Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Magnum Opus» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mindstone... questions upon valid use rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Howell                (What's Right?) (What's Wrong?)        
United States
Canoga Park
California
flag msg tools
Brought to you by Zik Zak
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering the appropriate use of the Mindstone card as the text on the card does not appear to be complete in comparison to the rules book.

I just want to confirm that:

1) The power of a Mindstone can not be used when hiring an assistant to complete the Unexpected Yield, which results in a Research Card from the Research Deck.
2) The power of a Mindstone can, though, be used on both the buried Research Card below Unexpected Yield, won by the first Alchemist to successfully transmute it's appropriate elements, and the resulting Research Card from the Unexpected Yield itself (e.g. pick up and resolve two cards from the Research Deck for the Transmutation's success, then pick up the reward Research Card and an additional card from the Research Deck and resolve as well.)
3) The card is discarded upon failure, and still discarded upon success if the cards ability is not activated.

Thanks.

Rusty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Stedman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
OVERWORLD Launches on Kickstarter July 13, 2017!
badge
Magic Meeple...the boardgame people! MagicMeepleGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
badgeguy wrote:
I was wondering the appropriate use of the Mindstone card as the text on the card does not appear to be complete in comparison to the rules book.

I just want to confirm that:

1) The power of a Mindstone can not be used when hiring an assistant to complete the Unexpected Yield, which results in a Research Card from the Research Deck.
2) The power of a Mindstone can, though, be used on both the buried Research Card below Unexpected Yield, won by the first Alchemist to successfully transmute it's appropriate elements, and the resulting Research Card from the Unexpected Yield itself (e.g. pick up and resolve two cards from the Research Deck for the Transmutation's success, then pick up the reward Research Card and an additional card from the Research Deck and resolve as well.)
3) The card is discarded upon failure, and still discarded upon success if the cards ability is not activated.

Thanks.

Rusty

Hello!

1) Correct
2) I'm not sure if you actually mean Inexplicable Yield or Unstable Transmutation. In either case, the actual discovery card resolves first, and if it allows you to gain a research card (however it is done as a result of the Discovery) that is your trigger point at which you may activate the Mindstone to instead draw two research cards (from the top of the research deck. So basically you're voluntarily trashing whatever you did get for two blind from the top of the deck.
3) Correct

Hope this helps

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Howell                (What's Right?) (What's Wrong?)        
United States
Canoga Park
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, My bad memory regarding the title of the card I was referencing here did not help with the confusion.

I was referring to the Discovery card "Unstable Transmutation", which gives the player the top card from the Research Deck as the result of a successful transmutation (regardless of whether there is a research card underneath to also be gained by the first or not).

As I re-read the Mindstone card, I realize that my question is kind of mute as the card is discarded (returned to the supply) when it is used, which means that, I gather, it can only be used for either:

a) The research card gained by being the first to successfully transmute

-or-

b) The research card gained as the reward of "Unstable Transmutation"

but not both.

I am confused though, it was my understanding that the power of the Mindstone (as well as Maria Prophetissa) was that a second card was drawn from the Research deck regardless of the origin of the first (whether from under the Discovery card or from the Research Deck) and from those two, one is selected to be kept and the other placed on the bottom of the Research Deck (see: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1243718/maria-prophetis... and Mindstone Card Reference on page 7 of the rules). Am I incorrect about how the Mindstone works?

I love this game! Thanks again for taking the time to answer these silly edge questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.