads and Boats with 3 to the game with 2. Kind of neat having the players cooperating in adjacent pairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer with 2. Played 4-5 times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.