Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Post copied courtesy of http://www.dustwarfare.com/

Quote:
Dust Warfare Will Continue

Warfare players can rest easy, knowing that their preferred form of the game will continue to be supported. Paolo has given Warfare over to be fan-created and controlled. Gregory Withrow and the other Warfare players in his team have some awesome things planned for Warfare! Warfare 2.0 is on its way, along with Ad Hoc Platoons.

Dust Tactics fans, don't worry - Paolo has said that a new rulebook for Dust 3.0 is in the works, as well as new cards, so you will not be forgotten!

This is truly an awesome time for Dust players.

Wow, well I'm not sure what to really think about this particular announcement but I'm eager to hear your my fellow BGG'ers thoughts.

**NOTE: This news is a bit old but I didn't see it posted on here yet.**
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grab
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point is just silly, running at full speed into being annoying. So I had version 1, and it was fun. But hey, wait, we will stop supporting that and publish a secend set of rules. And you know what - I tried those out. Bought new cards too. I liked it, I thought it has some cool changes.

And now I hear this - version 3. New cards. Right, just admit it - at this point you just want to sell me new rules and cards. I can't see how dividing your audiance, as small as it is, into 3 groups can make this game any better. Let me ask you this - if they come up with a new unit now, will I get all 3 version of cards when I buy it? No. Only one, right?

Version 2 of Warfare? Right, so the books I can just throw away the books I have? Well, thank you, no, I will keep them and play v1. But you are not going to support that, are you? Yeah...

After FFG sold the licance, the whole thing went downhill and I don't think anybody has any control over it know. I will just play what I have, there is no sanse of supporting this mess anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valarus wrote:

After FFG sold the licance, the whole thing went downhill and I don't think anybody has any control over it know. I will just play what I have, there is no sanse of supporting this mess anymore.

I quite agree, the split with FFG and things after that were all done pretty badly weren't they. Tactics V2 certainly seems to me to be more of an unfinished beta than a polished final product. If the basic game had been anything less than excellent I don't think it would have survived this trauma!

I think V3 is a good thing though, a chance to tweak and polish the many minor problems, and introduce a graduated vehicle damage system perhaps. (like Cosmic Dust)
The rules will probably be available as a free download, so all we'll need is an £8 set of new cards. No £30 codexes, and £50 rulebooks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. R.
Lithuania
flag msg tools
badge
Miss! Does no damage to Liquid Metal Slime!
mbmbmbmbmb
God, I hope this is April Fools joke that they've accidentally posted too early. Either way, they have a bad taste for screwing with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. R.
Lithuania
flag msg tools
badge
Miss! Does no damage to Liquid Metal Slime!
mbmbmbmbmb
What would be funny, if
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
&
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb

would endorse the 3rd edition after playtesting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what to think. It's difficult enough to get new players to understand the different systems as it is, so creating new versions now seems, at best, ill-timed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Migdolas wrote:
What would be funny, if
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
&
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd find it funny as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Migdolas wrote:
What would be funny, if
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
&
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

at this point , i have pretty much lost any trust or faith in paolo , oliver , and the whole dust team . never had faith in the dust devils so ................

and keep in mind that :

first ed DT was originaly PUBLISHED by AEG , using the rules as sent by DG . so that is version TRUE 1 . then FFG became "publisher" , but since they held the wallet , they could force changes like the points and fudgeing the stat cards initially to get them to sync with WARFARE , so that is sorta a version 1.2ish , guess , and then battle front took it over and ignored what we playtesters had done and wrote the rules themselves for the official second ed . so DG MUST make a new rules set since the second ed that they swore up and down were the best thing since sliced bread really sorta belong to BF .

so they plan to make a third edition ? that implies major changes just so they cant be accused of riding the rules that BF made .

and so what happens after they make "3rd ed." , and get a 4TH distributor , who then (as has happened with FFG and BF ) rewrites the rules to their liking for 4th edition ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandInquisitorKris wrote:

at this point , i have pretty much lost any trust or faith in paolo , oliver , and the whole dust team . never had faith in the dust devils so ................

and keep in mind that :

first ed DT was originaly PUBLISHED by AEG , using the rules as sent by DG . so that is version TRUE 1 . then FFG became "publisher" , but since they held the wallet , they could force changes like the points and fudgeing the stat cards initially to get them to sync with WARFARE , so that is sorta a version 1.2ish , guess , and then battle front took it over and ignored what we playtesters had done and wrote the rules themselves for the official second ed . so DG MUST make a new rules set since the second ed that they swore up and down were the best thing since sliced bread really sorta belong to BF .

so they plan to make a third edition ? that implies major changes just so they cant be accused of riding the rules that BF made .

and so what happens after they make "3rd ed." , and get a 4TH distributor , who then (as has happened with FFG and BF ) rewrites the rules to their liking for 4th edition ?

Yes, it certainly has all the potential to keep going horribly wrong doesn't it soblue

I guess I'm trying (desperately ) to keep looking on the bright side. Surely Paolo will now try to find a competent business partner who can handle the commercial side, leaving himself free to do the creative stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a Pilot in the Dust plane?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
general hoth wrote:
Is there a Pilot in the Dust plane?

would it make you happier to know that the plane isnt falling , its being piloted straight into the ground ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marlowc wrote:

and keep in mind that :

Yes, it certainly has all the potential to keep going horribly wrong doesn't it soblue

I guess I'm trying (desperately ) to keep looking on the bright side. Surely Paolo will now try to find a competent business partner who can handle the commercial side, leaving himself free to do the creative stuff?

well he tried that 4 times already , because if you look back at where dust REALLY started , he took it to rackham , and thats how AT-43 was born . so i guess that means that they are looking for a FIFTH distributor . so i am realllllllllly .................what ever .

they HAVE to get another distributor , the game cant survive with only the website selling it , especially with their rediculious shipping prices .

as i said , i lost all faith in anyone , even at DS , doing anything helpful , and the warfare announcemnet just doubles down on it , because its another attempt to hand off something the COMPANY should be doing to fans . while some may really like the whole dust devils idea of fans running the organised play set up , people have to also realize that the dust devils have burned some bridges too , because they are a fan organization , and like all fan organizations , office plitics and personality conflicts are more pronounced than in companies that try to keep those issues out of the game itself .

i am sure we have all heard the saying "its yours to ruin" , and for as great of a game and idea as this all started out as , its sure seems at times like paolo is hell bent on making as many bad decisions as he can .

all anyone can do at this point ......or any other point in the future is pick wich edition you want to play , and find some people who can help you with blank cards and unit stats .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or get the DS crew to consolidate V1. Unlikely but best.cool
I am meeting the boys next week at troll and legends Belgium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cygnus 2112
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go for a consolidation of V1 with some tweaks. Barring that, just playing V1. I am looking at V2 like people look at Highlander 2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It is too bad he can't just go back to FFG and get them to roll back the clock pre-Battle Front and just have PDF's for the rules of the few BF models that came out; most of us prefer DT V 1.0 anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cygnus2112 wrote:
I would go for a consolidation of V1 with some tweaks. Barring that, just playing V1. I am looking at V2 like people look at Highlander 2...

Wait. There was a Highlander 2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:
Cygnus2112 wrote:

Wait. There was a Highlander 2?

like you can ever unsee that abomination !!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
general hoth wrote:
Or get the DS crew to consolidate V1. Unlikely but best.cool
I am meeting the boys next week at troll and legends Belgium.

oh but they cant , after the initial lies they told people when OLIVER and PAOLO said "these arent the official rules , they are just for the starters " to tamp down the panic when people saw the rules in the new BF starters ......... and then to make the PR laps on sites like beasts of war , and others , telling everyone how these rules were the best ever .................. now they have to take their "best ever" rules and one up them . so they cant be seen to go back to first ed , or it will make them lok like bigger liars than they already appear to some .

and in order to make the break from BF clear , it will most likely mean a drastically different . rules set , wich will likely upset upset some of the new players who will feel like it was ANOTHER bait and switch .

at this polit i am wondering how many more of these atempts to shoot this game in the foot it can take before players just give up . games workshop is starting to look not so bad now ................
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Cruz

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think updates to the Warfare 2.0 rules are a good thing. Yes, there have been updates to Tactics and the introduction of Battlefield but they are not Warfare. Warfare is, in my opinion, the best of the gametypes and would benefit from a point restructuring based off of new units, maybe a tweak of the ranges, etc. Yea, Warfare will be fan created and controlled but will also be approved by DS as official.

From the Official facebook page, it seems that the Warfare 2.0 documentation will be a free downloadable PDF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperCruz wrote:
....... Yea, Warfare will be fan created and controlled but will also be approved by DS as official.

but keep in mind , warfare was never DS's intention . it was FFG's initiative , and if you actually go back and read or listen to any of the times paolo talked about it in interviews , it was pretty clear that it was an unwanted stepchild . YES , it brings them in money , YES , it bring them in fans , but they dont seem to appreciate those facts for what they are . so just saying that SD has to approve it doesnt mean anything except that one of paolos close DD buddies wants to run it , paolo knows it needs to be run , but since its "not their bag" , they will rubber stamp what ever he comes up with , since its not like they them selves are going to play it . its just another gift , like giving the senior DD's the approved play program , which has caused atleast a few rows and rifts .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan Marwan مروان مروان
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
would it make you happier to know that the plane isnt falling , its being piloted straight into the ground ?

Hahahahahahaha...Best response and description of the events so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canyon Lynn
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Well.....

That sucks.

I just hope Dust survives, At least long enough to get me the Vrill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
At this point any effort made by Dust Studio or Battlefront that isn't completely focused on fulfilling the utter clusterf*ck that the Babylon kickststarter campaign has become simply tells me that all of those people (myself included) will never get what they paid for. And what that should tell everyone else out there, is to not support Dust in any form. The people behind the game have no regard for their customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasco van de Haar Pinto
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got into Dust buying the original and revised core sets. Seems really cool. I think I will try to buy a lot of the FFG boxes while they're still available and just keep playing tactics (revised) version 1 and ultimately try warfare version 1. Am I crazy to do so? I mean, you can ignore all the post-FFG releases, and have fun playing, right? Reading about all the mess kind of makes me feel like a lunatic that I'm hunting down as much (FFG)Dust as I can right now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theXkid wrote:
I just got into Dust buying the original and revised core sets. Seems really cool. I think I will try to buy a lot of the FFG boxes while they're still available and just keep playing tactics (revised) version 1 and ultimately try warfare version 1. Am I crazy to do so? I mean, you can ignore all the post-FFG releases, and have fun playing, right? Reading about all the mess kind of makes me feel like a lunatic that I'm hunting down as much (FFG)Dust as I can right now...

no , thats totally doable , and probably the best bet for any people wanting to get started in the game .

there are a lot of people who plan to stick with first edition , DG really screwed the pooch when the let BF write 2nd , and 3rd isnt looking anymore promising just based off the mess thus far .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.