Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan Soanka
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings,

After a play session today, we came across the Blessing card: Sharpening Iron. Now, the way it was played was that any single player could give a resource card to another for free if both players were are the same location. Meaning, that a player whose Prophet Phase was already done, could still give another player a resource card since the Blessing card bypassed the normal rules for Giving Resources.

We played it like this since it was a very conditional and limited use card and made no mention of which player could give the resource.

My question to Lance is: Did we play this card as intended?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Hill
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Kings of Israel
mbmbmbmbmb
Sharpening Iron can just be done by the current active player. This Blessing varies in effectiveness by the number of players; with just 2 it barely gets used but Sharpening Iron is usually pretty useful when playing with 4 in my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Soanka
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, to clarify, the Prophet's whose Phase it is would be the only one who could give a resource for free then? Meaning if my Phase was completed, I could not then give a free resource to someone else who came to the location I was, on their turn, with Sharpening Iron?

Just want to make sure it's being played correctly cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Hill
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Kings of Israel
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteTiger78 wrote:
Ok, to clarify, the Prophet's whose Phase it is would be the only one who could give a resource for free then? Meaning if my Phase was completed, I could not then give a free resource to someone else who came to the location I was, on their turn, with Sharpening Iron?

Just want to make sure it's being played correctly cool

That is correct, only the current player can give the resource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patterson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Came here to see if this exact situation had been discussed. We had this come up in a 3p game yesterday and interpreted it that any single player could give a resource once in the round, whether it was their phase or not. It only happened maybe once, but as the receiving player was the Merchant, giving him gold was extremely helpful.

Glad to have the clarification.

On a similar note, we have played that the Well Informed ability can only be used by the player during their phase; if they go last, they can't scope out the resource deck during the first player's turn to advise them on taking cards. Given the response on Sharpening Iron, I assume this is the correct interpretation of Well Informed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Hill
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Kings of Israel
mbmbmbmbmb
Pattersonclan wrote:
Came here to see if this exact situation had been discussed. We had this come up in a 3p game yesterday and interpreted it that any single player could give a resource once in the round, whether it was their phase or not. It only happened maybe once, but as the receiving player was the Merchant, giving him gold was extremely helpful.

Glad to have the clarification.

On a similar note, we have played that the Well Informed ability can only be used by the player during their phase; if they go last, they can't scope out the resource deck during the first player's turn to advise them on taking cards. Given the response on Sharpening Iron, I assume this is the correct interpretation of Well Informed.

You are correct on Well Informed, it can only be done on that prophet's turn. In general, player abilities can only be used during their turn, the exception being abilities that are triggered by other things (sin cubes added to Imposing Will's location, a new king appears for Blessed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.